Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-14-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Mounting ST winches - where to point the arms?

As above really, my shiny new STs arrived and they have fixed arms so I have to mount them in the right place first time. The instructions give some suggestions as to the orientation, and some online places suggest pointing them at the person operating the winch.
Thoughts before I start drilling holes in my boat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-14-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road
Re: Mounting ST winches - where to point the arms?

read the manual, some winches are oriented for the direction of the sheet lead in direction for the max strength of the bolt pattern and then the arm is located so the sheet will lead into the cockpit. the arm is usually on the left side of the winch as you tail the line
Old 08-14-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

The stripper arm should be at 5:00 o'clock to the person grinding. Also, the stripper arms generally are sleeved into the drum so by lifting the drum up off the splines it can be reoriented. Some winches like Lewmars have the stripper splined separately so that is all you have to adjust.

To mount the winches you want the idler gear to be facing the line as it enters the winch. Once bolted down, adjust the stripper arm as described and you're done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-14-2013

Like I said, the instructions have some suggestions, and the position of the arm is not adjustable. I guess I'll put them on and see how it goes, I can always drill some more holes.

Old 08-14-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Paule - see the attached. Does that plate (3) not mount in any of four orientations? Looks like rotating it would rotate the stripper orientation.

http://www.andersenwinches.com/aw/do...er3.2-3.2F.pdf

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 08-14-2013

Nope, the stripper arm mounts into 3 screw holes in the base assembly (15) on the diagram, so it's fixed in relation to the base. From page one:

"IMPORTANT
On the 28ST the self-tailing arm (2) is fixed in one position.
Ensure correct positioning of the self-tailing arm, before marking the bolt holes."
There's a very, very faint diagram on page 2 (I have to tilt my screen to be able to see it) that shows their suggestion of the arm positions, but what I don't know is if that's because that is where the grinder would typically be in relation to the winch, or whether that's the position to allow the sheet to tail into the cockpit, loading on the winch etc. If the latter, then fair enough, if the former, well, I mostly sail alone so I'd want then more orientated to the stern where I am

Old 08-14-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

Consider the angle that you will pull on the sheet because before you can use the self tailing you need some tension on the sheet so you may be pulling the sheet in with it in the tailing cleat. even though you single hand you will have crew on some days and if you are to the rear of the winch the crew may need to pull more from forward of the winch. pulling across the arm does not work well. the instructions seems to be placing it a about 7 o'clock to the operator. mine are about 8 o'clock because the sheet tailer is forward of the winch but still works fine when tailing from the aft position
Old 08-14-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Paul is correct. the only way you can change the alignment of the ST Arm is by altering the position of the winch base itself. We have Anderson 28STs and 52STs. On the 52s you can position the arm as you wish , within reason, but not on the smaller size.

Paul, if it would be of any help I have copies of the instructions that are much more legible than the absurdly small print of the online version. Let me know if you want and I'll send them to you.

Andrew B

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 08-14-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Generally, it is wise to have the stripper arms pointed toward one another across the width of the cockpit. In such manner, the sheets "unload" from the grips into the cockpit and allow one--or a tailer- to keep a good grasp on the sheets, locking them into the grips on the tops of the winches, without interfering with the person (perhaps oneself) grinding the winch. In any case, once you've got the things installed, make a habit of adding an additional "safety wrap" on the winch once you think you've got the sheet(s) trimmed up to ensure that it isn't knocked free of the grips by a clumsy crew moving about in the cockpit. That eventuality can create a very inopportune "Cluster Flock" at the most inconvenient times. BTDT...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 08-14-2013

Thanks Andrew - I have a paper copy that came in the box with the winches (although it's still absurdly faint). Basically looks like the port winch arm should point around 110-120 degrees, and the starboard around 290-300 degrees.
Anyway, nice looking winch, feels really solid and very well made. And shiny. Mmmmm, shiny.