Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-16-2013

Amateur_Expert is on a distinguished road
Best "Rigging Parts Configuration" 18'

Hi,

I have been working on this rig since Feb 2012.. (it's a '74 Laguna Windrose)finally getting around to replacing some rigging parts. Every T jaw is bent so I'll be replacing those (boy those bend easily). My question is what's the best 'parts connection configuration' is best? This should be an easy one for most of you but it's like rocket science for me! I couldn't find much on it...

I had someone tell me "if it fits, it goes" in relation to rigging parts.. is this ok to follow or not? I have seen alot of different setups.

I included pic of the forestay, backstay & shrouds.. boat is in the driveway but the parts are visible.

I would like to have the most accurate reliable connection for the forestay (and a "quick release pin" would be great. Currently the forestay has a quick release to loosen the cable but I would like to use a quick release of some sort at the final connection instead of the pin every time. It also has an extender, turnbuckle and some shackles.

The backstay works ok and is pretty simple.

The shrouds are (in my opinion) a conglomeration of shackles etc but seem to do the job, but the toggles are all bent.

Any recommendations on the best configuration to use?

Thanks!

Shawn T
Wichita KS
Attached Thumbnails
Best "Rigging Parts Configuration" 18'-backstay.jpg   Best "Rigging Parts Configuration" 18'-forestay.jpg   Best "Rigging Parts Configuration" 18'-shroud.jpg   Best "Rigging Parts Configuration" 18'-1974-laguna-windrose.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2013

Re: Best "Rigging Parts Configuration" 18'

On both the port and starboard outer shrouds I have 2 toggles.. they kinda bind up and bend sometimes.. would a small extender be worth a try to lessen the amount of toggles or does it not really matter?

I plan to replace that forestay extender.. is it ok to have the extender as your main connection at the stemhead?
Old 08-20-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

In my opinion, you need new standing rigging. All of it. You can continue to use what you have, it'll probably never fail, but there are a tremendous amount of potential failure points.

There should be a T-ball fitting at the mast, a swage and turn buckle at the bottom with a toggle, cotter pin and clevis pin. That's it. When I bought my boat I had some "extra" parts, some were bent, old. I replaced them all and have been very happy ever since. I know they won't fail.

I do not recommend quick release pins for standing rigging. Some work better than others, but you still need to use a safety with them.
Old 08-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
In my opinion, you need new standing rigging. All of it. You can continue to use what you have, it'll probably never fail, but there are a tremendous amount of potential failure points.

There should be a T-ball fitting at the mast, a swage and turn buckle at the bottom with a toggle, cotter pin and clevis pin. That's it. When I bought my boat I had some "extra" parts, some were bent, old. I replaced them all and have been very happy ever since. I know they won't fail.

I do not recommend quick release pins for standing rigging. Some work better than others, but you still need to use a safety with them.
Thanks for the input zz.

That's kind of the "boat" I am in with the "extra parts". I pretty much left it except for replacing a toggle and adding one and replacing a t-jaw. I was thinking about ordering some more replacements. I would like to replace the rigging this winter maybe.

It sounds like less is better... I will have to look up the parts you mentioned.
Old 08-21-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

One thing to keep in mind, especially on a rig that will be stepped and unstepped, is that you need to make sure you have toggles in place to align the load with the shroud. The entire assembly should be in a straight line and free to "swivel" in all directions so when you tighten a shroud, the hardware lines up.

Looks like this boat has had it's rig stepped and something was binding. It happens to me almost everytime I step my mast, just need to stop, straighten out the hardware, and continue.

Tags
rigging configuration