Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2013

71Seafer34 is on a distinguished road
Shroud Chainplate Consideration

Greetings all. Have been doing some searching on this topic but have not found much if any info on it so I want to open it up for discussion. My girlfriend and I own a 71' Seafarer 34 that we are restoring. The aim of the boat is to be a coastal cruiser first and a blue water boat down the line but I am of the mindest that I want to make all modifications for blue water now, especially concerning the rigging. The shroud chainplates on this vessel are not plates, they are U shaped 1/2" 304 stainless rings that are through bolted with backing plates to the hull/deck seam. The seam on this boat is structurally laminated and has no fasteners or mechanical retention, effectively there is no seam. These rings are epoxied into this area and look to be quite formidable. As pictured there are three as this is a single spreader mast. So, I would love to leave these alone, they look good and seem very strong. I have an idea to make them even stronger by linking them all together with a single backing plate that will be about 3' long. This will obviously follow the curvature of the hull and will also act as a bonding plate for multiple grounding wires to dissipate lightning strikes. I think it would be prudent to remove at least one ring from each side of the vessel to check for corrosion where they pass through the teak and deck but other than that I would like to leave it all as it is. My question is does anyone see a problem with this design? Is it unsafe, should I have I make the backing plate an "L" and epoxy it to the hull as well or is that overkill? Any input would be appreciated, thank you in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Shroud Chainplate Consideration-z-58-.jpg   Shroud Chainplate Consideration-z-59-.jpg  

Last edited by 71Seafer34; 08-18-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-18-2013

capttb is on a distinguished road
Re: Shroud Chainplate Consideration

Originally, I thought "Not Optimal, but it's held for 40 some years" then I looked at your album. Not exactly taking the easy road are you ?
I think the biggest concern is what's going on out of sight. Have they leaked from the top and compromised the area they pass thru do you think ? Seems like you got plenty to do, sure be nice to pull a couple of them for inspection if you can do so in a non-destructive manner.
BTW your stainless cross members kinda made my jaw drop, those oughta hold for awhile !

Last edited by capttb; 08-18-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-18-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

You need to pull those and inspect them.

Crevice corrosion is a real problem and those look like good candidates.
Old 08-19-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

With the amount of restoration going on here removing, inspecting, and reinforcing those "chainplates" will be a walk in the park.
christian.hess likes this.
Old 08-19-2013

Good points by all. I swear though that not one item on this boat has come off with anything even resembling ease. The remnants of my centerboard took four days to extract! I will probably have to dig but I will see what the situation is with the rings. If they are shot than I might opt for a more up to date design, one that doesn't pass through the hull perhaps? If they are not corroded do these seem like a viable blue water design? I have not seen another design like this although I am sure they exist. Thanks for the advice and encouragement
Old 08-19-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Well that design has lasted till now. I would replace with replicas. They look like they will be U bolts. Not going to be difficult to fabricate from SS rod.
Old 08-20-2013

Good point although this rigging had never seen anything substantial weather wise. I will dig into them and get them out and make an assessment. Even though may look like I am compulsively doing everything over on this boat I would like to avoid doing more than is required, I want to be enjoying here by next summer. Thanks for the input gang
Old 01-03-2014

seahawk is on a distinguished road

I have the same U-bots on my 77 Seafarer 38, had the same concerns, removed 3 starboard U-bolts looking for phantom leak, reinstalled after inspection as they looked good. I have pushed this boat hard and feel that the standing rigging will outlast the crew.
Old 01-03-2014

luhtag is on a distinguished road

For people referencing this thread in the future, if you are wondering about old chain plates, then just replace them. No matter how much of a pain, dig in and do it right.

There is no greater peace of mind than knowing your rig is bullet proof.
paul323 likes this.
Old 01-03-2014

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by luhtag View Post
For people referencing this thread in the future, if you are wondering about old chain plates, then just replace them. No matter how much of a pain, dig in and do it right.

There is no greater peace of mind than knowing your rig is bullet proof.
Well the discussion is not really about replacement, but more if the design was strong enough for offshore use.

Personally if I was really thinking I was going to take this boat offshore I would want to at a bare minimum reenforce it. I don't know if I would do a complete redesign but I would put in perhaps a backing plate that was connected to a bulkhead or something structural. I have only looked at one Seafarer, and it was not what I would say was overly strongly built. The owner had inherited it and was "refitting it for world travel" and I think he got in over his head quickly. The for deck on that boat was like a trampoline, it was kind of fun bouncing on it, but it was not confidence inspiring. I really liked the looks of it though, a really nice looking boat. I often wonder if there is not some variety of build on these as I have heard lots have done long passages.
christian.hess likes this.