Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-20-2013

dcianci179 is on a distinguished road
marine speakers

Hi
thinking of mounting speakers off the aft rail facing forward on our 30ft catalina. I'd love some suggestions of good speakers for the job. They will be exposed to occasional heavy sea spray while sailing and rain etc while in the dock. Don't want to break the bank, so the $900 speakers I saw on sale at west marine are a no go. Anyone have suggestions? The Marine Tower speakers by Boss have caught my eye but I'm not sure these are right as they seem to be geared toward the wake board motorboat crowd. I like that mounting option, just not sure the speakers will be able to survive on a sailboat.

Any advice appreciated!

Damon
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Re: marine speakers

I bought some Polyplanars that I mounted, facing aft towards the cockpit. So far, they are surviving well. They sound OK, not incredible, just OK.

MA800 - Compact Box Speakers | PolyPlanar Waterproof Marine Audio Systems

That's the issue, waterproof speakers are not goin to sound as good as non-waterproof ones for the same money.

If you just want to be able to hear your music or NPR over the engine, they work great.

I have an old pair of Realistic Minimus 7s down below, they sound really good - and the combination of all 4 isn't bad, either.
Old 08-20-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

PS, one of the neatest installations I've seen was a pair of box speakers in the cockpit cubbys - where they are quite well protected from the elements.
Old 08-20-2013

Irunbird is on a distinguished road

Or you could install inspection ports and mount them behind those. Almost any speaker can be mounted that way, but you may have to create a mounting frame since most speakers mount from the front surface. We did exactly what you describe using two of the mid-range WM speakers and they sound great.
Old 08-20-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

cut more holes in my boat when installing the sony speakers The whole boat is like a resonator LOL Don't need no stinking sub woofer! lol

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to deniseO30 For This Useful Post:
dcianci179 (08-22-2013)
Old 08-20-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

I am with Denise on this one...

I get compliments on my sound all the time with my $79 (speakers and dual deck on sale) stereo. And with one on eack side it looks factory and they are not in the way.
Old 08-20-2013

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road

Do you have any inspection ports that could double as a location for speakers? I did just that with two transom inspection ports. 6 1/2 Dual marine speakers fit perfect. No cutting required. If I'm remembering correctly even the screw holes matched up. Sound pretty good and not expensive. Plastic grills cracked a little from people leaning back on them but just replaced with new ones.

For enclosed speakers with better than decent sound check out some of the Bose outdoor speakers. They have several modles and sizes and not super expensive.
Old 08-20-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Speaker suggestions from another thread:

Bose 151 Speakers... Opinions

On my C30 my speakers are mounted in the area that corresponds to that of blu and Denise on their boats. We rarely use them (radio needs to be upgraded) but when we do, the sound is decent. I use my iPhone or iPad with an iHome speaker more often than not as the boat radio is not a priority at the moment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 08-20-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

I did not want to cut holes nor did I want large speakers. I bought some Pyle 3.5" outdoor box speakers from amazon for $20 and mounted them low on the pedestal guard facing aft. High enough to not get kicked but low enough to be out of the way. Probably about 6" up from the sole. They are angled at 45° towards the two back corners of the cockpit. I have measured no affect on the compass about 2.5' above. They sound amazingly good for a set of cheapies. My only complaint is that the grills have started to rust after 1 year. But for $20 they have exceeded my expectations.

Amazon.com: PYLE PLMR24 3.5-Inch 200 Watt 3-Way Weather Proof Mini Box Speaker System (White): Car Electronics Amazon.com: PYLE PLMR24 3.5-Inch 200 Watt 3-Way Weather Proof Mini Box Speaker System (White): Car Electronics

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 08-20-2013
Freedom 39

FarCry is on a distinguished road

I mounted these under my solar panel up high in the stern of my previous boat facing forward. They sounded great at background levels and cranked up getting compliments from everyone who stepped on board. Outdoor Speaker Pair Patio OSD Audio AP650

Tags
marine speakers