Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013

Irunbird is on a distinguished road
Bottom paint for racers?

I can't seem to locate enough opinions on this, so here goes- I'm looking for a good hard paint (possibly sandable), for an Olson 30 that is dry-sailed. The idea is that we occasionally keep the boat in the water for up to a week at a time and this time of year this is getting to be more work than it's worth-- then I spend a couple hours pressure-washing and scuffing off the growth.. it doesn't take long around here in the warmer months for stuff to grow). There are some bottom paints (the ablatives, I think) that are definitely out-- too much friction to be consider race-worthy. So I've looked at VC-17, but I'm not sure it really has anything in it to deter growth. Does anyone know if that's the better pick? Ideally, I'd like something that can be lightly sanded just a few times/year, and I can leave the boat in the water for up to 2 weeks without pulling her out and having to blast all the stuff off...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ray
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2013

Re: Bottom paint for racers?

Just read an opinion from waterline: https://www.waterlinesystems.com/ser...bottom-paints/
Does anyone have differing opinions between Baltoplate of VC Offshore?
Old 08-20-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

I have had good luck with both Interlux VC Offshore and Petit Trinidad SR. My bottom paint is sprayed, then sanded and burnished (no orange peel for me!). If you go this route, you will still get that brown algae growth that you will need to wash off before it dries and you put the boat back in storage. Not a big deal, but remember, there is no such thing as “maintenance free”.
MDBoatBabe likes this.
Old 08-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
I have had good luck with both Interlux VC Offshore and Petit Trinidad SR. My bottom paint is sprayed, then sanded and burnished (no orange peel for me!). If you go this route, you will still get that brown algae growth that you will need to wash off before it dries and you put the boat back in storage. Not a big deal, but remember, there is no such thing as “maintenance free”.
Don't I know it! I can handle a little washing. Sanding with scuff pads each time is getting old. This will be sprayed on, but I think this guy does a good enough job to not get orange peel (I've seen several bottoms he's done on other boats). What is "burnishing"? Is that done with a blow-torch?

Just googled it- "polishing to a shine".

Last edited by Irunbird; 08-20-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-21-2013

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road

Most racers here in the Northeast will use a hard modified epoxy bottom paint and wet sand to get a smooth finish.
MDBoatBabe likes this.
Old 08-22-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

You can't go wrong with balto or VC offshore. However, I'm not sure you can paint over VC-17. Might need to be removed first before recoating with something else. Boat's on the Ches Bay seem to like Baltoplate a lot. However, most of the antifouling (not much to begin with) is warn off midway through the season. Up to a week you should be ok. Guys burnish it up to 1200 grit. I do not recommend using it if you leave the boat in the water for more than 2 weeks, unless you like scrubbing before every race.
MDBoatBabe likes this.
Old 08-23-2013
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunbird View Post
Does anyone have differing opinions between Baltoplate of VC Offshore?
They are essentially the same product.

Know also that most non-ablative paints cannot withstand prolonged periods out of the water.

Instructions for hard paints from the Interlux web site:

Boats that have been in the water for more than 24 hours but less than 30 days – Pressure wash immediately after hauling. No additional work is needed if the boat is relaunched with 72 hours. IF the boat will be out of the water for more than 72 hours will need to be sanded with 220-grit sandpaper immediately prior to relaunching.

Storage & Launching for Boats with Hard Antifoulings | Interlux
MDBoatBabe likes this.
Old 08-24-2013

I'm starting to wonder if regular old VC Performance Epoxy might not be just fine. The boat will not be in the water generally for more than a few days, but occasionally for up to 2 or 3 weeks (maybe once or twice/year). All the extra sanding required (since I frequently leave the boat on the trailer for a week or two between races) doesn't make sense to pay the extra for all the added maintenance. I like to race, but I'm not that fanatical about having a perfect bottom-- you should see it now.. it's smooth, but definitely needs replacing soon.

Last edited by Irunbird; 08-24-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-25-2013
Windwalker - O'Day 34

stam22 is on a distinguished road

A lot of us have had good luck with Petit Vivid white bottom paint, which is a very hard ablative, if that makes sense. The big difference is that our boats are left in all season, so we need the extra protection. Althought I do see a few jBoats with Balto, which is extremely smooth when burnished, they are in all season.
Whether you are fanatical or not, if you race, you have to clean the bottom every week, two weeks at most. Have you ever tried a "Dri-diver?" It is an amazing piece of equipment, reaches everything except the keel.
Old 08-25-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunbird View Post
I'm starting to wonder if regular old VC Performance Epoxy might not be just fine. The boat will not be in the water generally for more than a few days, but occasionally for up to 2 or 3 weeks (maybe once or twice/year). All the extra sanding required (since I frequently leave the boat on the trailer for a week or two between races) doesn't make sense to pay the extra for all the added maintenance. I like to race, but I'm not that fanatical about having a perfect bottom-- you should see it now.. it's smooth, but definitely needs replacing soon.
why paint if you leave it in only those few weeks it would be easier to just have a diver clean it during the few weeks that you leave it in the water
MDBoatBabe likes this.