Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013

Familycruisers is on a distinguished road
Re: Why not cheap refrig components?

Amazon, 63 qt chest freezer/frig. Ac/dc and uses about 4 amps.Three year warranty and they ship pretty much everywwhere.paid around 500.

Last edited by Familycruisers; 08-23-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road

I believe you will find that a lot of house style components are not amused at the idea of working while heeled over. No problem if you're at the dock.
Old 08-23-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Heeling won't give them any trouble other than condensate drainage issues. The big thing would be space and efficiency. The marine units have a nice compact condensing unit. Their condensers are more of a commercial grade fan coil whereas most bar fridges have static condensers that cover the whole back of the fridge, or even built into the exterior walls of the box.

If you have the space for a small bar fridge in your boat go ahead and put one in. Power boats do it all the time.

It sure wouldn't work in my boat, and it is unlikely one will ever find it's way into any future boat I buy, but hey, to each their own!
deniseO30 likes this.
Hull#101
Old 08-23-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I think most sailboats have 2 battery banks of one each? with a 12volt refrigeration that usually works well for most over night anchoring use. $600-1,000

Inverter $100-200?
More batteries? $200-300
oh, and the dorm fridge. $80

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-23-2013

glymroff is on a distinguished road

I think the argument of inefficient power consumption from inverter (dc->ac), has a point where the cost of a particular dc item exceeds the difference or inefficiency of the power conversion.

It seems weird to me that the dc component would be more expensive than the ac. probably a supply and demand issue. (derailed rambling here).

I think i'm going to try out the cheap path first, rather than spend the money and wonder if I should not have gone the cheaper route. I lose a small amount of space, and little money for the test.

I have 3 banks, total of (8) 6 volts of 186ah ratings. I'm not sure what that works out to for supporting everything on board and a small ref rig unit.

Why there are 3 banks and not just 2, no answer. the PO had it setup this way. That's another thread :-)
Old 08-23-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Gly those 12/24 volt units are quite amazing little wonders of engineering. Yes they are pricey. Danfoss uses a module that costs as much as the compressor!

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-23-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Gly those 12/24 volt units are quite amazing little wonders of engineering. Yes they are pricey. Danfoss uses a module that costs as much as the compressor!
Denise, I thought you were in the AC business. Can you explain the function of the electronic module that Danfoss uses? To my way of thinking the compressor needs 12 volts, throw a switch and the compressor runs. Do you know what kind of magic the module is doing? Other than turning the compressor on and off depending on the internal temperature of the box, (pretty simple to do) the only other magic the module appears to do is to make your money disappear.
Old 08-23-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Glymoth,
that should be one large bank - and a small 12v as a starter, not two equal banks and certainly not three.

I added a 110v ice maker (180ish makes ice in 6 minutes and 33 pounds a day) to my boat this summer, it works underway off a 500w inverter. Man was not made to drink warm drinks. If it rots away in two years I'm still ahead on bags and blocks of ice, and certainly on carrying them up and down piers and such.

The installed fridge/freeze has a freezer that is the size of a dorm fridges, and the fridge is maybe 6 cubic feet. I can't get the temp in the fridge below 44 degrees.
I'm looking at options, but it can wait now that I have an ice maker.
Old 08-23-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
...If you have the space for a small bar fridge in your boat go ahead and put one in. Power boats do it all the time....
Standard stinkpotter approach? That's all I would need to know to understand it was a bad idea.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 08-23-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
Denise, I thought you were in the AC business. Can you explain the function of the electronic module that Danfoss uses? To my way of thinking the compressor needs 12 volts, throw a switch and the compressor runs. Do you know what kind of magic the module is doing? Other than turning the compressor on and off depending on the internal temperature of the box, (pretty simple to do) the only other magic the module appears to do is to make your money disappear.
I used to think the same way Captain. Plenty of electronics in heating, and air conditioning to Captain, Ive also done Refrigeration over the years but rather not. I've a few on demand water heaters out there now, that use 20 volt DC controls and boards in them (including the combi unit in my house LOL ) "sensors" replace so many things mechanical now.

Danfoss,
The module is the key, and I don't profess to an electronics expert captain. I believe if someone were to try and run a comp without the module it wouldn't work. I come from a time when things were electro/mechanical now everything is electronic!

I'll quote Richard Kollman on this. "He da man! in this area"
Technical Info needed on Danfoss Compressor DB2,5
If you connect power to across any of the pins on a Danfoss compressor you will destroy it and need to buy a new one. These 4 pin brushless compressors have two field coils inside and a speed transducer. Excitation of armature is accomplished by reversing chopping transistors inside the external electronic control module.

danfoss; Direct Current Compressors - Danfoss

there are "swing compressors" too
Swing motor | Technology

my current "project"!