Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013

OZWILD is on a distinguished road
RR Halyard Wrap..and SNAP! Help Needed.

Long story short:
Roller Reefer jammed and I put more elbow grease into the winch. Rule No. 1 broken. Halyard wrapped, then snapped. Have used a messenger to replace sheet as it was swallowed by the mast, but sent the wife aloft to inspect (and try to repair antenna bracket (another story)).
Couple of questions:
1. Can anyone ID the roller reefer system from the pictures?
2. If so, does the setup above the swivel look correct? To me, it seems odd that the top collar (round plastic bit) doesn't seem to be of any real function except catching water AND it slides up off the shroud, where as to my limited logic, some part of the setup should be preventing that from happening. Or has something has broken and been lost.
3. One picture shows the obvious issue with one wire coming away, but the entire stay appears to be unbinding. Should this be replace immediately, or can I get a few sails out of it beforehand?

Many thanks from a sailing idiot.
Attached Thumbnails
RR Halyard Wrap..and SNAP! Help Needed.-0008_001.jpg   RR Halyard Wrap..and SNAP! Help Needed.-0004_001.jpg   RR Halyard Wrap..and SNAP! Help Needed.-0003_001.jpg   RR Halyard Wrap..and SNAP! Help Needed.-0002_001.jpg   RR Halyard Wrap..and SNAP! Help Needed.-0005_001.jpg  

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road
Re: RR Halyard Wrap..and SNAP! Help Needed.

IMHO, you can see the reason why that black collar slides up, in the first picture - isn't that a hole for a missing fastener, right in the middle of the pic?

I think the purpose of the black plastic thing is to keep the halyard away from the top of the jib and the shackle, to prevent wraps.

Last edited by MarkSF; 08-23-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-23-2013

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

Personally, I would have a rigger take a look at things soon.
Old 08-23-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Isn't Profurl the company that ships those anti-wrap devices?

I follow the rule of never putting the furling line on a winch, then I can't overpower it to the point of breaking.

In my opinion that forestay should be replaced immediately.
rugosa likes this.
Old 08-23-2013

CLucas is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to CLucas

No idea what kind of furler that is -- pictures of the drum would help (the plastic piece in your photos suggests it's quite old/worn though). Your headstay should definitely be replaced, no question. You may be able to replace it without dropping the past, but based on what your photos show, I'd strongly suggest dropping the stick and having all your standing rigging inspected by a professional rigger who knows what to look for. It will be a piece of cake to reeve a new halyard as well. You may need to replace more than your headstay, but neglecting them could be far costlier in the long term. You could go a year or an hour or two before it fails -- don't wait.

You've already said it, but never put a winch against a furler -- the winch will always win. If it's too hard to furl, look for a halyard wrap, a tangle on the drum, a snag on the lazy sheet or just bear off and blanket the jib with the main to ease pressure on the sail you're furling.
1977 Pearson 30 #995
~~~~~~_/) ~~~~~~
Old 08-23-2013

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the reply.
I think the fastener / pin is actually in there (we are in Bahrain and it's very dusty), although it MAY be the sleeve. My wife could not see into the top of the part as she was too low, and just held the camera up, and it would not stop the top from spinning unless the pin went through the stay, which doesn't make sense.

The point about the other component preventing wear is a problem as well, as it shouldn't need to be so big in circumference, and much of the wear that can be seen does not look "fresh." I was thinking it might have been fitted upside down originally, because there are no drain holes and would just catch water in it's current configuration.

Thanks for replying,
John
Old 08-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandchris View Post
Personally, I would have a rigger take a look at things soon.
It's sure looking that way!
Old 08-23-2013

Unhappy Re: RR Halyard Wrap..and SNAP! Help Needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLucas View Post
No idea what kind of furler that is -- pictures of the drum would help (the plastic piece in your photos suggests it's quite old/worn though). Your headstay should definitely be replaced, no question. You may be able to replace it without dropping the past, but based on what your photos show, I'd strongly suggest dropping the stick and having all your standing rigging inspected by a professional rigger who knows what to look for. It will be a piece of cake to reeve a new halyard as well. You may need to replace more than your headstay, but neglecting them could be far costlier in the long term. You could go a year or an hour or two before it fails -- don't wait.

You've already said it, but never put a winch against a furler -- the winch will always win. If it's too hard to furl, look for a halyard wrap, a tangle on the drum, a snag on the lazy sheet or just bear off and blanket the jib with the main to ease pressure on the sail you're furling.
Cheers,
Pretty much what I thought but didn't want to speak out loud....
Biggest issue is a quality rigger here in Bahrain - we are docked at the Bahrain Yacht Club and they don't even have one, or know of one (it's a different world over here). A rigger is someone who puts up scaffolding.
Appreciate the advice. Racing season starts in three weeks. Looks like we won't be in the running this year.
Old 08-23-2013

mike21070 is on a distinguished road

John,

I see you are in Bahrain. Do you live there, or are you passing through? I'm in Abu Dhabi, just down the way from you, and it's nice to see someone else on this forum from the Middle East. How's the sailing over there?

Mike

PS: Sorry, but I have no idea about how to help you with your problems...
Old 08-23-2013

saltydognl is on a distinguished road

Hi, the top cap is not installed upside down it could have been if the top /inside wasnt so long it would then fit down over the top of the furler profile. The furler looks like it might well be profurl, I have profurl myself and had to replace two sections and rig it all myself Profurl put stickers on the lower part of the furler drum. others stamp their names in them.Your lucky you didnt damage the furler profile as each length (6ft) is $300.

Inside the top of the profile should be a piece ie a joint piece thats held in by grub screws so that the forestay is held in the middle. Now technically you dont need that pot on top what you need to do is make sure that the angle of the halyard from the top of the sail to the pulley block is sufficient to keep the halyard away from the profile so it doesnt catch in the groove. However there are other methoda of doing this some good some not so good. Go to the Profurl site and check how they do it. it will at least give you some idea of what your dealing with.

Good luck. Enjoy the heat of Bahrain. I was there back in 1966.

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to saltydognl For This Useful Post:
OZWILD (08-24-2013)