Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-21-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One thing to be aware of—Composite Rudder Posts can fail catastrophically without any real warning... it's happened on some production and custom boats in the last couple of years, so... YMMV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2006

IslandOne is on a distinguished road
Building a new rudder sounds like an interesting and instructive project..if you don't have the time and/or inclination go to www.newrudders.com and search their database for available rudders...I purchased one from them and was very pleased.
Old 10-26-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Be careful with newrudders.com, which is Foss Foam. They're one of the few 'rudder shops' at all and my friend used them after getting great reccomendations. But first they shipped (ka-ching) a rudder built to the wrong dimensions, then they lost weeks reshipping it (didn't pick up on time, didn't ship on time) and there were some weeks when no one answered the phone at all. No excuse ever given.

This wasn't an all-custom rudder, he only wanted a "notch" on it changed to match his hull profile. What shipped simply had been changed to the wrong dimensions, not the ones they were given.

If they have a stock replacement on hand for your stock rudder and all they need to do is ship it...and answer their phone...it might work out OK.

The new rudder has been OK so far, but would my friend use them again? Preferably not, they simply dropped the ball too many times. The product seemed OK, the service sadly unfocussed.
Old 10-26-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Life is too short to deal with companies with bad customer service... if they don't want my business...I will happily take it elsewhere.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-26-2006
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
SD-
Yeah, that's about the way I figure. In this day and age, telephones can always be forwarded. Answering machines (even at the telco exchange) can always give a message. Someone can always pick up a phone and say "I'm flying to Ganjou for a funeral, we've closing the shop for ten days."
Or, I'd be equally content to hear someone say "Yeah, we were at sea, went racing and had some gear failures, couldn't get back to you till we made land."

Of course, considering what it costs to ship a rudder, and what it costs to keep a boat on the hard because you can't sail WITHOUT THE RUDDER...I'd expect more than flowers in the morning after I'd been sent a wrong rudder.

But that's just me, I'm a hard customer.
Old 10-26-2006
Telstar 28

I fully agree with you... and it doesn't take much to just say, "Yeah, we got your message, and I'm sorry but we've been swamped/out of town/in the hospital/whatever, but this is the first chance I've gotten to get back to you..." which goes a long way to making things much better.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 12-06-2009
Mark on Camper 58

NICHOLSON58 is on a distinguished road
Interesting reading. I'm building my own new rudder this winter. The post at the bearing is 4" solid SS and is machined tapered to 2-1/2 inch at the lower bearing. (skeg mount). The blade is 36 x 72 and 6 inches thick at the lead edge. The shaft has three welded on SS ribs to transmit load tothe skin. Thie old glass was water blistered and the foam core was wet. All together the shaft is about 9 feet long. It took a fork truck to put it in my truck. (400 # plus) Its stripped down in my basement now. I love the smell of resin curing.

My plan will be to build up glass over the ribs and fair the lines over the ribs. Next I will cast HD foam all around and then sand it fair, leaving the glass on the ribs exposed. It will then hang shaft horizontal from the basement ceiling while I form Graphite skin around it.

I found that the designers had arranged a lifting eye on the mizzen boom directly over the emergency rudder access cover on the deck. The mizzen vang drops neatly through and lits me winch it back into position.

I'd love to move the center of effort aft a bit but the skeg mount eliminates this option.