SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Wakes and the depth gauge (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/102940-wakes-depth-gauge.html)

HaleyF 08-25-2013 10:16 PM

Wakes and the depth gauge

I posted something similar to this in the Catalina section but I don't think anyone reads that haha.

This is a 2 part question I guess, the past couple weeks it's been very busy in the Long Island Sound and I've had to jump a couple wakes from *delightful* giant powerboat owners. Is there a good way to deal with large wakes? I feel like it can't be good for the boat to smack down into the water. Part 2 of my question is that after hitting a couple large wakes my depth gauge is acting up. It'll show the actual depth, and then flash something like 2.5 feet. Could something have been knocked out of place? I'm not really familiar with the system so don't know where to look to check. My only other thoughts were either the battery is almost dead or there are just a lot of fish that follow me around :)

PaulinVictoria 08-25-2013 10:45 PM

Re: Wakes and the depth gauge

Take the wake at an angle rather than straight on.
As to the depth sounder, the flashing often indicates that the sounder isn't actually able to get a reading. They are not infallible, especially when they are getting thrown around over wakes as they can get false signals from all the turbulence. Mine doesn't seem to give me a reading if I am heeled to port more than about 15 degrees.

br3nt 08-26-2013 12:58 AM

AFAIK depth finders don't like air bubbles as it disrupts their readings. Lots of bubbles in those wakes.

overbored 08-26-2013 01:19 AM

you need to look at the sender. many are mounted on the inside of the hull and epoxied, siliconed or glued in place and it may be loose. air between the mounting. hull and the water will make the reading off. it could also be a loose electrical connection

SHNOOL 08-26-2013 07:18 AM

Yeah my depth sounder is behind my keel (not the best place I know)... but turbulence messes with it with lots of wake, or excessive speed. So I suspect that's the reading issue, as long as it settles down after a while.

but yeah take the wakes at 20-30 degrees and it'll be easier on you and the boat. As for the boat taking it, it should NOT be a problem. The Catalina 25 is a tough boat...

LesleyS 08-26-2013 06:15 PM

Wakes and the depth gauge

As for dealing with "strafing runs" by power boaters and wave runners - the best strategy I heard was someone who carried an automatic paintball "machine gun" in the cockpit to "mark" the hull of the offender - LOL!

HaleyF 08-26-2013 06:22 PM

Haha! We were thinking of making a sign with a giant middle finger on it.