SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Holding tank on P26 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/103048-holding-tank-p26.html)

bblument 08-28-2013 11:17 AM

Holding tank on P26

Howdy, all...

I've got a 1972 P26 with a flexible holding tank in the dinette locker with unknown capacity (6 gallons?) and no vent. I'd like to put in a rigid tank, but there's not much space in there; the access panel is 14" square, there's only 10" vertical clearance on the port side of that panel, and only 22" from the vertical wall most inboard to the far edge of the panel. I've found a couple tanks that would fit, but that doesn't allow for fittings. Dan Pfeiffer's site shows the tank underneath the v-berth, but he also moved his freshwater tank forward to allow for it. I'm not sure I want to go through all that.

Can of you current or former p26 owners chime in with how you had your holding tanks setup?

Thanks!

Barry

P.S. I do have Peggie Hall's book on order, but I'm hoping someone can chime in with specific location and other tips on the P26.

sawingknots 08-28-2013 12:18 PM

Re: Holding tank on P26

I installed my holding tank[about 20 gallons]on my py26 under the vee birth with the pump out directly above thu the foredeck,the vent just below the rub rail

bblument 08-28-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawingknots (Post 1080771)
I installed my holding tank[about 20 gallons]on my py26 under the vee birth with the pump out directly above thu the foredeck,the vent just below the rub rail

Thank you for the reply, Sawing. Mine currently has a vented loop between the toilet and the holding bladder; probably left over from the original pre-1977 ban on overboard direct discharge. I do have a pumpout fitting ondeck already plumbed to the bladder, and it's pretty much behind the toilet itself up on deck. I'd like to keep that.

How and where exactly in the v-berth did you mount your tank? Did you build a level platform into the hull? I've got the intake through-hull, my depth sound transducer, and knot meter sender all under the v berth, aft of the fresh water tank. How did you deal with all of that stuff and put a tank in? Do you, by any miracle, have a pic?

Thanks again for the reply.

Barry

sawingknots 08-28-2013 03:56 PM

sorry no pic,i glassed in a platform for the tank,none of my tru hulls,tranducers etc are under the vee birth

Sunday Driver 08-28-2013 04:10 PM

I had a custom 20 gallon tank made by a plastic company in Mass. sorry forgot the name 6 years ago ..
cost about $600 with a internal baffel came threaded 1 1/2 for fill and drain plus 1" for vent placed where I wanted them

dbruce85 08-28-2013 04:54 PM

Mine was set up with the water tank in the Dinette Locker and a flexible (bladder) tank under the vee birth. Was always afraid someday it would fail.
Was going to convert it to a tank but ended up selling and moving to a larger boat.
Still miss her.

PNWvagabond 12-02-2013 07:56 PM

I'm in a similar situation with my islander 28. I just had a custom holding tank made to fit in the Port side V berth in my boat. I had to cut the plywood out to fit the tank in (luckily the tank fits) but now I need to figure out how to make the tank stable. I thought a tough foam like A and B would work to stop it from rolling, but am now wondering if maybe i should just use a ratchet strap to hold it in place. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also with the hoses, can i add an elbow in line so it fits in spaces better or would that cause an issue down the line?

JimsCAL 12-02-2013 08:22 PM

PNW, first step would be to build a flat platform for the tank to sit on, then fit blocking to hold it in place. Keep in mind 1 gallon is about 8 pounds, so a full 10 gallon tank is 80 pounds. Think about the forces as the boat pitches up and down in some sea. Trying to hold an unsupported tank with just a strap is not a good idea.

ccriders 12-07-2013 08:21 PM

On my p28 I put a holding tank in the locker just outboard of the head. I used a 16 gallon tank which has proved to be much too large for me.