SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   CNG stove and microwave (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/103049-cng-stove-microwave.html)

Dave_E 08-28-2013 12:43 PM

CNG stove and microwave

Hi All,

The boat (that's almost mine, an Allmand 31) has a PNG gimbled 2 burner stove/oven. I'm told that PNG is kind of a thing of the past and many ports will not have PNG service. Can I simply change out the gas source and use the same stove/oven?

The wife also wants a microwave on shore power. Anyone do that?

Dave

Faster 08-28-2013 12:50 PM

re: CNG stove and microwave

Perhaps you mean CNG (Compressed Natural Gas)? CNG stoves can be converted to propane, it primarily involves burner orifice modification, I think. CNG availability is not as good as propane, and with CNG you're carrying high pressure cylinders on board. On the plus side it's lighter than air so leaks will dissapate rather than collect in the bilge- it's inherently a safer gas, but stored under higher pressures, and is slightly slower to cook with.

If you plan to cruise BC waters CNG may become problematic from a supply perspective.

Many boats have microwaves, however the power draw is large and requires shore power or rather large, greedy inverters.. They also take up a chunk of storage space, something often in already short supply on many boats.

Dave_E 08-28-2013 01:01 PM

Yes, CNG... my bad. :o

SlowButSteady 08-28-2013 01:20 PM

CNG is becoming more available, particularly on the West Coast, as more and more CNG cars are coming on the market. However, farther afield it will almost certainly be difficult to find.

Faster 08-28-2013 01:21 PM

Re: CNG stove and microwave

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave_E (Post 1080753)
Yes, CNG... my bad. :o

... fixed the thread title for you. ;)

Captainmeme 08-28-2013 01:24 PM

I bought a CNG stove and converted it over to propane. There are orifice kits available from
the stove manufacture. However, being the cheap sailor I am, I re-sized the orifice by soldering it closed then drilling the correct size. You want to be scared, very scared of having propane on board. As said before any leaks collect in the bilge. You will have sniffers, electric shutoff devices, correct hosing, correct housing for the tank(s). There are threads here on the requirements for a proper installation.

Stay safe my friend.

Captainmeme 08-28-2013 01:31 PM

Found one thread:
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...e-systems.html

SlowButSteady 08-28-2013 01:43 PM

Is it time to start a "just get a non-pressurized alcohol stove and relax" thread hijack?

outbound 08-28-2013 02:53 PM

Went back and forth on this microwave business with the bride. She wanted one so on build plans put in electrical socket appropriately placed. However, after talking with and having dinner with various cruisers we didn't put one in. Check out the new technology pressure cookers. Make great food, use much less energy, much less loss of storage and if they break not a big deal to replace.
?is that a thread hijack?

svHyLyte 08-28-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by outbound (Post 1080835)
Went back and forth on this microwave business with the bride. She wanted one so on build plans put in electrical socket appropriately placed. However, after talking with and having dinner with various cruisers we didn't put one in. Check out the new technology pressure cookers. Make great food, use much less energy, much less loss of storage and if they break not a big deal to replace.
?is that a thread hijack?

As, when, if you get to a really hot climate, you may have a change of heart. Being able to quickly reheat pre-prepared meals using all of your energy to simply heat the food and not the pots and pans, water and cabin can make a world of difference to one's comfort during summer months (as I/We have discovered!)

FWIW...