Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2013
Scurvy Dog

Reef33 is on a distinguished road
Question Plastic dinghy repairs

I have an old Sandpiper 8 dinghy and I just can't bring myself to junk any type of boat. It is still perfectly fine for me to use for mooring maintenance or puttering around in the wetlands. Problem is the bottom is wearing out. I am looking for advice on repairing the bottom of a plastic dinghy.

A few (twelve?) years ago I tried using epoxy and fiberglass cloth, but that didn't hold up well (see pictures). Any other ideas to save this old "classic"? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Plastic dinghy repairs-img_0457-350x261-.jpg   Plastic dinghy repairs-img_0454-350x261-.jpg   Plastic dinghy repairs-img_0455-350x261-.jpg   Plastic dinghy repairs-img_0449-350x261-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2013

FSMike is on a distinguished road
Re: Plastic dinghy repairs

You might try googling some motorcycle forums. They, especially off road bikes, use plastic fenders and gas tanks, etc. There are various repair materials available for fixing those. The types of plastic used vary, and so do the repair materials. As I understand it, you do a form of what is called welding to fix cracks, holes, etc. I once saw a book for sale which showed how to fix each type of plastic.
Don't know how this would work if you wanted to redo an entire bottom.
The Following User Says Thank You to FSMike For This Useful Post:
Reef33 (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

Looks to me like your dinghy is FRP (fiberglass) after all and not plastic (hdpe).
It also looks to me as though you did not fair (sand) around the holes/cracks before putting epoxy and cloth back on.
It also looks to me as though you did not put nearly enough layers of epoxy and cloth over the keel, which is the wear point on that hull.
You should probably use a thickening powder like West Systems 403 or 404 for this job too.
Try again.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-30-2013
Jnoiur Mebemr

StormBay is on a distinguished road

If it is indeed plastic West Systems G/flex is what your looking for. It works on HDPE, LDPE, ABS, PVC, and polycarbonate. I believe Sandpipers are made out of ABS plastic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by StormBay; 08-30-2013 at 03:37 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to StormBay For This Useful Post:
Reef33 (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

if it is waxy plastic, heat gun and empty and clean milk bottles and a metal backing piece that you move as you actually weld the plastic to the boat with heat. my plastic kayak that had a hole in it has been fixed perfectly with that process. if it truly i splastic, g flex will not work. btdt.
34crealock likes this.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

The Following User Says Thank You to zeehag For This Useful Post:
Reef33 (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013
Maine Dub

34crealock is on a distinguished road

I tried marine silicone goop and it did not keep the water out for a week. I think when the plastic gets too brittle it is time to junk the dink. It seems when you fiberglass one bad spot another pops up. If you glassed the entire bottom of the hull it might give you a few more years but at what cost?
The Following User Says Thank You to 34crealock For This Useful Post:
Reef33 (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013

the plastic kayak i bought in 2001 is again water tight after my repair with welding plastic to the original plastic--is not as hard as it seems but you need to use a metal block back to do it right---and my plastic dinghy, wb8, and my plastic kayaks have not become brittle in sun of tropics--red kayak is 2001, walker bay is 2002 or older, and yellow kayak is 2011. mebbe it is different if one actually uses the plastic boat---i saw 2 on land in mazatlan with cracked and brittle plastic--was a cheapo coleman row boat left there by someone some unknown number of years ago, and an unidentified plastic generic boat left for storage in bright desert like sunlight

i had tried EVERYTHG to patch that hole--i used that kayak as my main dinghy in sd---nothing worked.nothing....when this plastic was heat gunned to the boat---hooyaaahhh--i again had my provisioning kayak intact. is still good and not damaged after one years service so far. is a win!!!!!!

Last edited by zeehag; 08-30-2013 at 10:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to zeehag For This Useful Post:
Reef33 (08-30-2013)
Old 08-30-2013
Jnoiur Mebemr

StormBay is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
if it is waxy plastic, heat gun and empty and clean milk bottles and a metal backing piece that you move as you actually weld the plastic to the boat with heat. my plastic kayak that had a hole in it has been fixed perfectly with that process. if it truly i splastic, g flex will not work. btdt.
G-Flex is specifically for plastic... Straight from West's site "Repairs plastic canoes, kayaks and inflatables made from HDPE, LDPE, ABS, PVC or polycarbonate plastic" Heres a video G-Flex Torture Demo

Last edited by StormBay; 08-30-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormBay View Post
G-Flex is specifically for plastic... Straight from West's site "Repairs plastic canoes, kayaks and inflatables made from HDPE, LDPE, ABS, PVC or polycarbonate plastic" Heres a video G-Flex Torture Demo

maybe that info works for those of you who have yet to fix a waxy plastic boat--but where in my saying been there done that does it say i have yet to try it---is one of the first things i tried and has a huge FAIL on it it just does not work. not at all. g flex ifs a badly inferior alleged fix when compared to returning the plastic to the boat in welding it with a heat gun and the things the boat was originally made of , if it is waxy plastic-- old used but clean milk jugs and water jugs of the non transparent kind. .please stop insulting my intelligence an d experience. it took me 5 years to finally get the fix on my waxy plastic kayak done correctly-- gflex is NOT the answer, sorry BTDT. now, if you like your dinghies to have incoming water problems, please by all means use g flex-- but NOTHING, not even gflex, bonds with waxy plastic except more of itself. with heat.

yes i followed directions rodlmao

Last edited by zeehag; 08-30-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-30-2013
Scurvy Dog

Reef33 is on a distinguished road

Wow, great response, thanks everyone. I can assure you that the dink is some type of plastic and not fiberglass. And it was well prepped when I put on that fiberglass cloth and epoxy many years ago.

That G-flex video is hilarious, and it looks awesome. I'm on more of a milk-carton and heat gun budget because it is such a large area to cover, but might cough up the $$ for the G-flex if that doesn't work. I had used the West System epoxy on the old repair, but never tried G-flex. I suppose dragging it on the beach all those years didn't help matters any .

It is double hulled and the inner hull is still water-tight, so I can use it for now. But I would like to stop the water from filling up the outer hull, it makes it a bugger to drag when full of water.....

Scourge of the Upper Chesapeake since 1993.

Tags
dinghy plastic repair

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.