Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-30-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road
installing new water system

I'm jummping into installing a water system into my new to me Tartan 30 the tank looks good but I am hesitant to use it just cuz of who knows what. I am thinking I will do a membrane then run the hose. just looking for any input. I'm about to start researching but will ask here first. I have a 22 gallon tank that I dont think leaks but would probably feel more comfortable getting a new membrane. I have a sink in the head and a sink in the galley. I assume I need a pump, etc... Can some one talk me through their install. thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-30-2013

bristol299bob is on a distinguished road
Re: installing new water system

I have seperate "tanks" for drinking water: two 5 gal food grade jugs mounted permanently in the lazarette. In the galley I have two pumps ... A hand operated pump for drinking water, plumbed directly to the drinking water tanks. And a foot operated pump plumbed to the main tanks for washing and everything else.

I rigged a whole house charcoal filter (Omnifilter) with a hose attachment. Only filtered water goes into my tanks.

Personally not a fan of a bladder, previous boat had one and it affected the taste. It could have been the age, not sure, but it turned me off to bladders.
Hull #5
Oriental NC
Old 08-31-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamx View Post
I'm jummping into installing a water system into my new to me Tartan 30 the tank looks good but I am hesitant to use it just cuz of who knows what. I am thinking I will do a membrane then run the hose. just looking for any input. I'm about to start researching but will ask here first. I have a 22 gallon tank that I dont think leaks but would probably feel more comfortable getting a new membrane. I have a sink in the head and a sink in the galley. I assume I need a pump, etc... Can some one talk me through their install. thanks for any help.
I think I could offer some help here - if I could just figure out what the heck you're talking about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 08-31-2013

Talking about how to go about installing a water system. Like for water in the galley and head sink (I bought the boat without a working water system, no plumbing, faucets, but the tank looks good and the sea cocks are present for drainage) For a more specific question I will set it up like this. I think the original tank is good still? But not sure I would want to drink out of it after 40 years of who knows what has been in there. So I was considering putting a bladder in there instead. However, I dont think I will be using it for drinking water anyway so I may use the original tank. So one question I have is how are the water tanks usually sealed on the top? right now there is just a tight fitting piece of wood closing off the top and that does not seem water tight. I can run all the plumbing no problem (well probably a few problems). My other question is about how to get the water to the faucet? Like what kind of pump do I want and how is it wired to turn on when one turns the faucet on? Or do I not need a pumb at all? Any other issues that I may be missing. I re read this and edited it so I hope it makes more sense.
Old 08-31-2013

tjvanginkel is on a distinguished road

There are lots of options for you. You can spend just about as much money as you want on a freshwater system. One thing to consider is if want an electric pump or a manual pump, and where would you mount it. Look around your boat and at the specs on the pumps to help with that decision. Go to any website of a large marine retailer and start researching your choices. Westmarine freshwater pumps for example will list all kinds of pumps and their sizes, power draw etc.
Tanya
Old 08-31-2013

Cheaper the better really. I dont personally care it its there or not but would like to get it back to like original condition for resale value as I hope to sell in a few years and right now it just has a porta potty and no water. Figure I should at least do the water.
The Following User Says Thank You to abrahamx For This Useful Post:
mattnj (09-16-2013)
Old 08-31-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

A pump like this is all you need: SHURFLO Aqua King Automatic Pressure Water Pumps at West Marine
Run your 1/2 inch tubing from the tank to the pump "in" hose barb. Run the "out" line from the pump to a manifold. The manifold can split the water into a line for the hot water heater and a line to the sinks. The line from the hot water heater can run along side the cold water lines to the sinks. With the shurflo pressure pump, you need no pressure tank as the pump holds pressure in the line after the faucets are shut off. Opening the faucets will cause the pump to switch on until the faucet is closed again. You can use household faucets as they are much cheaper than the marine variety.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sailnetters are the greatest people in the world!

Island Packet 31
Melbourne, FL
(formerly Rock Hall, MD)
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaduction For This Useful Post:
JoeLena (09-11-2013)
Old 08-31-2013

olson34 is on a distinguished road

You need to clean out the original tank. If it came without a clean-out port, you need to add one.
If the hoses are ancient, then run new ones -- they are not expensive. I did our whole water system with new hose from a local industrial hose and fittings place. They have everything from high pressure hydraulics stuff to potable water hose to bilge hose; there's likely a similar vendor near you in any large city.

Bladder tanks... range from barely acceptable to ... not.
When it's time to resell that boat, buyers are real wary of 'em too. Stick to plastic or SS for drinking water. Avoid aluminum.

If you reach the point of needing a new tank, contact Ronco. They have oodles of designs in rotomolded tanks and the cost is low. They can put in clean-out ports and all the gozinta/gozouta fittings right where you want 'em. Great folks to deal with.

Loren
Old 08-31-2013

seascene is on a distinguished road

I have used a West Marine bladder tank in under the v birth.. about 30 gallons I think. No problem... easy to remove and rinse out at the dock. My only concern is what plastic material they use. I am now hearing some plastics are not recommended for storing drinking water. I have had no off taste once rinsed with vinegar and baking soda couple of times. I keep 2 of those large 5 gallon blue water containers beneath the floor boards as back up. Since I am a coastal cruiser I do have access to water when needed.
Old 08-31-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

I'm with Olson34.
Get some fresh water and some sodium hypochlorite (bleach) in there and let it slosh around for a few days. That'll kill most anything living in there. If it doesn't leak then you are good to go.
Get a simple pump faucet or one with a foot switch for your main sink (& head sink if you need that too).
Water systems can get fairly complicated but it sounds to me like you are NOT asking about pressurized or hot water systems.
Keep it simple.

Everybody has one: