SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   iPad GPS accuracy? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/103153-ipad-gps-accuracy.html)

groundhog 08-31-2013 12:14 PM

iPad GPS accuracy?

Do all iPads have crap GPS functionality, or just mine?
I have a 4 wifi only and bought it for navigation.

tommays 08-31-2013 12:18 PM

Re: iPad GPS accuracy?

There is NO GPS CHIP in a WI-FI only i-device you can buy a bluetooth GPS receiver and do it that way

The GPS chip is ONLY in the more expensive units that can receive data on 3G or what ever is new this week

groundhog 08-31-2013 12:23 PM

Hmmmm...
Then why is it working?...badly.

tommays 08-31-2013 12:28 PM

If it has a WI-FI single it can do a hafe-azz job of finding your location based on the singles location

Tim R. 08-31-2013 12:28 PM

Because it is trying to locate you via the cell network which is not very accurate.

mr_f 08-31-2013 12:43 PM

I use a bluetooth gps made by Dual (there are others, but not all bluetooth GPS work with the iPad). Has some advantages over the GPS that is built in to the 3g/4g iPads (such as better accuracy, and uses its own battery so doesn't drain the ipad as fast) but also has some disadvantages (such as needing to wait for it to connect after the ipad wakes from sleep... just a few seconds, but still annoying). I have the wi-fi only version too, so it was necessary.

scratchee 08-31-2013 01:02 PM

Sorry for stating the obvious, but GPS = "Global Positioning System." This is a system of satellites that a GPS receiver uses to locate itself within the area covered by the satellites (which includes the entire surface of the Earth.)

There are several different ways to navigate with an electronic device, but if it doesn't have a GPS receiver then it's not GPS.

If it does have a GPS receiver, then it should easily be able to fix your position to within 30 feet or so. The only real variable (other than special techniques available only to the military) is the sensitivity of the receiver; the more sensitive the receiver, the more satellites it can receive and the better the nav solution. I suggest that you simply check the specs of your device to see if it has a GPS receiver.

Slayer 08-31-2013 01:22 PM

I have the 3G and was checking out its accuracy on the water last week and it was pretty accurate. Thirty feet or less off.

groundhog 08-31-2013 01:49 PM

Just re-read the full specs and you are correct.
And the cellular enabled specs say assisted GPS...

scratchee 08-31-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groundhog (Post 1082271)
Just re-read the full specs and you are correct.
And the cellular enabled specs say assisted GPS...

So does your WiFi-only device also have GPS?