Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 08-31-2013

seascene is on a distinguished road
Plastimo and Nauta bladder material

Just wondering about the material used for these bladders. I searched the site and apparently Plastimo did not return an inquiry as to the safety of the material used. I have also search the web and was not able to find anything definitive about the safety of material use for storage of drinking water for these products. Input welcome... thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-31-2013

hopcar is on a distinguished road
Re: Plastimo and Nauta bladder material

"Natua flexible water tanks use an exclusive TedlarTM inside lining to maintain a taste-free system. No venting is required for water tanks."

From the Imtra website.
The tank may still kill you, but the water will taste good.
Old 09-01-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopcar View Post
"Natua flexible water tanks use an exclusive TedlarTM inside lining to maintain a taste-free system. No venting is required for water tanks."

From the Imtra website.
The tank may still kill you, but the water will taste good.
We have two Nauta Water Tanks aboard our boat and have had relatively few problems and no taste issues. The fittings on the tanks are designed such that they can be removed and one can reach one's hand/arm into the tanks to give them a scrub if necessary. We've only had to do that once in the last 10 years when we took aboard some water that turned out to have some debris in it. I was able to remove and clean the tanks and sanitize them, and flush the water lines, relatively easily. (We now carry a clear under-sink canister type water filter with a 10 micron element and threaded hose barbs on each end that allow us to thoroughly filter any water going into our tanks. An additional 2 micron filter/activated charcoal filter between the raw water feed on the output side of the pressure pump ensures that the water is pretty good before it gets to the lines/hot water heater.)

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 09-01-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

I am looking into them for my Sprite. The 9 gallon tank in my boat was molded into the hull 50 years ago.. what comes out is not pleasant

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-01-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
I am looking into them for my Sprite. The 9 gallon tank in my boat was molded into the hull 50 years ago.. what comes out is not pleasant
Art--

We had a similar situation with the water tank on our prior yacht. I finally cut a 6" dia. hole in the top of the tank and used that to scrub out and sanitize the interior of the tank (suctioning out the filthy water with a shop vac) and then dry it out (with the discharge from old ladies hair drier purchased at a salvage store for $5--set on low and allowed to run for several hours). Once the tank was cleaned out, we cut a 2" diameter hole in the bottom for the discharge line from a small bladder tank and slipped the tank into the shell of the old tank through the larger hole in the top by rolling it into a tube. The old tank merely acted as a convenient holder for the bladder tank. A plastic inspection plate was used to cover the larger hole in the top of the old tank. From what I understand, the bladder tank is still working well.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 09-01-2013

seascene is on a distinguished road

I am using a Platismo bladder and have no probs with it. The question is about how safe is the material used to build these bladders.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.