Watertight blind bolts? - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-01-2013
GrahamO's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portsmouth NH
Posts: 180
Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 3
GrahamO is on a distinguished road
Watertight blind bolts?

I need to mount a couple of plates on my transom for my davits. One of them is in a REALLY inaccessible location from the inside.

Does anyone know of a blind bolt or anchoring system that:
1. Will be strong enough
2. Can be made watertight
3. Will not corrode?

I know - big ask.... Failing this I need to find a very small boat ferret.

Graham
__________________
Graham and Janaki
Bristol 38.8
Leela
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 09-01-2013
deniseO30's Avatar
1934 Chickering
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bristol pa
Posts: 6,336
Thanks: 52
Thanked 100 Times in 90 Posts
Rep Power: 10
deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Watertight blind bolts?

there are SS toggle bolts
__________________
Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club. New Website!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 09-01-2013
GrahamO's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portsmouth NH
Posts: 180
Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 3
GrahamO is on a distinguished road
Re: Watertight blind bolts?

Thanks Denise,
I should have provided more info. This is a high shear load and toggle bolts can displace relatively easily in shear due to the oversized hole. I was wondering about putting a sleeve on the bolt to fill the void but I would prefer an engineered solution to my bodge....

Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
there are SS toggle bolts
__________________
Graham and Janaki
Bristol 38.8
Leela
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 09-03-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Norway
Posts: 728
Thanks: 6
Thanked 54 Times in 49 Posts
Rep Power: 9
knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: Watertight blind bolts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamO View Post
I need to mount a couple of plates on my transom for my davits. One of them is in a REALLY inaccessible location from the inside.

Does anyone know of a blind bolt or anchoring system that:
1. Will be strong enough
2. Can be made watertight
3. Will not corrode?

I know - big ask.... Failing this I need to find a very small boat ferret.

Graham
I have not seen that type of bolts, but I read about a neat trick somewhere.

The idea is to make a backing plate with integrated attachment's.
The author used a thin line attached to a threaded hole in the center of the plate and a extra hole in the boat to pull it into place.
When in place a countersunk screw where used to keep the backing plate in place during installation (and left there).

There are several ways you could do this, using the outside plate as template.

I have successfully glued large washers and nuts onto plywood with thickened epoxy, use bolts to keep the washer & nut in place and build up a large cone of epoxy around the nut/washer apply some grease to the bolt threads to avoid it getting stuck (or avoid putting epoxy over the threads .

You can also attache the bolts to the plate i a similar way.

If you prefer backing plate of metal you could weld the bolt / nut onto the plate or cut threads directly into the plate (you need some thickness in the plate to cut threads).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 09-03-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 682
Thanks: 8
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 6
LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Re: Watertight blind bolts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamO View Post
I need to mount a couple of plates on my transom for my davits. One of them is in a REALLY inaccessible location from the inside.

Does anyone know of a blind bolt or anchoring system that:
1. Will be strong enough
2. Can be made watertight
3. Will not corrode?

I know - big ask.... Failing this I need to find a very small boat ferret.

Graham
Add an access panel opposite the plate?
sailorboy15 likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 09-03-2013
GrahamO's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portsmouth NH
Posts: 180
Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 3
GrahamO is on a distinguished road
Re: Watertight blind bolts?

thanks K,
I actually have a metal backing plate and the idea of mounting the nuts to it is a really good one. I'm sure I can find a way of putting the plate on some kind of pole.

At the very least it will be much easier to find in the bilge when I drop it.......

Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuterikt View Post
I have not seen that type of bolts, but I read about a neat trick somewhere.

The idea is to make a backing plate with integrated attachment's.
The author used a thin line attached to a threaded hole in the center of the plate and a extra hole in the boat to pull it into place.
When in place a countersunk screw where used to keep the backing plate in place during installation (and left there).

There are several ways you could do this, using the outside plate as template.

I have successfully glued large washers and nuts onto plywood with thickened epoxy, use bolts to keep the washer & nut in place and build up a large cone of epoxy around the nut/washer apply some grease to the bolt threads to avoid it getting stuck (or avoid putting epoxy over the threads .

You can also attache the bolts to the plate i a similar way.

If you prefer backing plate of metal you could weld the bolt / nut onto the plate or cut threads directly into the plate (you need some thickness in the plate to cut threads).
__________________
Graham and Janaki
Bristol 38.8
Leela
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 09-03-2013
GrahamO's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portsmouth NH
Posts: 180
Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 3
GrahamO is on a distinguished road
Re: Watertight blind bolts?

I wish.....
It is in the upper stbd corner of the transom behind the propane locker so the only options for an access panel are the transom, the deck or the hull. I'm not keen on any of those.

There is actually a fairly large volume on my boat under the propane locker that is entirely inaccessible without taking out either the steering gear or the engine - not good.

Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinekinBayCD View Post
Add an access panel opposite the plate?
__________________
Graham and Janaki
Bristol 38.8
Leela
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 09-03-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Norway
Posts: 728
Thanks: 6
Thanked 54 Times in 49 Posts
Rep Power: 9
knuterikt is on a distinguished road
Re: Watertight blind bolts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamO View Post
thanks K,
I actually have a metal backing plate and the idea of mounting the nuts to it is a really good one. I'm sure I can find a way of putting the plate on some kind of pole.

At the very least it will be much easier to find in the bilge when I drop it.......

Graham
Instead of using a pole you could thread a thin line through one hole front to back, diagonally across the back side of the plate and back to front.

use an fish tape to pull both ends of the line through the holes in the boat, and pull the plate into place.

When you have inserted the two bolts in the free holes you can just pull the line out and insert the two remaining bolts.
GrahamO likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to knuterikt For This Useful Post:
GrahamO (09-03-2013)
  #9  
Old 09-03-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 9,444
Thanks: 10
Thanked 155 Times in 141 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Watertight blind bolts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamO View Post
I wish.....
It is in the upper stbd corner of the transom behind the propane locker so the only options for an access panel are the transom, the deck or the hull.....
I'm sure we're not picturing the situation, but this begs why you can't put an access panel in the back of the propane locker.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 09-03-2013
GrahamO's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portsmouth NH
Posts: 180
Thanks: 5
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 3
GrahamO is on a distinguished road
Re: Watertight blind bolts?

you are picturing it fine. Isn't it illegal to put an access panel in a propane locker????

Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I'm sure we're not picturing the situation, but this begs why you can't put an access panel in the back of the propane locker.
__________________
Graham and Janaki
Bristol 38.8
Leela
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Float Around Toronto: Watertight deals - National Post (blog) NewsReader News Feeds 0 08-06-2011 04:40 PM
Need a watertight wire splice oomfh Gear & Maintenance 6 04-29-2011 11:00 PM
Watertight Cockpit Lockers tager General Discussion (sailing related) 4 03-25-2010 09:30 PM
Watertight seal on thru-bolt deck hardware??? SiXeVeN Gear & Maintenance 12 09-14-2009 10:22 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:07 AM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.