Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SoOkay

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2013

rocdoc22 is on a distinguished road
jeanneau 44 ds air conditioning problem

So, brand new Jeanneau 44 DS, she has three separate air conditioning units and is rigged for 30 Amp service. At the new marina in CT , I cannot keep even one unit on, for more than 2 minutes before it shuts down and goes to fan only.
In a high humidity weekend it was not enjoyable. has anyone else dealt with this issue? Should we consider upgrading to 50 Amp service with new breakers , etc..? I talked to the Marina and they just kind of shrugged and didn't seem to care too much.

Slightly annoyed...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road
Re: jeanneau 44 ds air conditioning problem

So its not tripping the breaker then if the fan still runs, correct? My Mermaid will shut off the compressor if its not getting a flow of cooling water, leaving the fan running. Or is your air cond. breaker tripping?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sailnetters are the greatest people in the world!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Island Packet 31
Melbourne, FL
(formerly Rock Hall, MD)
Old 09-03-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocdoc22 View Post
So, brand new Jeanneau 44 DS, she has three separate air conditioning units and is rigged for 30 Amp service. At the new marina in CT , I cannot keep even one unit on, for more than 2 minutes before it shuts down and goes to fan only.
In a high humidity weekend it was not enjoyable. has anyone else dealt with this issue? Should we consider upgrading to 50 Amp service with new breakers , etc..? I talked to the Marina and they just kind of shrugged and didn't seem to care too much.

Slightly annoyed...
Surely, you're running TWO 30 amp shore cords, right? Are you sure the water circulating pump is operating, are you seeing an overboard discharge?

No way will a single 30 amp inlet support that sort of service for a 44-footer, not if you want to be running any other 110V service simultaneously...
Old 09-03-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

We run two 30 amp cords to power our 110v systems and also have three air conditioning units. If we're having trouble, its almost always the flow of cooling water, even if the sea water filters are clogging up. In some cases, the unit freezes and stop producing cooling air, if they run non-stop. I will turn the target temp up a bit, so they cycle on/off and give them a break.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-03-2013

SoOkay is on a distinguished road

It sounds like an HPF (high Pressure Failure) failure, not an electrical issue at all. I had the same problem a while back. Easy fix:

There's probably one large water intake leading to a pump and a strainer. This is the pump that feeds water to the AC units. What seems to have happened is that there is air trapped in the line and the pump is shutting down to protect itself. Thats why the fan keeps running but nothing cold is coming out. These pumps are not self priming, so if you open the strainer to clean it, for example, you'll have to reprime the line manually before it will work again.

Doing so is generally easy, All I do is crack the strainer open and let some seawater come out, that usually clears the air out. It's important to just crack the strainer open, don't take it off. With the seackock open you can imagine those results.

I think its this and not an electrical issue, becasue your fans are still running, if it were an overload situation it would trip the breaker and the whole thing would shut down, no fan, no control panel, nothing.

BTW, we sailed a 43DS in NJ for years, we now have a 50DS, where in NJ do you sail out of?
rocdoc22 likes this.

Last edited by SoOkay; 09-03-2013 at 01:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SoOkay For This Useful Post:
rocdoc22 (09-03-2013)
Old 09-03-2013

Right - sorry left out some details. She has two separate 30 Amp inputs, one of which is solely for AC. We are running dual 30 Amp cords. The fans work fine on the AC , and the compressor will start to run and cool and then kicks off. No breakers are popping, she will then recycyle a couple of minutes later and then repeat the cycle. My impression is she is not getting enough voltage. I could be wrong - since me and electricity don't get along too well....
Old 09-03-2013

SoOkay - thank you - I'll bet you are right!
Thanks and i will do that next weekend!

I do remember something about an AC bleed valve being an option to install and I did not do it. probably a 2 cent item and I should do it.
Old 09-03-2013

SoOkay - she is no longer in NJ - in Noank CT now at Spicers marina.
Old 09-03-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Also, when I have a cooling water failure (high pressure failure), my thermostat displays HPF. I suspect we have different units, or you would clearly have noticed.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-03-2013

Seaduction is on a distinguished road

You may not believe this but after much head scratching and even shipping my unit back to Mermaid Air once, I finally determined that the "swing" setting on the thermostat was not set wide enough. That is the number of degrees between the "kick on" temp. and the "kick off" temp. or vice versa. The wider swing setting allowed the compressor to bleed off some pressure so the re-start was easier for the compressor and thus did not trip off the breaker. Maybe check the swing settings on the thermostat.

PS: If its all "brand new" then isn't there some warranty service available?

Sailnetters are the greatest people in the world!

Island Packet 31
Melbourne, FL
(formerly Rock Hall, MD)

Last edited by Seaduction; 09-03-2013 at 04:51 PM. Reason: added thought