Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-03-2013
Rob

snow-dude is on a distinguished road
M-20 Scow - Help identify part

Please help me identify this part.

I've just rescued a 1981 Melges M-20 Scow. This part has me stumped. It's just forward of the mast step. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rob
Lake LBJ, TX
Attached Thumbnails
M-20 Scow - Help identify part-img_2975.jpg  
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: M-20 Scow - Help identify part

Where does the other end of that lever that's in the slot go?

My guess would be a way to shift the mast step fore or aft on the fly with some tackle attached to the loose end of that bar.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-04-2013

14432 is on a distinguished road

Looks like some sort of mast ram and it should have some hardware under-deck with a purchase or turnbuckle system to provide mast pre-bend. Never seen such on a MC before but not an MC expert

Edit - just noticed it's a M 20 not an MC - sorry
Old 09-04-2013

0verdrive is on a distinguished road

Wow - I thought I was the only M-20 owner out there!

I haven't gotten to rig or sail my M-20 in a couple years, due to having a baby that's taken all my time. But it's a ton of fun to sail, so I'd be happy to help you get it up and sailing - if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. I can always give answers from memory or if need be run out to take a look at how mine is rigged.

As you're finding out, the M-20 has a ton of rigging to tune just about any part of the sail. From memory, that piece (I don't know what it's called) connects to the mast, and has lines rigged underneath that are used to move the lower half of the mast foreward or abaft, basically influencing how the sail is shaped.
Old 09-04-2013
Rob

Thanks Faster, 14432 and Overdrive! We ran out of sunlight this evening, so stepping the mast will be delayed until tomorrow. Agreed that the bar attaches to a bracket on the mast...but I'm not seeing any lines to move the "mast ram" or whatever the part is called. I'll update the thread with photos once the mast is stepped.

Yes Overdrive. More rigging then I thought possible Spent 30 mins this evening tracing lines and I'm still dizzy.

Rob
Lake LBJ, TX
Old 09-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow-dude View Post
Thanks Faster, 14432 and Overdrive! We ran out of sunlight this evening, so stepping the mast will be delayed until tomorrow. Agreed that the bar attaches to a bracket on the mast...but I'm not seeing any lines to move the "mast ram" or whatever the part is called. I'll update the thread with photos once the mast is stepped.

Yes Overdrive. More rigging then I thought possible Spent 30 mins this evening tracing lines and I'm still dizzy.

Rob
Lake LBJ, TX
It's been 4-5 years since I rigged mine, and since I haven't sailed in a couple years, I'm a little fuzzy myself. I went out there tonight to take a look, and I don't see a real obvious place to connect the lines to the mast ram either. :S

(I'm still not sure that it's called a mast ram, but that seems about as good a name as any, so I'll use it. )

That said, I know I rigged it myself several years back, so it's definitely doable. And I know where the lines come out, and how you use them to control the mast ram. You should have two lines that connect from the bottom of the mast ram and run through the channel in the cockpit sole. The lines then come out on the foreward side of the bulkhead, where they're cleated. The way mine is rigged, tightening the port-side line moves the mast ram foreward, while tightening the starboard side moves the mast ram aft. (When adjusting the ram, you obviously first need to give it slack in the opposite direction, so if you intend to tighten the port-side, you need to loosen the starboard-side line)

As I mentioned earlier, I couldn't see where the lines connect underneath the mast ram, but as I recall, I had to lay down on the cockpit sole and crawl foreward until I was under the mast ram area. I believe there was a cutout in the channel on the port side where I could reach in to connect the lines. Like I said, that part is from memory, so your mileage may vary, but it will hopefully get you pointed in the right direction.

I took a quick picture to help illustrate where the lines come out into the cockpit. The picture is facing the stern, so you're looking at the forward side of the bulkhead. You can see where the green and white lines cleated to the bulkhead enter the channel in the cockpit sole and run foreward. The real trick is figuring out how they come out of that channel and connect to the underside of the mast ram, but hopefully this will get you started.

I hope that helps!

P.S: I'm not sure how much help it will be if the mast ram isn't held fast by the lines, but as I recall, when you're stepping the mast, once you have the mast in place, the mast ram was the first piece of equipment I fastened, even before attaching the stays. That's because the mast is tall enough and was likely to sway strongly enough that attaching the mast ram really helped to stabilize it a bit while working on the stays. If you're using a hoist of some sort for the mast, this won't be as big of an issue, but I frequently did it by hand with the help of a friend, so it was helpful to get that mast ram attached first.
Old 09-05-2013
Rob

Overdrive,

Great shot! Thanks! I was ready for bed when I read your post but couldn't wait to compare....so out to the boat in my pj's My photo is looking aft at the bulkhead. Unfortunately I have no lines exiting the center channel. The green lines you see go to the backstay. I do have an 8" round port on the port side of the "mast bulkhead"....it's about 12 inches forward the mast ram. I'll grab a flashlight and camera and crawl to the stern tomorrow. Pics to follow.

Rob
Lake LBJ, TX
Attached Thumbnails
M-20 Scow - Help identify part-img_2977.jpg  
Old 09-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow-dude View Post
Overdrive,

Great shot! Thanks! I was ready for bed when I read your post but couldn't wait to compare....so out to the boat in my pj's My photo is looking aft at the bulkhead. Unfortunately I have no lines exiting the center channel. The green lines you see go to the backstay. I do have an 8" round port on the port side of the "mast bulkhead"....it's about 12 inches forward the mast ram. I'll grab a flashlight and camera and crawl to the stern tomorrow. Pics to follow.

Rob
Lake LBJ, TX
Huh - it looks like our boats may be rigged slightly differently. I assume the lines that lead to your backstay are cleated on the seat? Mine is similarly rigged, but instead of coming through the bulkhead and cleating forward of the bulkhead, they come up the aft side of the bulkhead and cleat on the seat area. This allows for the mast ram lines to be cleated on the foreward side of the bulkhead. I'll try to get more pictures tonight to illustrate.

Since you don't have any lines that can come out of that center channel you might need to install two cleats under the mast somewhere that will hold your mast ram lines. On my M-20, I already have two lines that cleat in that general area, though, so it might be fairly tightly clustered if yours is rigged similarly. (I have a separate jib stay and forestay, both of which can be tensioned by lines that come out from under the starboard bow.

My boat is tarped right now, so my pictures have been limited. But it might help if I just take the tarp off and take several pictures of where all my lines go. It'll be a lot of pictures since the M-20 has a ton of rigging. But that would give you something to use as a reference when trying to figure out how everything is rigged. It looks like our boats will be rigged slightly differently anyway, but a reference may still help...

~Dean
Old 09-06-2013
Rob

Dean,
Tonight's update: with your help, we have identified all the parts of the “mast ram”. Instead of the lines routing through the sole of the boat, my lines go from port and starboard sides of the “mast bulkhead” to the cockpit. See coiled lines in Pic #1

Please notice in pic #1 how far forward the mast is in the “mast well”. The backstay and forestay are very taut. The backstay is released all the way to the blocks. Either my stays shrunk, or the boat grew …or perhaps I’ve rigged something wrong...likely.

pic #2 - bow chainplate. We used the jib’s internal stay to bend the mast forward so we could pin forestay to the forward hole in the chainplate. Is this where the forestay mounts? Where does the jib’s internal stay mount? (currently mounted in the aft chainplate hole). The Jib’s internal stay appears to be too long…..we cannot take up the slack of the jib’s internal stay in it’s current configuration.

Dean, Many thanks. We would not have gotten as far as we have without your help! Any future assistance will be greatly appreciated!

BTW – my M-20 is a 1981 model….#601.

Rob
Lake LBJ, TX
Attached Thumbnails
M-20 Scow - Help identify part-img_3006%5B1%5D.jpg   M-20 Scow - Help identify part-img_3013%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 09-08-2013
Rob

Success! The mast has been stepped and the jib hoisted….correctly I believe.

My problems started when I fixed the forestay to where the internal jib stay belonged. Pic #1….correct rigging from stern to aft – forestay, internal jib stay and then jib-luff-downhaul. My forestay and jib-luff-downhaul lines are routed to the starboard side of the “mast bulkhead”….with forestay cleated out-of-sight on the “mast bulkhead” and the jib-luff-downhaul cleated to the decking just aft the “mast well”.

With the correct rigging, I was able to play with the mast rake by adjusting the “mast ram”, forestay, internal jib stay and backstay.

Next issue is my main halyard. It appears the halyard was subjected to an emergency repair. Instead of running the halyard internal the mast, the halyard exits fore-mast through a nasty-ragged hole. Raising and lowing the main is sawing the mast….creating a “keyhole”. I’ll start a new thread titled “M-20 Scow – Main Halyard”.

Rob
1981 Melges M-20 Scow
Lake LBJ
Attached Thumbnails
M-20 Scow - Help identify part-img_3025%5B1%5D.jpg   M-20 Scow - Help identify part-img_3026.jpg   M-20 Scow - Help identify part-img_2976%5B1%5D.jpg