Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2013

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Re: Cheap boat parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailboatdude View Post
Where is the cheapest place to get lines and/or blocks for a sailboat? There is literally a chinese store for every other hobby, but I can't seem to find one for sailing. (example: hobbyking for Remotecontrol stuff) No need to lecture me on "I get what I pay for" just looking for a way to outfit my boat as cheap as possible. I have a small dinghy so if something fails it's not going to be a huge deal. Thank you for your time!

I have been "messing around boats", and lots of other mechanical things for almost 70 years and for much of that time I was "cheaper than cheap". Looking back on all of it, I made lots of mistakes being "cheap".

As others have mentioned, suggest you be careful with things that can hurt you.

Best of luck, Paul T
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Where are you located?
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-04-2013

Sailboatdude is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Where are you located?
Portland Oregon Sailing a Daysailer
Old 09-04-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
They are the heaviest, they are not the prettiest, and they are seldom made of space age polymers and carbon bucky ball stuff with goo. They work, they are inexpensive, and they have excellent customer service.

I get no thrill from champagne and no kickback from Garhauer.
Chuckles said it well, but additionally Garhauer provides great customer support. They actually answer emails, you can talk to them at the Annapolis show and they stand behind their products to an amazing degree. Excellent company.

And Chuckles "I get no thrill from champagne"????

You obviously haven't started your day with mimosas in the cockpit with the right woman

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 09-04-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

awing hardware. no promises, but it will work big box stores sell em. galvanized with cheap pressed in pins for the wheel

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-04-2013

baboon is on a distinguished road

A friend recomended this place, Marine Part Depot, no personal experience so shop with care.

I have been happy with Garhauer, the blocks and vang I have from them have been great.

For line there can be great deals at boat shows. One or 2 venders at the Seattle show often have a bin of very good quality line that was at the end of the spool or cut too short (too short can still be 50 plus feet). It is not well labeled so you need to know what you are looking for. Fisheries Supply also has deals on extra and end of stock rope, not worth a trip to Seattle on it's own, but if you are up here worth a look.

Second wind is a consignment store in the Freemont area of Seattle, lots of junk, but some good stuff is for sale if you are willing to look.
Old 09-04-2013

Griffinroydonald is on a distinguished road

I have found that when I buy Cheap parts I end up replacing them for a heavy duty part that will last for more than one season. Blocks and such is one area I don't cut corners . I buy some off E-Bay and have good results most of the time. I also watch adds on the sites where people are dumping gear. The storm Sandy has left lots of boats on the dry and owners are looking to make a little money back. You can tell if the parts are damaged or not. I will by used If the price is right and the condition good.
Old 09-04-2013
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Quality metallurgy is the thing the Chinese are worst at, and the thing that is most important for marine hardware.

The best DEAL for sailboat hardware has to be Garhauer, which is excellent quality and not made in China.
I agree with Garhauer.

As for the Chinese stuff, you get what you pay for. Unscrupulous AMERICAN importers pay Chinese factories willing to make junk at that price point. Hardware of the same quality as Garhauer could easily be produced in China but it would be more expensive and the cost of getting it here would make it hard to compete.

There are many Chinese companies that make quality products that are exported to Europe because your average Walmart/Target shopper won't pay for quality, regardless of were it is made.

*Sent from my made in China, very expensive, Iphone.
Old 09-04-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

I actually find Harken blocks to be less expensive than Garhauer, especially in the sizes that would be used on a small day sailor. Their blocks are extremely nice to use too, usually they are both lighter and smoother than Garhauer.

As an example a single Harken 29mm block (model #340) is $17.52 from my local store. A Garhauer 25-series (40mm) single block is $21.42 from the same source (they don't make anything smaller). A Harken 40mm block is $18.12 (no swivel) or $22.20 (swivel), but really all of these 40mm blocks are overkill on your average day sailor.

So I disagree that Garhauer is the budget option for this boat.

Nautos blocks on eBay seem to be the cheap overseas alternative ($17 for a single 39mm block). I've never read anything good about them though, and would rather spend slightly more on Harken.
Old 09-04-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Chuckles said it well, but additionally Garhauer provides great customer support. They actually answer emails, you can talk to them at the Annapolis show and they stand behind their products to an amazing degree. Excellent company.

And Chuckles "I get no thrill from champagne"????

You obviously haven't started your day with mimosas in the cockpit with the right woman

Or C. just watched "Blazing Saddles" again.

Fun place to browse, never know what they'll have:
Discounted New & Used Marine Gear
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,