Power Cord/Adapter Issues - Page 2 - SailNet Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 09-07-2013
Dirt Free
 
boatpoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,158
Thanks: 9
Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Power Cord/Adapter Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
My impression of "hard wired" must be slightly off. To me it means the conductors are connected via attachment with screws or wire nuts (in the case of home wiring) within a proper electrical box. How do you hard wire your boat to shore power?
Wire nuts are prohibted by ABYC.

Hard wiring to the boat means the boat end of the shore power cord - Appropriately sized ring terminals on each incoming conductor to a bus bar (covered) then from the bus bar to the panel, again with appropriately sized ring terminals.

Simple and effective You eliminate six connections (on a three wire conductor) and no longer have anything to come loose.

Dirt People Scare me
boatpoker is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 Old 09-07-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,420
Thanks: 13
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Power Cord/Adapter Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Wire nuts are prohibted by ABYC.

Hard wiring to the boat means the boat end of the shore power cord - Appropriately sized ring terminals on each incoming conductor to a bus bar (covered) then from the bus bar to the panel, again with appropriately sized ring terminals.

Simple and effective You eliminate six connections (on a three wire conductor) and no longer have anything to come loose.
Thanks, I knew about wire nuts on boats. Where have you placed the buss bar?
Seaduction is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #13 of 21 Old 09-07-2013
Dirt Free
 
boatpoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,158
Thanks: 9
Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Power Cord/Adapter Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
Thanks, I knew about wire nuts on boats. Where have you placed the buss bar?
The bus bar is inside a locker that opens from inside the cabin only and is within 12" of the clamshell which the cord passes through. From the bus bar to the panel is another 3'. All within ABYC standards.

Dirt People Scare me
boatpoker is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #14 of 21 Old 09-07-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,420
Thanks: 13
Thanked 24 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Power Cord/Adapter Issues

When you leave dock to cruise, you unplug from the dock side and coil the cord and hang it on the boat somewhere, right?
Seaduction is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #15 of 21 Old 09-07-2013
Dirt Free
 
boatpoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,158
Thanks: 9
Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Power Cord/Adapter Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaduction View Post
When you leave dock to cruise, you unplug from the dock side and coil the cord and hang it on the boat somewhere, right?
Correct.

Dirt People Scare me
boatpoker is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #16 of 21 Old 09-07-2013
Senior Member
 
ebs001's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,205
Thanks: 6
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 10
 
Re: Power Cord/Adapter Issues

There is an inherent design flaw in the 30 Amp female plug. The problem always occurs on the neutral side on the female end of the 30 amp cord set or the neutral side of the pedestal receptacle.

When plugging in the cord at the boat end the power should be off at the pedestal. The cord needs to be twisted clockwise and secured in position with the plastic threaded ring. The male end at the pedestal needs to be secured in a similar fashion. Then the power can be turned on. The overheating of these connections is caused by improper contact.

The receptacle blade connection really needs to be redesigned so that there is a positive click when twisted into place, however; I don't think that's ever going to happen. So in the mean time CD's suggestions are a very good solution.
ebs001 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #17 of 21 Old 09-07-2013
Dirt Free
 
boatpoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,158
Thanks: 9
Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Power Cord/Adapter Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs001 View Post
There is an inherent design flaw in the 30 Amp female plug. The problem always occurs on the neutral side on the female end of the 30 amp cord set or the neutral side of the pedestal receptacle.

When plugging in the cord at the boat end the power should be off at the pedestal. The cord needs to be twisted clockwise and secured in position with the plastic threaded ring. The male end at the pedestal needs to be secured in a similar fashion. Then the power can be turned on. The overheating of these connections is caused by improper contact.

The receptacle blade connection really needs to be redesigned so that there is a positive click when twisted into place, however; I don't think that's ever going to happen. So in the mean time CD's suggestions are a very good solution.
Glad you mentioned this. Few boaters turn off their AC mains or shore side breakers before connecting or disconnecting. This causes arcing as the plugs are jiggled back and forth and can send battery chargers and inverters into fits.

Dirt People Scare me
boatpoker is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #18 of 21 Old 09-07-2013
Junior Member
 
npettett's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Aurora, Kentucky
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
Pry the boot (takes a little time) on the plugs/cords that are getting hot and they will have loose screws on the connections on the back of the plug. With the hot and cold temperatures and general use the screws will loosen, resistance increases. Tighten the screws once a year, problem solved.
npettett is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #19 of 21 Old 09-07-2013
Dirt Free
 
boatpoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,158
Thanks: 9
Thanked 31 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 8
 
Re: Power Cord/Adapter Issues

The only marine "boots" I have seen are molded, one piece units that cannot be "pried " back. On the other hand I have seen any number of plugs from the local harware store attached to old power cords. This is a foolish thing to do.

Dirt People Scare me
boatpoker is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #20 of 21 Old 09-07-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lund British Columbia
Posts: 136
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Power Cord/Adapter Issues

After the second plug failure...I cut the burnt end off and pulled the cord into the boat right to the breaker panel and attached securely...cord not as long but a small price to pay for peace of mind...

Bob142
Desolation Sound
Maple Leaf 48

Any storm in a port...
Bob142 is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hooking 110 power cord to shore power? dvuyxx Electrical Systems 16 06-02-2012 09:35 AM
shore power cord jaybird2719 News Feeds 2 04-11-2011 01:17 PM
Cleaning Salt Water out of a Power Cord Boto Gear & Maintenance 4 04-19-2009 07:13 PM
Re: Shore power cord question NewsReader Mass Bay Sailors 0 01-30-2007 07:15 PM
Shore power cord question NewsReader Mass Bay Sailors 0 01-30-2007 07:15 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome