SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Raw water pump flow warning buzzer? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/103465-raw-water-pump-flow-warning-buzzer.html)

Dave_E 09-08-2013 01:12 PM

Raw water pump flow warning buzzer?

Hi All,

I was looking at the engine control panel today, everything on there except a warning for intake cooling water flow. It would only take an in-line flow switch, a buzzer and a protected voltage source. Has anyone installed something like this or ever seen it installed. Yes, we're talking about a caution system to help prevent equipment damage for those of us who may be or get forgetful in our twilight years. :o

Dave

Faster 09-08-2013 01:17 PM

Re: Raw water pump flow warning buzzer?

These are rare, certainly not a normal factory item either from the engine manufacturer or the boat builder..

As you say it would be simple enough, assuming an appropriately sized (line size and voltage) flow switch can be readily found. You should be able to tie it into the existing multi-point buzzer cct if you can puzzle that out and tie into it.

A pressure switch might be more easily found, more easily installed, and as effective.

EDIT.. belay that last.. it wouldn't detect a plugged passage, as pressure would still be there.. 'doh...

overbored 09-08-2013 01:59 PM

there are systems you can buy that do this. this is one of the companies AQUALARM :: OnLine Store :: Comersus.
don't really see the need as temperature is whats important and if that is not satisfied then you look for the problem

hopcar 09-08-2013 02:05 PM

The Aqualarm system works well and it can prevent damage to the impeller of your raw water pump if the intake gets blocked.
When the overheat alarm goes off your impeller is already in little pieces caught in the heat exchanger.

Faster 09-08-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hopcar (Post 1085901)
The Aqualarm system works well and it can prevent damage to the impeller of your raw water pump if the intake gets blocked.
When the overheat alarm goes off your impeller is already in little pieces caught in the heat exchanger.

One of our cruising flotilla boats this past summer could've used such a system.. somehow they lost their impeller, didn't notice until they melted their (plastic) waterlift.. They lost a week waiting for parts.

deniseO30 09-08-2013 02:39 PM

I'd look on things swimming pool heaters, on demand water heaters; to find flow switches.
They are pretty common items in plumbing supply. Most us a paddle and can be set/obtained to on or off with flow.

Dave_E 09-08-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overbored (Post 1085899)
there are systems you can buy that do this. this is one of the companies AQUALARM :: OnLine Store :: Comersus.
don't really see the need as temperature is whats important and if that is not satisfied then you look for the problem

That's what I'm talking about! Thank you for the reply! :) Dave

boatpoker 09-08-2013 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We installed an Aqualarm raw water flow detector about 15yrs. ago (photo below). It saved us the very next day when a hose let go. They are far superior to overheat alams as their response is instantaneous. I would not be without one.

Faster 09-08-2013 03:01 PM

Hmmm.. at about $150 or so incl panel, make one wonder why every boat doesn't have one...

boatpoker 09-08-2013 03:29 PM

I don't have a panel. I wired it directly to my ignition switch and bought an alarm buzzer from Radio Shack for $3. I think the flow detector cost $80.00 for the 1 1/2" intake on my engine and the one for my genny was $50.00 as it is only 1" intake.

Pretty sure I bought them on Amazon as they were cheaper than the prices on the Aqualarm website.