Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2013

Dauntless Brent is on a distinguished road
A little rigging advice please

A little confused about something, maybe you can help me? I have a '74 Ranger R29. Next month I will be having my mast stepped off to do some work. My standing rigging (that I assume are the same specs that the boat originally came with) is 1/4" wire. One of the other sailboat owners at my marina says that I should replace the 1/4" with 5/16". Is this a good/bad idea? Also, any advantages/disadvantages would be helpful. Thanks yall
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road
Re: A little rigging advice please

Good.
Using the same kind of wire, it will be stronger, giving you an extra safety margin.
Another plus, that I hope you never have to test, is that if you start to go overboard, the larger diameter is a bit easier on your hands when you clamp on with an adrenaline-fueled death grip.

P.S. Don't assume anything about the rigging length. Measure each piece. Twice.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by manatee; 09-09-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-09-2013

Thanks manatee! I really don't see how it could hurt. When I do it, I will be handing the rigger all of the wires. That way I don't have to measure them and have any mistakes on my end.
Old 09-09-2013

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road

Stay with the 1/4". The heavier wire might cause you issues with matching up your turnbuckles and headstay pin sizes. 1/4" is slightly oversized for that boat anyway. 7/32" is used on a lot of 29 footers. The heavier wire will also be more weight aloft which will make the boat heel slightly more.
Old 09-09-2013
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanduskysailor View Post
Stay with the 1/4". The heavier wire might cause you issues with matching up your turnbuckles and headstay pin sizes. 1/4" is slightly oversized for that boat anyway. 7/32" is used on a lot of 29 footers. The heavier wire will also be more weight aloft which will make the boat heel slightly more.
I agree. While it is true that the 5/16 wire will feel more sturdy in your hands and will be more stout, I doubt that you need the extra strength for this 1974 boat. You didn't mention whether the standing rigging was worn or wearing out. it not, I don't think you need to replace it just to upsize to a larger wire.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Old 09-09-2013

The current rigging is actually in good shape. I don't see any broken wire or rust. I'm stepping the mast to work on the teak spreaders, change my antenna cable, change the work light and check (replace sheaves) if needed.. Now I wonder if I should just go aloft and not even bother stepping the mast.
Old 09-09-2013

hriehl1 is on a distinguished road

Do you place more confidence in the engineer who designed your boat, or "the guys at the marina"?

As stated, upping wire size may require you use larger turnbuckles and clevis pins at the terminations. Then you'll be tempted to drill out clevis pin holes in tangs and chainplates instead of upsizing them too... NOW you could be stressing metal beyond its designed loads.

In short, keep with the wire sizes designed for the boat and intended for all the fittings.

That said... if you're planning use beyond the boat's designed intentions... say crossing oceans with lots of weather-related risk, then do up-size... everything, not just the wire.
Old 09-09-2013

mbetter is on a distinguished road

It's a bad idea.
Old 09-09-2013

I do have the utmost confidence in my Gary Mull designed boat. I plan to head south and then jump over to the Bahamas, followed by heading south and island hopping to Grenada. Since I am not a sail boat designer I was riding the fence as far as the change. This is something that is far beyond my knowledge. Safety is my number one concern and I know that bigger isn't always better.
Old 09-09-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Island hopping isn't the same as crossing oceans. If that's the limit of your plan, you may not need the upgrade in wire size.
Dauntless Brent likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne

Tags
rigging