SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Is this worrisome? (Fiberglass bulge)

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  puddinlegs 
#1 ·

Is a bulge like this a problem? It is where the support beam for the mast meets the hull.

See less See more
#2 ·
It would worry me... (Lots) A deck stepped mast with no partner below usually has the mast support beam shaped like an arch. Excesive downward force (Standing rig too tight) acts as below.

Take a good look at where the beam joins the hull (inside) for signs of deterioration or distortion. It would appear to be trying to force its way thru the hull.

#3 ·
Cap C,
That only makes sense if it's got a bump on both sides, seems something is going on - or one side has slipped it's support pad.
Jhiggy,
I'd say take a look for any fracturing or signs of de-lamination on the inside. Lots of thumping and testing.

On a boat the size of this it should not be a 'big' deal, easily fixed.

#4 ·
There is a more or less circular discoloration there. Looks like to me that in the past, someone struck something and what you see is a poor attempt to repair, resulting in both the discoloration and bump. Fiberglass boats are tough, and my guess is that it is not a problem other than cosmetically.

#5 ·
looks like it is at the bottom of the mast bulkhead. check the inside to make sure the bulkhead has not come loose. the bulkhead is a wood arch that is laminated over with fiberglass . if the laminates are good then it is just signs of an old boat. some of them had a piece of aluminum as a cross member glassed in and they corrode and swell up and push the hull apart. A lido 14 is a strong boat I doubt it is a problem. pics of the inside might help me see if there is a problem

#6 ·
I think you are all right. I forgot that they had puttied the inside bulkhead. So I bet at some point it slipped off or something was going on where they felt the need to put some of that crud on there. With all the putty they have on it, it's hard to see what is going on. But I don't see or feel any weak fiberglass. Also, it is bulging on both sides, sorry should've mentioned that. Here are some pics of the putty:

Right side:

Left side:

And the distance view:

#8 ·
I have fixed a few boats like that. you should remove the putty and cover the area with more layups of fiberglass. that area was never done correctly in the early boats. you could add the bow tank which will stiffen the bow section but is a real pain to do. since you already have the side bumps that almost all the early ones do, I would reinforce the joint and go sailing. maybe call Tom and see if it still under warranty, just kidding Tom
what number is your boat?

#9 ·
Now that I've seen the inside pic's I'd suggest what overbored said - grind out the putty and glass it up.
Lots of posts here and elsewhere on how to do that. You will gain experience you'll want later in life, won't run more than 30 bucks on this scale and it's a simple winter project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.