Not a Member? 

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road
Re: Fiberglass ..classic??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjle View Post
Are old Fiberglass boats worth refurbishing and preserving, even the best of them??

It's easy to understand preservation of classic timber yachts, an old Fife could theoretically live for hundreds of years, to increasing acclaim. What sort of claim can made for fiberglass? Even the best usually have indifferent craftsmanship under the covering boards and head liners. Will the hull/deck last for more than a few decades? In other words do the returns inevitably diminish to zero?

I would really appreciate a believable justification having recently spent a lot of time, effort, etc doing all of the above.
FWIW my brother's fiberglass boat will soon headed into it's 6th decade and I have no reason to believe there wouldn't be a 7th after that. It could easily outlast him assuming there will be somebody willing to take care of it.

As for the increasing acclaim part, well... unless a boat was something special to begin with, it probably won't be that special 20, 30, 40, 50 years down the road. From an investment standpoint the problem is that there are a lot of old boats out there that can be had dirt cheap. One reason for that is that fiberglass is easily repaired and can last quite a long time. The other reason is that they're expensive to maintain and keep. After awhile for some folks selling becomes more attractive than keeping.

Last edited by unimacs; 09-12-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2013

denverd0n is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
I think the takeaway here is next time ask that question before you start your next project.
A bit off topic, but I'm always amazed by the number of people who do this. They'll buy a boat and then AFTERWARDS come here to ask if it was a good choice for their intended purposes. Or put a new engine in their boat and then come here AFTERWARDS to ask if it's the right size, a good choice, whatever.

Once the deed is done, it is pretty pointless to start asking if doing it was a good decision. At that point the only useful questions revolve around how to live with the actions you've already taken, not whether or not they were good actions to take in the first place.
Old 09-12-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

my classic plastic boat is 50 years old this year. as hull number 110, it is the 20th SeaSprite 23 built (they skipped numbers 11 through 100) and in my eyes, prettier than any of the floating condos out there. It's small, cramped, and slow, but is extremely seaworthy and seakindly

And above all else, it's mine and I love it
jimgo likes this.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-12-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Fiberglass boats have been around for a while and some of the very early boats are still going strong. They fact that if they are cared for, they seem to be able to stick around forever should be good motivation to help preserve them. Maybe in the future some other materials will come about that make fiberglass seem as old as wood. Then our boats will really be classics.
zeehag likes this.
Old 09-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_machine View Post
my classic plastic boat is 50 years old this year. as hull number 110, it is the 20th SeaSprite 23 built (they skipped numbers 11 through 100) and in my eyes, prettier than any of the floating condos out there. It's small, cramped, and slow, but is extremely seaworthy and seakindly

And above all else, it's mine and I love it
My brother's boat (mentioned above) is an Ensign which from what I understand is quite similar to the Sea Sprite. It's a nice looking boat. He keeps it on a lake and doesn't have a proper trailer so putting it in the water and getting it out is always an adventure. Stepping the mast involves towing the boat (in the water) to a small bridge and having 2 or 3 people lower the mast from the bridge while 1 person on the boat guides the mast through the cabin roof onto the step mounted on the cabin floor.

Last edited by unimacs; 09-12-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-12-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimacs View Post
unless a boat was something special to begin with, it probably won't be that special 20, 30, 40, 50 years down the road. .

A lot of wooden boats fall into that same catagory. Once upon a time, 90% of all the boats were workboats. When they got old or damaged, the scrapped the good stuff off and burned the hull. A number of Chesapeake Skipjacks got burnt when the oyster beds died off. Boats today that would be worth a lot and be chereshed, were just old workboats that were nothing special and nobody thought twice about sending them to the boneyard to die

When I was growing up, there as a marina near my house. It's all condos now. On the "back lot" were a number of old wooden cabin cruisers. Some of them were beautiful, (one even looked like the ss minnow) and when the marina closed down and was sold to a developer, all those boats got bulldozed into the ground and hauled off

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-12-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

James,
It seems you own a Nautor (Swan) 42' which is quite a boat.
It is like the Rolls Royce of sailboats.
Be happy with your choices.
Or not.
zeehag likes this.

Everybody has one:

Last edited by CalebD; 09-13-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 09-12-2013
Have a go and DIY .....

macwester26 is on a distinguished road

The short answer is YES...
Here is mine near on finished now.
1964 to 1967

Blogg
Old 09-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjle View Post
Are old Fiberglass boats worth refurbishing and preserving, even the best of them??

It's easy to understand preservation of classic timber yachts, an old Fife could theoretically live for hundreds of years, to increasing acclaim. What sort of claim can made for fiberglass? Even the best usually have indifferent craftsmanship under the covering boards and head liners. Will the hull/deck last for more than a few decades? In other words do the returns inevitably diminish to zero?

I would really appreciate a believable justification having recently spent a lot of time, effort, etc doing all of the above.
Did you enjoy the process? Are you happy with the results? If you can answer "Yes" then that is all the justification you need (assuming the rest of your life didn't go down the toilet in the meantime).

Even if the answer is "No", if you at least learned something valuable that will help you down the road it still may turn out to be a worthwhile endeavor. Sometimes it's the mistakes that help us out most in the end.
Old 09-12-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

What sort of claim can made for fiberglass? T

Answer: They still sail as good as the day they were new. I can't think of a better claim for a sailboat.
abrahamx and zeehag like this.

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.