Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2013

Michael K is on a distinguished road
Re: Fiberglass ..classic??

James,

Without pictures of your rehabilitated boat, as far as we can tell you haven't done squat! That's right - without pictures it never happened. So you go right ahead, moan and groan all you want, but until we see pictures you are just another troll to us.

But if we can see something, maybe you will then get a couple of "oohs and ahhs" and know that it was really worth it after all. You could also actually use the boat a bit and realize for yourself a little pay off for all the hard work and expense.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael K For This Useful Post:
jamesjle (09-14-2013)
Old 09-12-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

When you look at the price of new boats, refurbing an old boat can even make economic sense, as long as you do most of the work yourself.

Check out the price of a new 30 footer - well into 6 figures and you'll still have to spend more to commission it properly.

You can pick up an old glass 30' for anywhere from free on up. $10K will get you a pretty decent, usable boat. You'd really have to work at it to spend anything remotely close to 6 figures to bring it back to essentially a new boat.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-12-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Well these guys think so. Plastic Classic Forum ? Index page
Old 09-13-2013

kunkwriter is on a distinguished road

Great forum responses. For my two cents, I'd have to say that the word that stands out to me is 'refurbish'. If you're gonna refurbish and old boat, the old plastic is pretty tough, and more often than not, responsive to a little love. I'm on my third one, and I've yet to recapture a fraction of my expenses for any of them. Still, I do enjoy bringing a faded and chalky old boat back to something people ask about and comment on.

jpeg is boat number 2. She was rough when I bought her for less than a song.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiberglass ..classic??-redemption.jpg  
Old 09-13-2013

jamesjle is on a distinguished road

Thankyou all for your replies. The why is interesting and perhaps important.

Right this moment I am moored in one of the great harbor's of the world, the sun has gone down, dinner perfect, NZ close to rolling Team USA and the boat restoration is finished to level one, level two starts on Monday.

The perfect moment, for us, two people, is perfect trim, best speed etc on a racing deck that has done several Fastnet's with a crew of 8. We all have our own peculiar wish list's. Today got close.

So a fiberglass restoration will not last, we know it will fail completely in due course. Thus is a glass boat lovingly nurtured a metaphor for life, you do your best then die. A Fife on the other hand is god like, immortal, as long as the funding is endless.

PS. This evenings wine is excellent
Old 09-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael K View Post
James,

Without pictures of your rehabilitated boat, as far as we can tell you haven't done squat! That's right - without pictures it never happened. So you go right ahead, moan and groan all you want, but until we see pictures you are just another troll to us.

But if we can see something, maybe you will then get a couple of "oohs and ahhs" and know that it was really worth it after all. You could also actually use the boat a bit and realize for yourself a little pay off for all the hard work and expense.
Michael, trolling, that's a bit social media downside, plus a lot of assumptions.
I think someone unreasonable talked to Arlo Guthrie once about " rehabilitating himself". I' ll just go and pick up the garbage
ericb760 likes this.
Old 09-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
You're asking for justification for time and money already spent? And "believable" justification at that?

I think the takeaway here is next time ask that question before you start your next project.

Seriously, it seems like you may be regretting the project and now you're trying to find a silver lining?
Never ask first, it might mean you don't proceed. Later justification is always more intersting.
Old 09-13-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

The Magazine "Classic Boat" just asked several professionals about what makes a boat a Classic. The responses were so varied and numerous, they had to expand it to two seperate months.

Some were very open minded. Like Mr. Ed Burnett:

Quote:
I tend not to use the word myself, but for me a classic boat is one that has proven herself to be a good example of her type (rather than any particular type) and I would normally expect this to take some time, although age alone is not a qualifying characteristic. There are quite a few old dogs out there...
While another, Mrs Elizabeth Meyer are very closed minded about what makes a boat a classic. She would snub 90% of the classics out there with her mindset:

Quote:
A classic yacht is a vessel that was designed for pleasure not for commerce. She may be a powerboat, rowboat, or paddleboat. She must have been designed, and should have been built before World War II. She may be built of wood, steel, bronze, iron, nickle, Monel, Duralumin or some combination of those materials, as long as they are the original specified materials.

However a classic may not be build of glassfibre, carbon, or epoxy sandwich, and it must have been properly maintaned since launch and/or correctly restored, which means she may not be a replica or a poor 'restoration'. So, to qualify, a yacht must not have been dismantaled into seperated componente parts. The boat herself must all be there, all the way through the restoration, she may not be cut in half even in order to be moved. Much, or even all, of her hull material may be repaired or replaced, but this be using original specifications and materials.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-13-2013

I would probably go for Ed Burnett sitting here.....today. However if I had had
the opportunity and the drive to do what Elizabeth Meyer has done I might think
180 degrees the other way. Most of us can be corrupted. Velsheda might do it for me.
Old 09-13-2013

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I get payoff when a fellow boater going by my anchorage, or my dock, goes out of his way to swing by and tell me I have a pretty boat.
Note, I do not consider my Irwin 38 Center Cockpit beautiful, but it's got lines I like.

I get kayakers paddling up all the time when I'm working on the boat. That's payoff.

As to wooden boats, judge for yourself: