Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2013

steve77 is on a distinguished road
Re: Fiberglass ..classic??

For an idea of what can be done to restore an old plastic classic, check out Tim Lackey's restoration of Glissando, an old Pearson Triton that was barely afloat when he got it:

Glissando, Pearson Triton # 381, Before and After Project Photos
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2013

asdf38 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
When you look at the price of new boats, refurbing an old boat can even make economic sense, as long as you do most of the work yourself.

Check out the price of a new 30 footer - well into 6 figures and you'll still have to spend more to commission it properly.

You can pick up an old glass 30' for anywhere from free on up. $10K will get you a pretty decent, usable boat. You'd really have to work at it to spend anything remotely close to 6 figures to bring it back to essentially a new boat.
I mostly agree. Though speaking of Tim Lackey, this is 1) An amazing restore but 2) Obviously well over 6 figures at 2031.5 hours.

At $75 bucks thats $152,325 in labor alone. So you can definitely hit 6 figs if you want to (and if you chose a boat with massive deck/hull core issues at the start...)

Northern Yacht Restoration |

Last edited by asdf38; 09-13-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-13-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
When you look at the price of new boats, refurbing an old boat can even make economic sense, as long as you do most of the work yourself.

Check out the price of a new 30 footer - well into 6 figures and you'll still have to spend more to commission it properly.

You can pick up an old glass 30' for anywhere from free on up. $10K will get you a pretty decent, usable boat. You'd really have to work at it to spend anything remotely close to 6 figures to bring it back to essentially a new boat.
That's very true and one of the nice things about old boats, as long as you don't expect to get back what you put into it if you ever decide to sell.
Old 09-13-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjle View Post
So a fiberglass restoration will not last, we know it will fail completely in due course. Thus is a glass boat lovingly nurtured a metaphor for life, you do your best then die. A Fife on the other hand is god like, immortal, as long as the funding is endless.
Well, I'm not so sure all of us "know" that, by any means... A fundamental distinction between wood and plastic appears to be lost on you...

Dump a glass boat and a woodie side by side in a landfill, which do you suppose might still be recognizeable as a boat a century later? My money would be on the former...

No reason a Hinckley Bermuda 40 couldn't enjoy just as long a life as your Fife, and likely remain better suited to sailing beyond protected waters in her advanced age...

As long as "the funding is endless", of course... :-)
zeehag likes this.
Old 09-13-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

From a financial POV putting money into any boat is a non starter. Whether you buy an old boat for a few thousand dollars and spend 50k fixing it up or buy brand new and take a 50k hit when you sell it, that 50k is gone all the same. The economics of boating are enjoy the money spent because you are putting a match to the money once it's out of your wallet. This neatly explains the depressed condition of the boat markets over the past five years. In good times people can afford to burn some discretionary income. In bad times there is no discretionary income to burn.

That said, there is good reason to find and fix an old plastic boat. For the love of the machine. While it doesn't make economic sense to fix up an old boat, no boating makes economic sense. You buy an old boat to fix up for the same reason someone buys a new boat. To enjoy it.
olson34, steve77 and overbored like this.

Last edited by TJC45; 09-13-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-13-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
From a financial POV putting money into any boat is a non starter. Whether you buy an old boat for a few thousand dollars and spend 50k fixing it up or buy brand new and take a 50k hit when you sell it, that 50k is gone all the same. The economics of boating are enjoy the money spent because you are putting a match to the money once it's out of your wallet. This neatly explains the depressed condition of the boat markets today. In good times people can afford to burn some decresionary income. In bad times there is no discretioanry income to burn.

That said, there is good reason to find and fix an old plastic boat. For the love of the machine. While it doesn't make economic sense to fix up an old boat, no boating makes economic sense. You buy an old boat to fix up for the same reason someone buys a new boat. To enjoy it.
There's a few other reasons to fix up an old boat, - for the fun of it. That's assuming of course that you like doing that sort of stuff and have the time to do it.

Another is that you get to choose how it's fitted out. Finally when you're done you're going to know that boat like the back of your hand. If something breaks down, you'll likely know how to deal with it.

The downside to fixing up an old boat is the potential for it turning into a bigger time and and money sink than you imagined. And maybe what starts out as an indulgence in a hobby turns into drudgery. What if money/time runs out and now you've got a half finished boat taking up space?

All things to think about.

Personally, my only experience fixing old boats has been helping my brothers out here and there. One of them seems to spend far more time fixing than sailing. He didn't even get it in the water this year. Earlier this summer a friend of mine asked if I was interested in buying a boat A good friend of his was selling one. I said no. A real boat at this point in my life is probably not in the cards, - for now. I'm in a sailing club and have an inflatable and that will have to do.

Anyway, I figured it would have been a much easier boat to manage for my brother than his current one and it was dirt cheap. I mentioned it to him but he wouldn't hear of it. As big a PIA as his boat has been, he loves that thing.
TJC45 likes this.

Last edited by unimacs; 09-13-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

Jon.. where did you take/find that pic? Looks like our neck of the woods.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-13-2013

tommays will become famous soon enough

I bought my first NEW 18' sailboat back in 1981 and the second one New a J24 in 1982 and did well enough on both in resale

Could I afford a newer or even NEW boat YES

Do I want to afford a NEW boat NO it is not really important to me at this point in my life

We find the Cal very capable of doing what we require and I had the ability to do the refit and more important the ability to sequence the job and focus on the things that had to be done

I find the failed projects burned out on stuff that was not required and a LOT OF PEOPLE start out on projects and don't really know enough about which sailboat will meet there needs as they have not invested enough time sailing yet
aeventyr60 and TJC45 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by tommays; 09-13-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-13-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

When Tommays speaks, you should LISTEN!
CAL 29 Sea Fever
Old 09-13-2013
sv Cordelia

Nicklaus is on a distinguished road

I didn’t buy my boat as an investment – and I wouldn’t trust anyone who did to invest my money – but at the end of the day pretty boat is a pretty boat, regardless of what it is made of. Sure wooden boats might be more “nostalgic” or require more craftsmanship to build, but they also require more upkeep.

A lot of people would probably say preserving a thing of beauty – artwork, a car, a boat, an old house – is worth it.
TJC45 likes this.