Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2013

jamesjle is on a distinguished road
Re: Fiberglass ..classic??

You have a point, I'm sure you enjoy having a minority position. Perhaps we will just have to wait 50 or 60 years to get to the truth of the matter. Sadly I will not be here to crow if right.

By the way, and far be it for an Australian to query, was'nt the original axe in the head and handle parable the property of George Washington.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

"Would you expect to get back what you spent on a new boat? You lose about 20% the minute you leave the dock for the first time."

you guys do not see the boat as anything but a toy. of course a new boat is bettter than an old one---TO A COLLECTOR OF TOYS, that is the case.

if you see a shape of boat nowadays you like that isnt a brand new ugly plastic thing with no character, yes, you will agree that there is no value in an old fg boat....

HOWEVER, if you dislike the current trend in boat design, there are many designs that are classic and no longer built.

designed to sail tradewinds and still able to so do after all these years--

i am finding that repairs are not all that pricey , and every penny spent in refurbishing my HOME is well spent.

i have found the only souls worried about the durability of fg are those who sit at a desk and chop on typos....... if you were out here sailing a nice old plastic classic, you would have much more intelligent things to say about them.
i love the solid aspect of my boat---hull is solid and sound after ..ok do the math0---shje was born in 1976 and only laid down on a breakwall in santa barbara by a drunken idjit one time. he no longer owns this boat --lol---but i KNOW mine can withstand some abuse without holing.
i know i can anchor over a rock, accidentally, and still have a hull intact. btdt.
i think i cannot say the same about many of the brand now models. they surely dont have the character oldies have.
besides, they are affordable...rodlmao...even for those of us living on limited incomes. ES[PECIALLY if the owner of the old plastic boat finds a dcent derelict repair guy in strange pair a dice-ical places..
.lol
i win. 10k to buy and less than 5k so far to refit completely--yes i still have work to do , but i am not stoopit by dong this work in highpricedville,usa.
i also know about boat construction, so that is a large consideration.

i LOVE my old plastic pos with all teakwood interior, and wood with fg overlaid coach house---btw--you all know that green teak is no longer available, dont you>? may have to change wood types used fro your reconstructions if you dont try to preserve your teak now. green teak is what they made boats with...now it is all kiln dried.
fred1diver likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-17-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
There are lots of boats out there that have had the majority of their cored decks replaced - much the same as a wood boat that has had all new deck planks and many new deck beams.

A glass boat that has a failed hull is scrapped in most if not all cases - my point was "theoretical" to point out the absurdity of calling those old wood boats "renewed" or "continuous". The fact that no-one bothers to do it with glass does not make the attitude towards wood any more legitimate - they are new boats, just like Abe's axe with it's new heads & new handles was not the same axe. I wonder what percentage of original wood there is in one of those "restored" Fife's in the Nioulargue? Or in Dorade for that matter.

It's just a bee in my personal bonnet.
My guess is that if an old fiberglass boat were famous enough or one of the few remaining examples built by a famous designer then it wouldn't be scrapped. However at that point it would likely become a museum piece and only sailed on special occasions. Personally I'm not interested in a boat like that (which is just as well since I'd never be able to afford it).

I like old things that still get regular use. They still race 50 year old Ensigns.
Old 09-17-2013

doesnt have to be famous to be saved--if someone likes it , there is a market and therefore why scrap a perfectly strong hull just because it is slower than those new things that havent much character. they all look same.
some folks like deep slow and steady solid bricks of boats. some love the sleek new look and style that is easier care there are boats for everyone.
and some really decent boats do not even have large price tags--
the price doesnt reflect the true value--which is a subjective thing and not measurable.

if you wish to gain return on an investment---buy a nice edsel or a beautiful enzo designed now classic ferrari.

or a newly discovered picasso

Last edited by zeehag; 09-17-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Old 09-17-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
doesnt have to be famous to be saved--if someone likes it , there is a market and therefore why scrap a perfectly strong hull just because it is slower than those new things that havent much character. they all look same.
some folks like deep slow and steady solid bricks of boats. some love the sleek new look and style that is easier care there are boats for everyone.
and some really decent boats do not even have large price tags--
the price doesnt reflect the true value--which is a subjective thing and not measurable.
I agree. I was only talking about the instance where the hull is basically shot. When a boat has reached a certain level of damage or decay it becomes cheaper, more practical to get something else.

Only if the boat is particularly special for some reason could it make sense to save it at that point. Personally I don't like things getting destroyed if they can be saved but there are always economic realities to contend with.
Old 09-17-2013

when hull is shot--if fg--there are others--find a good one.

Old 09-17-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesjle View Post
You have a point, I'm sure you enjoy having a minority position. Perhaps we will just have to wait 50 or 60 years to get to the truth of the matter. Sadly I will not be here to crow if right.

By the way, and far be it for an Australian to query, was'nt the original axe in the head and handle parable the property of George Washington.
We've already passed the 50 year mark for production glass boats (Aeromarine Bounty) and they are floating just fine - without ANY new planks or sistered ribs or new deck beams or deadwood.

As to the axe - probably but I've heard it attributed to many historical figures, farmers, carpenters etc. It's a nice apocrypha (is that a word?).

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-17-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ES[PECIALLY if the owner of the old plastic boat finds a dcent derelict repair guy in strange pair a dice-ical places..
Do you get satisfactory work out of those derelict repair guys? I've always found them to be unreliable due to intoxication.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-18-2013

jamesjle is on a distinguished road

Repair guys skill can fairly accurately be measured by the condition of their work boat. Often the more derelict the boat the better the craftsman.
zeehag likes this.
Old 09-18-2013

my borracho derelict repair guy has to live also---i knew of his work from 1998 to present and i met him in a strange place 4000miles from his home of origin -- he sails a derelict and works well on mine--now his is less derelict and mine is also.

i would encourage others not to tell a book by its cover. the cobblers kids are barefoot, remember????

the mds kids are sick with flu,

and the boat repair guy has a scruffty boat--clean and tidy but derelict looking.

judge not lest you be judged and you dont know what you find in the bush until you find it an d resuscitate it.

in sd---there are no workers i trust except my former neighbor. lol also a broke ass former housing framer. lol... has carpal tunnel so he can no longer work and as his work was under table many years,jhas no ability to gain income from ssdi fro his loss of working ability.

you gonna go to a rich ******* with high prices for the union or are you going to help some of those who actually need it and who have skills to do the work.

unfortunately, i have experienced the reaction of knowing those rich souls havent the skills --they supply an alleged service to souls needy of repairs and many dont have the ability to effect same. yeah yeah yeah warrantee----rodlmao--

-one only NEEDS a warrantee if the work is foul to start with.

like you are going to go 3000 miles just to effect a warranted service??? get real folks--is marine work. YOU WONT BE THERE--so why do they have to do decent work????

at least my derelict worker doesnt drink on work days. he sails with me until engine and fuel delivery are in decent shape and safe so the work is good to begin with ...he has own boat which is now better in appearance-- even tho appearance means nothing. havent you figgered that out yet????

break down in this area and i will watch as you seek the well known only diesel repair guy available and known in area--yes he is pricey!!!----rodlmao--you will be here forever as that guy sukks. his work is reputed to sukk , and that sukks. good trap.

i am not on a schedule, nor is he---my schedule of sorts is made by my repair guy whose value is beyond gold. when he wants day off--he gets a month if need be--attitude is everything. he has effected reasonable repairs for awesomely reasonable fees and i can pay as i am paid. we neither one has a schedule to keep nor appointments to attend...lol...he knows not to die before finishing my boat--and we have a lot of work yet to do --and as long as is mutually beneficial he will do my work as we can both live comfortably down here as long as work is done well and boat is safe.

.this is cruising, not sitting as a dock queen waiting on alleged friends for cocktails on the fan deck.

Last edited by zeehag; 09-18-2013 at 10:22 AM.