Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2013

nolesailor is on a distinguished road
Re: anchor type question

How heavy depends alot on the anchor type. The recommended fortress size will not weigh much at all for your 8500 lb boat, while other anchors (i.e. plow) will certainly weigh more. Before asking a generic question to apply to all anchor types, it would be helpful to know what type of anchor you are considering. All anchor types have recommended sizes for length/displacement of the boat. From previous comments many think the recommended sizes are too light. I believe Rocna (and other new gen anchors??) recommend sizes based on higher wind speeds - but may need to verify.

As for chain length...I would say the general rule of thumb I've heard is a boat length...you can certainly get away with less. I have basically a boat-length, but had less before. A lot would depend on the type of bottoms, rocks, etc, that may cut through nylon rode.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

sizing guide for Danforth anchor: Danforth Standard Marine Anchor

Looks like with a 31 ft boat, they recommend a 14lb, I might go with the 16 lb (which is recommended for a 36 ft boat) just for extra security.
Old 09-12-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

damn, I can get away with a 7lb fortress anchor! Much better than a 33lb plow types being suggested to me earlier.
Old 09-12-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamx View Post
HOW HEAVY should one be for a tartan 30 that weighs 8500lbs? as stated, sand mud bottom. Whats the shortest length of chain I can safely get away with?
Sorry, but you're demanding answers to questions that are impossible to answer... How do any of us here know precisely what anchoring situation you might face some afternoon 3 summers from now, when a thunderstorm packing 70 mph winds might roll across Lake St Clair?

The RECOMMENDED length of chain is generally 1 foot per every foot of boat length... If you want to try to "get away with less", then go for it...

I'm with Bubblehead, I think for your situation, a Danforth style will give you the most holding power/weight for your intended usage... Weight will depend on whether you want to go with a lightweight Fortress, or a galvanized HT Danforth or something like a West Marine Performance... Recommended sizes can be found in the WM or Defender or virtually any other vendor's catalog, Fortress' site, and dozens of other sources...
Old 09-12-2013
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
This is a great starting point!

However, I disagree with at least one recommendation. According to the chart, my 35 footer, could get by with a 20lb Plow. The boat came with a 25lb Delta (plow) which was virtually useless in Narragansett Bay, and the islands south of Cape Cod. The PO of my boat noted in his log that he would drag, and I had the same experience.

The rule of thumb that I have used for plow/bruce anchors is 1 pound per foot of boat length. I have a use a 33 pound Rocna (#15) as my primary anchor, and use a 35lb Spartan (CQR knockoff) as a backup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Getting back onto the water after undergoing knee surgery.
Old 09-12-2013

I'm open to type suggestions which is why I asked and did not state a specific type. As posted twice I am in a mostly mud bottom. Lake st. Clair. No heavy weather anchoring, no rocks, rarely will even anchor. Just want to make an informed decision but add the least amount of weight. I'm leaning toward a 7 lb fortress with about 10' of chain, but am curious as to what others are using for day sailing on the great lakes specifically lake st clair. usually 5-10 knots and less than 2 feet of waves. I would like to have the option to sleep out at anchor some time but usually will just go out for a few hrs and rarely even anchor. ps. Not demanding answers, just looking for suggestions, and what others are getting using. When I say get away with I just mean I dont want to buy a 33lb plow type if I can use a 7 lb fortress or a 16lb danforth(which I dont get cuz arent they pretty much the same)Plus they go with half the weight if its high tensile. what should that matter? The 50mph thunderstorm needs to be included as its part of sailing. I want to be thoroughly covered but add the least weight as I have to. Maybe "get away with" was not the best choice of words. I just want an adequate anchor without adding weight that I dont need

Last edited by abrahamx; 09-12-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-12-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

If I was in your shoes I would put a 16lb danforth on 1/2 inch three strand and 30' of chain.

If you want to splurge, get a Fortress FX-16 instead. Much nicer anchor, but also much more $$.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

The Following User Says Thank You to RainDog For This Useful Post:
abrahamx (09-12-2013)
Old 09-12-2013

Just the type answer I was looking for. I think I will do just that. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2013

I think I will splurge. Same weight as the danforth (16lbs?)
Old 09-12-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road

One more thing to note about the fortress is you can set the fluke angle specifically for mud. They hold ok in soft mud, which most anchors have problems with. That might make it worth the extra $$ in your case.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas