Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2013
Not Finished Yet

RainDog is on a distinguished road
Re: anchor type question

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahamx View Post
I think I will splurge. Same weight as the danforth (16lbs?)
I would buy the 10lb FX-16.
Pacific Seacraft 34 #142
Port Aransas, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road

riiiiiiiiiight. Found that out after the question fx16 IS 10lbs.
Old 09-12-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I believe the Fortress is aluminum. I had one, they are nice anchors.

Basically, you're talking about putting together a "lunch hook" package. Safe for anchoring for lunch or an afternoon swim. Also good as a light package for complying with racing rules requiring you to carry an anchor, without packing on the weight.

This is fine, but be conservative when considering when to anchor, and what the wind and current conditions are. If you find yourself looking to anchor overnight, anchoring often, or anchoring in blustery conditions, don't delay in upgrading your ground tackle.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 09-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
I believe the Fortress is aluminum. I had one, they are nice anchors.

Basically, you're talking about putting together a "lunch hook" package. Safe for anchoring for lunch or an afternoon swim. Also good as a light package for complying with racing rules requiring you to carry an anchor, without packing on the weight.

This is fine, but be conservative when considering when to anchor, and what the wind and current conditions are. If you find yourself looking to anchor overnight, anchoring often, or anchoring in blustery conditions, don't delay in upgrading your ground tackle.
Pretty much exactly right. Only thing is I WOULD like to spend the occasional night at anchor. Will the fx16 with 30 feet of chain suffice?
Old 09-12-2013

nolesailor is on a distinguished road

That would depend on the conditions in which you find yourself anchoring. The term "Lunch Hook" generally refers to 15 knots of wind or less (or thereabouts). Upsizing is helpful, which is what the FX-16 appears to be doing. For where we routinely sail, if conditions are forecast to be above 20 knots we will head to our marina instead of anchoring out. We are always close enough to make the decision, even is severe storms are forecast to roll through. However, if you are planning on sailing farther where that is not an option for you, larger ground tackle will help you sleep better at night should the wind pick/storm pass by...

Going at least one size up from the recommended anchor is always helpful should you have doubts..
Old 09-12-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

abrahmx,

I think you are looking for someone to tell you definitively: "Go buy THIS type of anchor and THIS MUCH chain." Correct?

Personally, I wouldn't want that responsibility. What you're getting is what other people would do but that may not be right for your boat. I think you should do your research and decide what works best for your boat, where you sail and with your level of comfort.

I do agree with Bubblehead that you should buy with an eye towards the heaviest weather conditions so that you'll be prepared.
jimgo likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-12-2013

nolesailor is on a distinguished road

We just replaced our ground tackle set-up earlier this year and went through this same process...we have a Cat 28 MKII with an 8600 lb displacement. We went with a 25 lb Manson Supreme (new gen) with 30' of 5/16" chain...nylon rode was 9/16" only because they had it on hand, otherwise would have went with 1/2".

We use the 7 lb fortress as a second anchor, although we haven't needed to use it yet. I know you're not looking for specific anchor recommendations, but the Manson Supreme so far has held great, even at shorter scopes. Previously we had a Bruce knock-off and you can definately tell the difference.
Old 09-12-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
HOW HEAVY should one be for a tartan 30 that weighs 8500lbs? as stated, sand mud bottom. Whats the shortest length of chain I can safely get away with?
If I was buying an anchor for your boat then with a Mantus, Manson Supreme or Rocna a 25 pounder would be my choice.. If going Bruce (claw style) then I would choose a 33 pounder. If going Delta I would choose a 35 pounder. If going Spade I would suggest an S80 (35 pounder). If going with a Danforth I would choose a 20H. If going Fortress I would choose an FX-16..

Anchor manufacturers do not rate their anchors to any standard. Danforth for example rates their sizing to 20 knots while companies like Rocna or Manson rate to 50 knots and associated surge and chop. The original Bruce anchors are a great setter and re-setter but generally need to be up-sized one or two whole sizes vs. some others...

With some anchors you could get away with no chain but generally a boat leangth to boat length and a half is a standard recommendation.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 09-12-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-12-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Pretty much exactly right. Only thing is I WOULD like to spend the occasional night at anchor. Will the fx16 with 30 feet of chain suffice?
Yes. Just be sure to re-set your anchor on a wind or tide shift. The don't tend to re-set as well as some other designs but do have tremendous straight line holding power..

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 09-12-2013

33lb rocna vs 10lb fx16. I think I'll save the 20lbs. Going into this I did not realize how type and weight varied. I just thought it was as simple as how much weight. I mean 16 33lbs sounds better than 10 but if they both hold as well I think I'll take the less weight. I think I'm going to go fx16 with 30' of chain as long as thats not a big red flag in anyones book.