Old 09-14-2013

sully75 is on a distinguished road
Re: anchor weight question

Exactly!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2013

baboon is on a distinguished road
Re: anchor type question

I am late to this thead, but since I have the same boat as the original poster I thought I would add some thoughts.

I have use a proper sized bruce for a few years and had good luck with it. It's reputation for easy setting and quick re-sets has held true for me. As such I think it is a good choice for a less experienced sailor. Since it is a one piece older generation anchor it is reasonable choice for a used purchase and might save some $. Although heavy compared to a danforth style, it is easier to store, I keep mine on a bow roller with 30 ft of chain and have not felt that the added weight was an issue compared to my older danforth which I have kept as a second anchor.

Keep in mind there are a lot of arguments in favor of chain. The added weight will help set and re-set any anchor, the added strenght and abrasion resistance is another plus. I think most experienced sailors use more chain rather than less. Finally keep in mind a good anchoring set up is not just a convience for eating lunch, it is a piece of saftey equipment. Whaterver the cost, if you need it just once to keep of a lee shore in a storm it will be a bargain.
Old 09-14-2013

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Just sent you some pics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 09-14-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

If the OP is still looking at this thread, Fortress will recommend a min of 3' of chain, and they really only recommend that amount! There was/is a rep that sometimes posts on here, and I went back and forth with him trying to get a general feel for a race anchor, many might call a lunch hook to keep the wt to a minimum, so off the bow etc when racing. He recommended no more than 3' of chain, the rest rope!

If you go with a fortress, or probably ANY style of anchor, for how you use it, 3-5' may very well work! I've also seen articles that show less chain and more rope is better than all chain. Then again, I have seen all chain being better, depending upon different situations etc.

7/16 or 1/2" 3 str would probably work from a rode part, 9/16 if you want a bit more strength. An FX12 is what I recall being recommended for my boat with 3-5' of appropriate chain size. I would go with a 5/16" HT personally, altho 3/8" bbb like I uses has the strength too. A skoosh more wt.

Marty
Old 09-14-2013

fallard is on a distinguished road

I've used a Fortress FX-11 for 22 years as the primary anchor for a 4000# power boat with excellent results in mud/sand. I've had an FX-16 as a tertiary/stern anchor for my 35', 12,500# sailboat; my primary anchor being a 35# CQR. I've anchored overnight extensively over the past 30 years, with the first 15 years involving mostly danforth high tensile anchors.

My take on the OP's situation: the FX-16 with maybe 8' of chain (per Fortress' recommendation) should be fine in mud/sand. Maine's Fortress experience with his tidal range and associated currents is not surprising. The Fortress will "sail" in strong currents (or if you are moving) and may be difficult to set in this case. The Danforth shape and light weight means they are lousy in weeds. I've used the Fortress mud palms on rare occasion in really soft mud, and wasn't very confident with this type of bottom. If you get a Fortress, you need to heed the manufacturer's advice on how to set--especially in soft mud. All that said, the Fortress is really impressive in a sandy mud bottom if it is set properly.
Old 09-15-2013

BrianFortress is on a distinguished road

Gents:

We recommend using 6 ft of chain for every 25 feet of water depth, and since most coastal anchoring is done in under 50 feet of water, our customers commonly use somewhere between 10-15 feet of chain (maybe as much as 20 feet) with great success.

The Mud Palms are a set of two metal plates which bolt on the the crown of the anchor, and we recommend that you permanently install them, as they will lift the back end of the anchor up so that the flukes take a more aggressive angle into the sea bottom.

As I posted elsewhere, it is our firm contention that a properly set and well-buried Fortress anchor, with its two massive precision-machined and sharpened flukes, is not more likely to break free from a sea bottom during a wind or tidal shift than other anchor types, particularly those with far less surface / resistance area.

This contention is based upon the opinion of a 40+ year US Navy soil mechanics and anchor design expert, the 25 years of testimonials we have heard from Fortress owners all over the world, particularly from those in our hurricane region and "backyard" here in south Florida, as well as from independent test results.

One such independent test was done by the Sailing Foundation, in which they conducted straight, then 90°, and finally 180° pulls on the anchors tested. A 24 lb Fortress model FX-37 held to the maximum of 4,000+ lbs in the three pull directions, and no other much heavier steel anchor (i.e. Bruce, CQR, Davis, Delta, Luke, Max) was close.

All of that noted, we will readily acknowledge that sailboats oftentimes do not have the engine power to back down hard enough on the more massive Fortress anchor to bury it deeply, and therein lies a key issue in how it performs (or not) during off-center loads.

Here's an interesting comment from the Sailing Foundation test which illustrates this point:

The Fortress set so deep that the rode had to be hauled in to 1:1 and significant power applied to rode by the 83,000-pound tug to break it free. It is doubtful that a sailboat would have windlass power to break it out. Perhaps large primary winches or a rising tide might be adequate. However, it is also doubtful that a sailboat could have set the anchor that deep in less than a full hurricane.

Our company founder/owner, who was a lifelong and very adventurous boater with a 1,000 mile trip up the Amazon River, several Atlantic crossings, and a circumnavigation on his resume, said that "once an anchor breaks free from a sea bottom, it is oftentimes no longer an anchor....it is a massive ball with no remaining sharp edges in which to re-penetrate into the sea bottom".....and in this circumstance, re-setting is not possible.

This is one of the reasons why we note in our "Safe Anchoring Guide" literature that if you are expecting a wind or tidal shift, its a good idea to set two anchors for maximum safety.

Otherwise, a large heavy plow type might serve your sailboat better.

Safe boating,
Brian Sheehan
Attached Thumbnails
anchor type question-sailing-foundation.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to BrianFortress For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (09-16-2013)
Old 09-15-2013

daledog is on a distinguished road

Well..Having lived in hurricane alley in Oriental NC where you are required to put out to anchor at many marinas, and having worked with the dockmaster putting boats out and setting all types of anchors for hurricanes I say;

a. least amount? bad question. What can I be SURE will never drag? Better question. Bottom is the first question. If you are always going to anchor on a soft bottom a Danforth is great. Legendary holding strength. BUT...if you ever anchor in weeds or rocks...not so good. Also, a Danforth will break free if you do a 180 on the hook. Always best to have two good anchors. Plows are great and you can find one for $100.

I know I know. Weight. Depends on the anchor. The chart is low, minimum in my opinion. Get a 20lb Danforth. At least a 25 anything else. Were it me and cost isn't an object I'd get a 35lb Manson. Frigging fantastic. That and 30' of chain you'd never drag.

Chain is as important as anchor tho. Ok. My bottom line suggestion considering a budget? Get a Lewmar plow with 20' chain on 200' of line I'd get 5/8" not 1/2". And have a Danforth 20lb with same rode.

Best anchoring configuration is two off the bow at a bit less than 90 degrees. Wind can shift all day...
Old 09-15-2013
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Couple of comments. I think the OP's solution for his situation makes perfect sense. More generally I think it is worth mentioning knockoffs of older brand name anchors - Danforth, CQR, and Bruce come to mind. The clones are not created equal to the original in terms of strength of construction and even details of design. They are attractive in terms of price (seen current prices for a real CQR?) but caveat emptor.