Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2013

abrahamx is on a distinguished road
anchor weight question

Edit: Really I am just looking for what weight range I should be looking at and what is the least amount of chain can I safely get away with? Tartan 30 8500lbs

Looking for a new anchor. Trying to see what type would be best for me and how heavy. I'm in a Tartan 30 in lake st clair. I believe it is mostly a sand/muck bottom. Lots of folks in the local bayliner forum are suggesting a 33 lb rocna. What would your suggestions be?

Last edited by abrahamx; 09-12-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2013
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road
Re: anchor type question

You must buy a $500 new second gen anchor plus 200' of chain, and an electric windlass.

You couldn't possibly get by with the traditional anchors that have worked and been recommended for decades, like a CQR, Yachtsman, Danforth, etc. - which can now be bought used for $25-75. Your boat will break loose, hit someone else's boat, smash up on the rocks and explode, killing everyone within a 10 mile radius. I have been using a traditional anchor with three-strand nylon and a short chain for years without any problems, never dragging, but I was recently informed it was entirely due to luck and had nothing to do with my good judgment and seamanship.

It is also theoretically impossible that the marketing departments of the second gen anchor manufacturers would ever publish questionable test results or post threads on sailing forums without revealing their commercial interests, all to make a profit on a device that did not need to be reinvented.

Now, go ahead, spend $1,000 and put 300 lbs. of unnecessary weight in the bow of the boat where it hurts your performance the most...

Last edited by jameswilson29; 09-12-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-12-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Is there anything wrong with the anchor that you have or are you being pressured into buying something different?

I always heard that one should use a Danforth where I boat. I have a Delta that works wonderfully, even better than wonderfully sometimes. I'm not getting rid of it if it's working.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-12-2013

I dont currently own an anchor. Not sure what weight I should get mainly. I was originally considering a danforth but not sure how much weight I should get. I was considering getting 30' of chain also but am open to suggestion. My situation is one where I usually just do some day sailing and will rarely anchor anywhere but will sometime and its nice to have one for saftey sake. My boat is sensitive to front weight so the samllest amount that is still safe is preferable. Same with the chain. If I can get by with 5' all the better. Its why Im here asking.
Old 09-12-2013

Jiminri is on a distinguished road

Uh, oh. Here we go again. I'm putting on some popcorn. Anyone want some?

To the OP, here's my take on anchors and your situation.

--Traditional style anchors work.

--Some/many folks believe that new gen anchors may work better. (I fall in that camp. I don't have one, but that's because they don't fit my bow roller.)

--Do you need "better"? I don't know. My 33# genuine Bruce seems to do fine in the Chesapeake.

--Rocna/Manson/Mantus seem to be very close in performance, based on the posts on SailNet.

--Bottom line: I'd put more weight on what's working (and not working) for sailors in your area. I think anchoring (docking, mooring, etc.) varies by locality. Local knowledge is most relevant.

Have fun sailing! And anchoring!

Jim

Nonsuch 30 Ultra #343 1986
West River, MD
Old 09-12-2013

and by the way.....I dont even own $1000 so no can do
Old 09-12-2013

uh oh sorry to open the can of works. Really all I need to know is what weight should I be looking at for a 30' tartan at 8500lbs? And how little of chain can I get away with. Never mind the type! Edit: I changed the name of the title for this thread.Edit:Unsuccessfully I guess

Last edited by abrahamx; 09-12-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-12-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

I question anyone who takes advice from the "Bayliner Forum".

The first question is:

What kind of bottom are you going to anchor in:
Mud? Sand? Rock?

Danforth anchors are just fine in mud, decent in sand, and not so good in rock. A Danforth anchor may be slow to re-set if the boat gets turned around by wind or current.

A Bruce anchor works pretty well in all 3, and usually re-sets a little better.

A Delta anchor sometimes lacks the fluke width necessary to hold well in very soft mud, especially if the anchor is under-sized for the boat. Otherwise, see: Bruce.

CQR anchors have a pivot point that is supposed to aid in re-setting and resisting becoming un-set. I am not a fan of these.

Danforth, Bruce and Delta are older model anchors that can be had for less money than the latest, hottest generation of anchors.

FWIW, my boat is very similar to yours. My typical anchoring conditions are mud, so I'm using a Danforth with 30 feet of slightly oversized chain, and 200 feet of 3/4" 3-strand nylon rode. I find that the oversized chain helps the anchor set more easily by keeping the angle of attack horizontal.

I consider my ground tackle to be "adequate" for week-ending. Not excessive or under-strength.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 09-12-2013

HOW HEAVY should one be for a tartan 30 that weighs 8500lbs? as stated, sand mud bottom. Whats the shortest length of chain I can safely get away with?
Old 09-12-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Anchor weight guide
FinallySailing likes this.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manatee For This Useful Post:
abrahamx (09-12-2013), eherlihy (09-12-2013)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.