Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-13-2013
Ticon 30

dbruce85 is on a distinguished road
Westerbeke Glow Plug

Has anyone ever found the "real world" cross reference for the Westerbeke 034380 glow plug. They are out of a W46 engine. When I crossed referenced the plugs for my Universal 5411 the price went from around $50.00 for the Universal part # to around $8.00 for the exact same plug ordered from a tractor dealer.
Thanks, David
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2013
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Westerbeke Glow Plug

Actually, the glow plugs for a friends Universal diesel were closer to $90 a piece at Torreson.
We found them for $8.xx a piece at a Kubota tractor dealer.

If the engine block is a marinized Kubota you need to look up which Kubota tractor your engine was used in. You can then go to a Kubota tractor dealer and get the part for a reasonable cost.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-05-2014

AmandaK is on a distinguished road
1996 Catalina 28 MK II, won't start...

I am having a problem starting my 1996 Catalina 28 mk II.

It's a very bizarre thing that's going on. I successfully started it one week and then 4 days later, all it did was sit at the dock, it wouldn't start (this was about 6 weeks ago). I checked the batteries and they were extremely low at 6V so I thought "well there's the problem, I need new batteries!". New batteries arrived today, installed them, fully charged and the boat didn't start!!

It's a new starter on the boat, so it's unlikely that's it. The fuel pump seems to be working fine. Someone suggested that it might be the glow plugs, but it's not even turning over... I tried ether in the air intake a number of times and that didn't start it...

Also the new batteries appear to be draining very quickly with every attempt to start the boat... too quickly.

Any suggestions, at all, would be great.

Thanks,

Amanda
Old 02-05-2014

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

Glow plugs are hardly your problem if the engine wont turn over.
Way to many problems here to resolve on the net.
1. Shore power to battery charger
2. battery power to starter
Figure that out first.
Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to jimrafford For This Useful Post:
AmandaK (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014

engineer_sailor is on a distinguished road

I've heard of people having issues with the glow plug button. The button must be depressed for the engine to start. Intermittent or poor button operation/contact might make it seem that batteries are low.

Your batteries running down hint at other issues like a short or other drain.

I've also heard that the wiring harness on 80's era Catalina's was inadequate causing lots of voltage drop.

Btw, I have an 1985 Cat 27 with Universal M-18
Old 02-05-2014

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Can you turn the motor over with a wrench on the crank pulley? If so, it appears something in your wiring is bad. A quick drain down of your new batteries indicates a serious short or leak to ground. You might try:

1. Disconnect all the wires on the hot side of your battery

2. Test each with with an ohm meter to ground, they should all be "open", no reading on the meter, unless there is something turned on with diodes in it, if so, turn the item off or un plug it. The wire to the starter solenoid or directly to the alternator may show some reading because of the alternator
having diodes in it. I don't think it should be a low level resistance reading, however

3. Isolate any wire, either at the battery, or at the fuse/breaker buss that shows a resistance reading

4. Make sure the wire or wires from your alternator are re-connected to the hot side of the battery before starting the engine, do not run the alternator "open".

5. With everything but the alternator wire(s), or the wire to the starter solonoid removed from the hot side, use a heavy jumper cable to connect battery to the starter terminal. If it turns over but won't start,
jump to the glow plugs for about 5 to 10 seconds, before trying to start again.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on anything, only relating what I would try on my own engine. Use this information at your own risk. If you are not fairly knowable about electrics, I strongly suggest you hire a good reliable licensed electrical tech to help you. Let us know what you find.

Paul T

Forgot this. If your engine has pre-combustion chambers, & I think it does, I have read that using ether in them can cause heap big damage. I used just a small whiff in a VW diesel once and got away with it, but I only did it once.

Paul T

Last edited by dabnis; 02-05-2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-06-2014
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: 1996 Catalina 28 MK II, won't start...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaK View Post
I am having a problem starting my 1996 Catalina 28 mk II.

It's a very bizarre thing that's going on. I successfully started it one week and then 4 days later, all it did was sit at the dock, it wouldn't start (this was about 6 weeks ago). I checked the batteries and they were extremely low at 6V so I thought "well there's the problem, I need new batteries!". New batteries arrived today, installed them, fully charged and the boat didn't start!!

It's a new starter on the boat, so it's unlikely that's it. The fuel pump seems to be working fine. Someone suggested that it might be the glow plugs, but it's not even turning over... I tried ether in the air intake a number of times and that didn't start it...

Also the new batteries appear to be draining very quickly with every attempt to start the boat... too quickly.

Any suggestions, at all, would be great.
We need more info. than "the boat didn't start" to get to a specific diagnosis.

Does the engine turn over at all? If not, does the crankshaft turn if you release compression, and use a wrench to turn the crankshaft?

What happens at the volt meter (do you have one?) when you try to engage the starter? Does the voltage drop, or does it stay constant? Is there voltage at all?

Is there a fuse on, or near, the battery? Is it blown?

Did you properly engage the starter (push & hold preheat button while pressing the start button)? Did you notice any noise / any strange smell?

I could go on...

Get us more info, and we'll help you out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 02-06-2014

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Yes most people seem to use the term "won't turn over" inaccurately. It means, the engine crankshaft does not rotate.

This sentence worries me : "It's a new starter on the boat, so it's unlikely that's it". The MOST likely cause is the thing you changed last.

Why would you spray ether into the intake to make it turn over?

Last edited by MarkSF; 02-06-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 02-06-2014

AmandaK is on a distinguished road

The boat does not turn over. I don't believe I am using this loosely as 3 other men have tried and all used the term "not turning over". They are all stumped as to what the problem is.

The starter wasn't the last thing changed, it was changed a year ago. The raw water pump and head gasket were the last things changed on this boat. The boat ran fine for months and now just won't start.

I tried it again this morning and it just chugged... the longer I kept the key turned the slower the 'chugging' got... like it was losing power.

I tested the brand new, fully charged batteries this morning with a handheld voltmeter and they both registered at 13.8 before I attempted to start the boat (unsuccessfully) and then after I measured them again and both were down to 12.3.

eherlihy: haven't tried the crankshaft yet. I'll let mechanic know to try that. i haven't tested the voltage while engaging start motor, but tested before and after. i'll try today and testing during. there are no fuses blow on/near the battery. yes the glow plugs button was engaged from a minimum of 15 to a maximum of 30 seconds prior to attempting to start the engine. other than the strange chugging of the engine there wasn't any odd noises. no odd smells. no smoke from the engine.

marksf: you use ether, better known as starting fluid, to make it turn over. starter fluid is sprayed near the air filter intake in order to get additional fuel to the combustion cylinder quickly... doing this can avoid wear and tear of the starter motor when it won't start...

From the research we have been doing online I am leaning toward engine_sailors suggestion of there being some kind of short or drain specifically affecting the starter battery connection. The 'house' battery seems to be working fine and there is no problem running all the accessories on the boat.

I am going to try a bunch of the great suggestions given here (thanks!). If anyone has any more questions or suggestions they would be most welcome!!!

One other thing it's -1C here (30F). cold, but i've started my boat in colder than this.
Old 02-06-2014
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

So the engine IS turning over. The issue is that it is not starting - or to use the venacular, "kicking."

With that info, I can tell you to not bother with the wrench on the crankshaft.

Assuming that this is a diesel, the engine only needs 2 things to start; compression and fuel/air mixture. If there is a compression release, then make sure that it is not releasing the compression in the cylinders, and try to start. The next test would be to preform a compression test on each cylinder. Diesel engines generate 350-500 PSI during the compression stroke.

If that's not the issue, then I suspect that there may be a problem with the fuel/air mixture. Diesels are very picky in that they require a steady supply of clean fuel to be supplied to the injectors. Have you checked your filters? Have you bled the engine lately? If not, those would be my next two steps.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
The Following User Says Thank You to eherlihy For This Useful Post:
AmandaK (02-06-2014)