Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-13-2013
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Re: Add Roller Furling: Cost estimates

If your reasonably handy it is an easy enough job. Read the directions thoroughly. Then read them again while looking at the parts so you can see how they work/go together. I installed a Profurl on my previous boat (Tartan 34), by myself, with the mast still up. Took about 3 hrs but was easy enough.

I agree with Faster, plan on $2k +/- (and worth every dollar)
Old 09-13-2013

mstern is on a distinguished road
Re: Add Roller Furling: Cost estimates

I'm with Tommays; I was fine with my hank on jib, but once I put the roller furling on, it was like a revalation. I'll never go back.

I spent $800 for the whole thing: furler, hardware, and jib mods for an Oday 23. My sailmaker is a CDI dealer, and he knows he has to compete with the internet, so he offered to sell me the unit for whatever the best price was I could find online.

For the furler (CDI), I had my sailmaker put the thing together for me. It didn't look difficult, but getting the foil to flatten out is really a two man job and I didn't have help readily available. I did the "installation" myself with the mast down. I had a luff tape and foam put on my jib, and I bought some stantion blocks to run the furling line back to the cockpit. One thing to keep in mind with the CDI: if your current headstay is already "long" (i.e., your turnbuckle is already adjusted to take up a lot of slack), then you will probably need to replace the headstay. The CDI uses the existing turnbuckle/headstay and if it can't be shortened enough to accomodate a portion of the furler's length, you will have to buy a new, shorter headstay. I had just replaced all of my standing rigging a year or two before buying the furler so I really didn't want to have to buy a new headstay; luckily, things fit just fine.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook