Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-13-2013

jasn is on a distinguished road
Online Resources for Finding Local Repair Pros?

Anticipating putting my first sailboat on the hard here at Herrington Harbor North, on the Western Shore of the Chesapeake, until next spring, so that I can have several refit projects done to her before dropping her into the water next season, I'm curious if there's any online resources for finding good boat repair/refit pros in the area.

CaptainRated looks like it wants to fill that need, but like with many online resources, it needs participation to flesh it out more fully. So far, it really only has some reviews for brokers, surveyors, and transportation companies. Locally Chesapeake Bay Magazine's Best of the Bay 2013, provides some recommendations for companies in some general categories. However, if I wanted to hire someone to refinish all of my interior woodwork, and do some custom woodwork, it's tougher to find information on those kind of pros locally.

Any suggestions for other resources would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Online Resources for Finding Local Repair Pros?

Have you tried Active Captain?

Given your location, actually Sailnet may be one of the best resources. There are a ton of locals (to you) with a lot of experience. Post the question here and see what kinds of responses you get.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-14-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

I can't think of anything like Angie's List or Washington Checkbook for the marine trades.

You can certainly use Portbook ( Annapolis - Marine - PortBook ) to identify candidates but there is obviously no rating involved. You might try to develop relationships with some brokers and ask their advice. If you are an SSCA member send the local cruising stations a note to ask their experience.

The challenge with most ratings is that people don't really have much comparison. Most of us know that someone worked out or didn't, but don't have the breadth of experience with different tradesmen to compare one to another. Active brokers are probably your best source of information.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-14-2013
Not that kind of Captain.

boz86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasn View Post
Anticipating putting my first sailboat on the hard here at Herrington Harbor North, on the Western Shore of the Chesapeake, until next spring, so that I can have several refit projects done to her before dropping her into the water next season, I'm curious if there's any online resources for finding good boat repair/refit pros in the area.
Not woodworking related, but for marine electronic service I like Marine Technical Services (MTS) in HHB North. Not because of work they did for me, but because he told me something to try myself before paying him to service the boat.

They'll get my business for sure. I like demonstrated integrity.
Old 09-14-2013

jasn is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies folks. I figured it would be a bit more difficult to find ratings like these. (I even tried Angie's list and the listings for Boat Repair, were few and all lumped together).

Portbook does indeed look like a place where I can at least find different trade pros, and that's a start. I just now searched for wood, and found several boat woodworking pros.

Thanks again..

Jason