Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-01-2004

dsprygada is on a distinguished road
Cell phones on laptops?

Heading to Florida next week and need your help. Trying to find an Internet Service Provider that has dialup service that will allow the laptop to connect (dialup)via a cell phone. The problem is that most dial up modums requries a dial tone in order to connect. Of which there is no dial tone on a cell phone. Anyone out there using a cell to connect. PLEASE let me know your ISP. Florida local numbers a plus, but not a must.

Thanks,
Dave on soon to be.....
s/v No More Mondays
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2004

waltward is on a distinguished road
Cell phones on laptops?

Dave

Hope the boat is still there when you get down there, After Frances goes through.

Where is the boat at?

Walt Ward
Old 09-03-2004

39512 is on a distinguished road
Cell phones on laptops?

I have been using Verizon Mobile Office with our onboard laptop for 3 years with great success. Verizon has software for a number of handsets. We use Motorola v120''s because you can charge the phone through the USB connection while connected to the internet.

Verizon is the ISP, but our homepage is set for MSN. Initially, I used free minutes early and late in the day to get weather updates and e-mail. Later I added unlimited cellular internet for around $69 monthly.

We added a cellular booster and antennae on an 8'' mast (removable deck mount since we are a race boat) and it significantly improved our range. There was only one place in South Carolina where we experienced connection delays, and that was only for a half an hour.

If you explore using Verizon, make sure the Mobile Office software for the phone you choose is compatable with the laptop operating system. Motorola needs Windows 2000 or XP. Kyocera phones can operate with Windows 98.
Old 09-04-2004

dsprygada is on a distinguished road
Cell phones on laptops?

Hey 39512:
Thanks for the Verizon info. Your info was right on as I tried to load Mobile Office and it would not load or should I say connect on my Win 98. After having 2 laptops blow up this week, it was refreshing just to buy a new one, load it, and have it work first time. Speeds are quite slow at 14.4 kbs, but then I''m spoiled with having satelite connections at 1200 - 1300 kbs at home.

To Walt: The Manta Cat has 17 dock lines on her at Davis Island which is in the east bay of Tampa Bay, right Downtown. These were left on after Charlie decided not to pay Tampa a visit on Friday the 13th, and slammed into Punta Gorda instead. It looks as though the eye (as a 60 knt.tropical storm)is coming within 30 mi. north of Tampa and winds may be 40 - 50 mph. Looks like we may get lucky again. We''re heading there on the 13th to head down to the Keys for a month. Just in time for IVAN !!! Enough already!!!

Dave
Old 09-05-2004

Nereus32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cell phones on laptops?

FWIW, I use sprint pcs and usb it to my laptop. One modem ****** dialing #777, and I''m in. Sprint PCS Vision plan is an additional $15 a month. Works fine, albeit slower than expected. I connnect at 255K, but see real speeds of that around dial-up.

Getting started was easy, however, sprint was no help at all. As a matter of fact, they won''t even admit that this works, although they will admit you need a PCS Vision plan to save yourself a boat load of minutes if you do it.
Old 09-19-2004

inshallamiami is on a distinguished road
Cell phones on laptops?

Dave--we are on the hook in miami and currently use Cingular,a Sony Erricson phone, and Windows XP. It works very nicely! I recommend contacting the cell phone companies first and hope to god you don''t get an idiot (we have many,many idiots in florida)