SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Run our 2012 Honda 9.9 hp outboard up out of the water? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/103693-run-our-2012-honda-9-9-hp-outboard-up-out-water.html)

SanDiegoChip 09-14-2013 05:11 PM

Run our 2012 Honda 9.9 hp outboard up out of the water?

Hi,

Got a quick question.

Can we run our 2012 Honda 9.9 hp outboard up out of the water?
It is mounted on the stern of our sail boat. We would like to connect the hose attachment to the motor and then run the engine for a bit to worm it up while the hose is running water through it. Then we will change the oil. All while it is out of the water.
See any problem with this?
Currently in Paradise Village Marina in Puerto Vallarta Mexico.
Thank you,
Chip

mitchbrown 09-14-2013 05:32 PM

Re: Run our 2012 Honda 9.9 hp outboard up out of the water?

its no problem running the engine as long as the Hose/Clamshells are delivering to the water pump. you can usually tell if the motor is pumping water as it will be spitting water out of the "pee hole" as well as the exhaust

mitchbrown 09-14-2013 05:34 PM

Also this is an excellent way to flush the motor with fresh water after each use or at least before putting it away for the winter

SanDiegoChip 09-14-2013 06:05 PM

Hi,
With the Honda outboard the manual said the motor need not run to flush out the motor using the garden hose attachment. So I was wondering if the Honda would have a problem running the water coming from the garden hose instead of the water pump? Or is the water from the garden hose going to the water pump? When I just connect the garden hose and run the water to flush the motor out it comes out the hole fine. Now if we start it and do the same thing with the garden hose would this cause a problem? I am thinking not but am not sure. I would like to be sure as we can not just run it to the Honda outboard motor dealer here in Puerto Vallarta Mexico.
Or am I making a big deal out of nothing like usual :)
Thanks,
Chip

fallard 09-14-2013 10:30 PM

The Honda 9.9 manual says "Do not run the engine." when flushing with the Honda garden hose fitting. It could be for safety reasons or it might be a problem (bypassing a thermostat?) for the motor.

dabnis 09-15-2013 10:45 AM

Over many years I have finally started to follow the manufacturers instructions. Maybe run it in the water to warm it up to change the oil, then flush it, per the instructions, out of the water?

Paul T

SanDiegoChip 09-15-2013 02:21 PM

Hi,
OK good thing I asked. This I most definitely missed in the manual!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallard (Post 1088747)
The Honda 9.9 manual says "Do not run the engine." when flushing with the Honda garden hose fitting. It could be for safety reasons or it might be a problem (bypassing a thermostat?) for the motor.

I will re-read and figure out where to go from here. We are going to blow up the dinghy soon and start makeing dinghy chaps. We will need to launch the dinghy and put the engine on it to worm it up :( We were planning to just leave the dinghy on the fore deck to take measurement's etc for the dinghy chaps. I guess it is never easy but we will get it done.

Let you know what I find out,
Thanks
Chip

jonasaberg 09-24-2013 11:24 AM

If you are gentle with the pressure/flow and observe water coming out of the tell tale hole, what could be the problem with running the engine?