Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-15-2013

ChuckBuck is on a distinguished road
Gas question....

Hey folks

With my 2008 Beneteau Oceanis 31 (and 34 and 37 I think are the same) the gas tanks for the galley stove are in the cockpit burred beside the life raft area - This is a bit of a pain to get to every time you want to turn on and off the stove for a cup of tea.

My question for the group is this, with the gas shut off directly below the stove, is it required/common practice to shut off the gas at the source (tanks in the cockpit) every time? The previous owner kept the gas on at the tanks and used the cabin shut off as regular practice ....I like the ease of use with his routine , but want to ensure its safe too.

Many thx!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2013

mitiempo will become famous soon enough mitiempo will become famous soon enough
Re: Gas question....

If the cabin shut off is a switch that controls the tank locker installed solenoid that is what many do. If you are leaving the boat for a while the tank can of course be manually closed as well.

Last edited by mitiempo; 09-16-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old 09-15-2013

jimrafford is on a distinguished road

There should be a solenoid at the tank. If there isn't one, install one before we read your obit!
Jim
Old 09-16-2013

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Best practice these days would be a solenoid at the tank, operated by a switch near to the stove - but accessible in case of a stove-top fire. The switch module should also have a leak detector attached, and can switch off the propane at the tank automatically in case of a leak.

With this setup I feel OK about the manual valve open on the bottle - although I'll still turn it off for the day's sailing, or if I'm leaving the boat.
Old 09-16-2013

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road

Mark has it right and the video is why it is necessary.

People are maimed or die in these accident.
Old 09-16-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Safe Boat Propane Installation
Old 09-16-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBuck View Post
Hey folks

With my 2008 Beneteau Oceanis 31 (and 34 and 37 I think are the same) the gas tanks for the galley stove are in the cockpit burred beside the life raft area - This is a bit of a pain to get to every time you want to turn on and off the stove for a cup of tea.

My question for the group is this, with the gas shut off directly below the stove, is it required/common practice to shut off the gas at the source (tanks in the cockpit) every time? The previous owner kept the gas on at the tanks and used the cabin shut off as regular practice ....I like the ease of use with his routine , but want to ensure its safe too.

Many thx!
As others have stated, above, one should have a Solenoid activated gas valve coupled with propane sniffers, and frankly, on that Bene, I'd be surprised if you do not, but if not, it would be wise to look into (see for example the Xintex S-2A Propane Monitor in the SailNet Store, above left). Beyond that however, it is also wise to keep one's propane shut off at the tank when not needed. We do so but also keep a couple of good quality Thermos bottles in the galley that we fill before shutting down the propane system after cooking a meal. One filled with just hot water, for my much better half to make tea or hot cocoa or instant soup with and one filled with coffee. We actually have a number of such bottles and, on passages, usually also have one filled with hot thick soup which can give one a good energy boost and warm-up on a long dark chill night passage. A good quality thermos bottle will keep its contents very hot for quite a long while and is more convenient than trying to heat a tea kettle of water underway, eh?

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."