SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Main halyard to the cockpit on a B24

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  MarkSF 
#1 ·
Running the main halyard to the cockpit on a Bristol 24, has anyone here done this? is it a good Idea?

Thoughts?

#2 ·
As on any other boat, if you run the halyard to the cockpit, you will need to run the reefing gear to the cockpit too. I thought about doing the same thing, and decided to hold off. I am finding it really isn't much of a problem to step up to the mast to raise sail, or reef.

#5 ·
I know it's been a while since the first post in this thread, but I'm gonna add my 2 cents anyway.

As a singlehander, I always consider the risks involved in leaving the cockpit. Some days it's no big deal, but on others it's downright frightening. Any way I can rig my boat so it can be sailed from the cockpit, I consider a safety measure. Every time I go sailing I raise and lower sails. Much less frequently, I end up reefing. Running your main halyard aft will probably cut out 90% of your cabin top time. Running a reefing line aft on your boom is a simple addition and would cut out the rest. Personally, I'd do both.

Peter
B24 #724

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.