Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 09-04-2004

wgwl13736 is on a distinguished road
courtesy flags

i recently bought a number of 12x18 foreign national flags intending to use them as courtesy flags, but when i later looked at a site that sold "real" courtesy flags i noticed that some were markedly different from what i bought,such as the bahamas. is there a "required" or "legal" courtesy flag or will mine be proper?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-05-2004

paulk is on a distinguished road
courtesy flags

The best place to check for current national flags may be the country''s website. It''s bound to have a picture. You could also email someone at an embassy or consulate. Some countries have different flags for different purposes -- look at our fouled anchor yacht ensign -- and you are correct in wanting to use the right one. There''s no point in offending a customs officer (or other citizen of the place you''re visiting) and showing off your ignorance by flying the wrong flag.
Old 09-12-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
courtesy flags

W, I think the question you''re asking is if you can fly the flags you have, even tho'' they may be ''similar'' but not ''correct'' in detail. The answer depends exclusively on where you are sailing. Flags in the Caribbean are usually something no one cares about unless it''s the crew...or a local who wants you to buy one from his brother. You may find an exception or two, in which case you can just pick up the local one where you are.

It''s a whole different ballgame in Europe, where flags (and other nautical etiquette) is taken seriously and, even when the officials seem unconcerned, the crew on the boat next door may be offended. We were once invited to dinner at a local Yacht Club in Lymington, on the Solent, simply because we were displaying proper flag ettiquete and my wife had stitched up a proper British courtesy flag, not the dinky dyed handkerchief most foreigners were displaying.

Jack
Old 09-12-2004

paulk is on a distinguished road
courtesy flags

To underline Woosh''s post, read Don Street''s article in the current Sailing World magazine. It tells about what happened to him when he had the wrong one hoisted...!
Old 09-23-2004

fer@fer is on a distinguished road
courtesy flags

Hi Jack

I understand that you are in UK right now.

Is the Euro Community flag an all the way courtesy flag i Euopean countries? Or you should raise the state flag?

Regards

Fernando
Old 09-24-2004

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
courtesy flags

Hello, Fernando:

"Is the Euro Community flag an all the way courtesy flag in Euopean countries? Or you should raise the state [national] flag?"

Every country expects one to display that national maritime ensign, the ''national flag''. You see the EU flag on some but not a majority of boats. It seems to be more a political statement (''pro-EU'' vs. ''anti-EU'') and a recent initiative by the EU folks in Brussels to mandate EU flags on all vessels met with stiff opposition in the UK, where they felt their national pride had been compromised by the mere suggestion!

It is VERY easy for those of us in North America to totally misunderstand the EU initiative, because we are raised to think in terms of ''federal'' govt. systems. The EU is essentially a trading union that has expanded and now touches on many aspects of not only commerce but other regulatory areas...but not much on local custom, criminal law or non-sales tax structure.

If you want to have some fun, just watch the EU member states'' dealings with the proposed EU Constitution over the next 18 months. We - and they - are about to learn a lot about the limitations on EU viability, I think...

Jack
Old 09-25-2004

courtesy flags

Hello JAck, Thank your for the inputs

"...If you want to have some fun, just watch the EU member states'' dealings with the proposed EU Constitution over the next 18 months.."

I do still continue to follow up your notes on the VAT circus at http://www.svsarah.com/Whoosh/vat_and_your_boat.htm

Keep on!!

fernando
Old 09-26-2004

928frenzy is on a distinguished road
courtesy flags

Considering when first introduced, the Euro was trading at about $0.90 to a US dollar, and that it now trades at over $1.20 to a US dollar, maybe they''re doing something right or we are doing something wrong or perhaps it''s a combination of the two.

My guess is that their struggle to draft a constitution for all of Europe will be no less difficult than the struggle our Founding Fathers had drafting a constitution for the 13 original colonies.

In case you haven''t thought about it, if the EU is successful, it will be the next "Superpower", as it already has become a major trading force in the world market.

This os not a time for the US to rest on its laurels (if we have any). :^(

Until it''s made official, I would display the flag of the country I''m in rather than the EU flag.

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~
Old 09-27-2004

flicker is on a distinguished road
courtesy flags

Oooo. I love international rumor. My understanding is that the European economic community will never be a effective threat to US economic dominance.

China however is another story: They devalued the Yuan in order to draw international investment and now China is not only producing a great deal of US imports, but is also the biggest buyer of US T-bills. (This is what I''ve heard; I have no statistics to back this up.)

So, in my search to stash away my cruising kitty in the most secure long-term manner, and, not particularly trusting the US economy to lead the world in the decades to come, I have come upon the thought of putting my cash into the Yuan before I liquidate and head out (in a year or two). So far this is just a thought. Are there any folks out there is the money biz who can really say if this may be a smart plan or just backing a losing horse?

Chas.
Old 09-27-2004

courtesy flags

"..when first introduced, the Euro was trading at about $0.90 to a US dollar, and that it now trades at over $1.20 to a US dollar..."

Actually when first introduced, back in december 12, 1998, with US$ 1.18 you could purchase one Euro. The Euro continue to devaluate itself since then, up to July 2001, when you could have purchased an euro with US$ 0,80. (Even with that exchange rate Nautor Swan was given away by Kymmene, while Hunter established their euro facilities)
Since then the Euro continue to appreciate (or the dollar to devaluate) up to now. Current exchange to Euro of US$ 1.22, means that dollar have devaluated only 3% since Euro''s inception.

This fact, does not change your statement since at some point the euro valu was 0.90, and since then the dollar devaluated.

My point in any case, is that with current exchange rate, is not going to be easy for the laborist governments in Europe, to sustain its "...major trading force in the world market..." (if any), subsidies to farmers, and the welfare state they are si keen of.

Regards
Fernando