SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Coolant for newer Yanmars

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Flybyknight 
#1 ·
This is more FYI from my research. But if ANYONE has better info please let me know. Probably most people know this all ready.

Problem: Yanmar recommends for my 4JH5E, Texaco Extended Life Coolant product# 7997. There is also a Havoline option but they seem to really emphasize the Texaco product. Now that Texaco, Havoline and Chevron have all merged the Texaco product can't be found.

After a number (a very LARGE number) of calls I was directed to Chevron 1 800 lube tek. They were great btw. The replacement coolant is Chevron Delo Extended Life Coolant.
Product versions
227808 - concentrated
227811 - 50/50
225111 - 60/40

I will be using the product 227811.

Here is the product info sheet.
https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/PDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=76884&docFormat=PDF

#2 ·
I doubt there is any need for a "special" coolant. Probably only matters if your engine is still under warranty and you want to play it safe.

BTW - my Yanmar manual says to replace the coolant every year, how many people actually do this?

But thanks for the info, you never know.

#4 ·
Please be very careful there. Diesels need more than antifreeze in the coolant.
Why?
Because of the high heat generated the water pump on a diesel pumps faster. That means that the coolant needs anti-cavitation ingredients which wear out. Also special anti-corrosion ingredients which also wear out.
Doubt the above?
Talk to a diesel service rep at any of the big 3 automakers.
Dick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.