SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Seafrost AC refrig ("shore assist") problem

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SchockT 
#1 ·
Howdy all,

We have a Seafrost SA-1 refrigeration unit that runs on AC and is air cooled. A few months ago it stopped cooling. i am a boat fridge newbie, so we hired a service tech to check it out. He found the RFD (drier) kept clogging up even after purging and refilling the system. We ordered a new (larger) RFD from seafrost, and things seemed to work properly for a while. A few weeks later we noticed that the fan would run but the compressor would start and then quickly turn right back off again. Allowing the cold plate to warm will temporarily solve the problem.

the line between the expansion valve and the cold plate frosts up a LOT (starting at the connection to the plate) and over time will frost the whole line to the valve itself. I think this is the point when the compressor stops engaging.

Does excessive frost indicate moisture (a leak)? or something else going on?
:confused:

#4 · (Edited)
It is hard to say for sure without more information such as suction and discharge pressures, but in my experience the symptoms you describe indicate that the system is low on refrigerant. The frost at the expansion valve indicates that what little refrigerant is left in the system is flashing off before it gets to the evaporator, leaving little refrigeration effect for the evaporator. The compressor is probably short-cycling on a low pressure control. Allowing the cold plate to warm up would reduce the symptoms because the warmer plate results in higher suction pressure. I am assuming the holding plate never gets right down to temperature?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.