SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

advantages and disadvantages of teak on fiberglass

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Andrew65 
#1 ·
Can someone point me in the right direction to which thread talks about the advantages or disadvantages of teak overlay on fiberglass? Or could someone tell me about it? I live aboard and my boat has some issues to address. I`m contemplating taking it off to get rid of it and glassing over all the holes to contain rot until the weather allows me to solve some rot problems. The teak is 27 years old and it looks like it`s time to make this move.

#2 ·
#3 · (Edited)
Yes, I`ll have a winter cover over it. October and some of November will be my weather window here to do it (winter shows its face quick here) and will bust my ass to get it done. I won`t half a$$ it. I`m currently on my bouy and I`ll be going to a marina for the electricity. I`m looking for the pros and cons of why it should be done. It looks good on other peoples boat, but the realities are different. What are the realities of having it on against it off? The ultimate plan is to take it south in a few years where it is warmer to live.

#4 ·
JMO, but I think in the long term you're better off without teak decks, unless they are 100% glued in place (ie no deck penetrations period). For an older screwed-down deck there's always the chance things are going/have gone awry. Removing and redoing doesn't do much more, I suppose, than giving you another window of healthy decks until the redo ages (though that could be decades, of course)

Many extol the non-skid virtues of teak decks, and the 'look', I've found that even teak gets uncomfortably warm underfoot in the tropics, as do many other even moderately dark contrasting nonskid surfaces. Teak decks needn't be 'high maintenance', but they are not 'no maintenance' either.

I think a rough looking teak deck could be deal killer if I were shopping... but of course that's just my opinion.... ;)

#5 ·
Thanks, This is the kind of information I`m after.

They are screwed down.

Is it also said that teak makes it warmer down below? Looking at the old girl analytically leans me toward taking it off with the long term in mind. No more dirt dwelling for me, afloat I shall be.

#6 · (Edited)
warm tropical sun on any deck is torture--that is why gods invented sea water fro washing and rinsing teak
those has all been gone thru in gory detail by thos eloving teak and thos hating it. .
the lovers say it is easy care, which it is.
the haters donot know how to care fro teak and consider it from hell. too bad.
teak used on boats in building was green teak.that isno longer available. kiln dried teak is available--not what you need for boat building.different stuff.
youshowed no pix so no one can see the condition of the wood. oh well. you could well save a lot of money by writing to leaky teaky yacht club for info on teak.
email to leaky teakyyachtclub@yahoogroups.com

teak makes a deck insulated from direct sunlight and therefore cooler inside boat.
if it were mine--i would unscrew and glue after epoxy. i like teak. it is good stuff,and best nonskid ever invented. all it really needs is daily washing -err douching--with sea water. that isall--but once someone has let it go than it needs some anti shrinking magic, such as unscrewing and regluing without screws. and some epoxy.

#7 ·
I like teak decks --- to look at on other peoples boats. The natural non slip finish is excellent. But not on mine.

I am going to disagree with Zeehag on the heat inside the boat. In the tropics it is significantly hotter inside a boat with teak decks and the heat seems to longer in the evening. I can not walk barefoot on a teak deck down here in the Caribbean on a sunny day where as it is no problem on a white grp deck.

But it was exactly what you are facing that made me decide not to have teak decks unless the price was so low that I could have them professionally removed and the substrate made good. People spend YEARS fixing them on a diy basis. Me I would rather be sailing.

#8 ·
I just finished sanding, tearing out old caulking, plugging, and such my "old teak" deck on the Rafiki 37 I bought in February. I recaulked, and bleached with oxalic acid when I was done, and I love the deck. So does everybody on my dock who walks by. The non-skid is fantastic, but it does get a little warm to walk on in a blaze. But, man, what a classic look for a classic boat.

Attachments

#9 ·
I have replaced a screwed down teak deck on a big catermaran before it was even launched.It was not screwed down either but the owner had used screws with washers to hold down the teak while the glue dried then he caulked it with sikaflex.The sikaflex shrunk over time and the boat had major leaks through the screw holes,when I tore the teak off the ply under the teak was a sodden mess and most of the kauri deck frames were rotten as well.I would recommend replacing your decks asap before they rot out.

#10 ·
Kunkwroter, beautiful layout on deck. That`s what I`m going to achive. Teak on the deck, but no teak on the cabintop.

Thanks for you comments, Sorry, but I don`t have pictures. If you look up randesund boatbyggeri and look under the 29 foot boats, you`ll see sister ships. It`s a type of Colin Archer gaff cutter, but with a cut off stern. I like the non-skid aspect too and, I agree, the looks are beautiful and isn`t really labor intensive to maintain, but if I can cut down on maintainence in anyway and keeps its beauty, so much the better.

I guess I`m being a little vague in my posting.

I do need to address some issues under the headliner (wood) because there are dark shadows forming around the skylight and aft corners of the overhead. It would be the teak on top of the cabin that I`d remove (an area of 7 x10 foot). I`d still keep the teak on the side decks since that seems to be in good order. The cabin top is where people sit to lounge and such, so if I took off the teak, it wouldn`t detract from its beauty, just give her a bit of o face lift. Since it rains like hell up here a lot, plugging all those screw down holes would make me sleep better in knowing that there is one less hole to worry about

In writing all this, a picture would help this conversation along. I`ll see what I can do.

Thanks agian all,

#12 ·
Thanks, My inquiry is with the long term in mind. The beauty of teak is obvious, but, yeah, all the holes turns me off of it due to the potential for leakage into my wood headliner which is under my glass deck. This is my dilemma.

#13 ·
So the rot is presumably in the deck which is cored ? If the deck is solid glass with teak over then where is the rot ?

Teak of course looks wonderful and yes is a wonderful non skid. Now while a teak deck in excellent condition is not a deal breaker for me there is no way known I would choose teak above other surfaces. Maybe not a problem in colder climates but down here in summer that deck gets very hot under foot, though it doesn't seem to pass heat into the cabin. So if I were in your situation and the teak had to come off I'd not replace it.

#14 ·
It would be a very rare boat indeed that had a 'solid glass' deck.

I agree that if it's a worry now, remove and do something else - applied nonskid, treadmaster, your choice, but even treadmaster isn't forever and it's another 'pain' to get off later on.

#15 ·
It goes like this...

teak
glass deck
nice wood headliner
stringers

...in that order. That`s the construction. The builder screwed down the teak through the glass into the wood overhead to hold it all together. It`s a strong deck, but it was neglected for at least 6 years before I bought it and now dark shadows are forming around the skylight. I don`t mind the work, it`s the start is why I come to the forum.

After reading and writing here, it seems like when you have to ask yourself when it`s time to reef. It`s when you think of it. For me, now the question is if it is time to start thinking of it. It`s also like tooth decay...it ain`t gonna cure itself.

#16 ·
It goes like this...

teak
glass deck
nice wood headliner
stringers

...in that order. That`s the construction. The builder screwed down the teak through the glass into the wood overhead to hold it all together. It`s a strong deck, but it was neglected for at least 6 years before I bought it and now dark shadows are forming around the skylight. I don`t mind the work, it`s the start is why I come to the forum.

After reading and writing here, it seems like when you have to ask yourself when it`s time to reef. It`s when you think of it. For me, now the question is if it is time to start thinking of it. It`s also like tooth decay...it ain`t gonna cure itself.
This is not the usual way to build a deck.

It sounds as if the screws holding the teak planking also hold the stringers in place - can you confirm that?
It would complicate the repairs a little bit..

Sounds that your only option is to get the teak off and make the deck (cabin top) watertight.
After you must decide what kind of surface you want.
-Paint, if you want to keep a classic look that could work
-Teak - only clued not screwed
-There are lots of other options depending on likes & $$

#17 · (Edited)
Thank you one and all for your generous time to respond to my question. It looks like I will be taking off the teak overlay. It won`t detract from my boat`s beauty. I wish I had a Picture to post.

I had asked for this information to convince the other half why it should be done and she agrees because I had supporting evidence from sound advice...meaning yous guys who responded. So it is With this last note, I Close my thread, but hey, I will check in from time to time to see if others have continued to Writes something...something which also will be well received.

I (cough cough, she) hasn`t decided what will go on top yet. That will be left for another thread she says when it is time to decide. Any more ideas out there?

This is why sailnet is a great venue.

Fair Winds Everyone...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.