Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: How many lumens do I need

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
So my boat has no interior lights, I'd like to set it up with at least 6 zones. By zones I mean areas, galley, nav station, head (enclosed), forward v-berth/ dinette, port and starboard reading bulkhead mounted lamps, engine room and aft cabin. Some will have white/red LEDs. I am totally clueless on how much light (lumens, candels, watts whatever ) are required for each area. Can anyone offer some advice on this? I will use LED lighting.
You might want to take a look at Energy Efficient Marine Cabin Light Selection. FWIW we replaced several of our overhead and task lights with fixtures by this company and the results have been very satisfactory with a good savings in energy use.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
So my boat has no interior lights, I'd like to set it up with at least 6 zones. By zones I mean areas, galley, nav station, head (enclosed), forward v-berth/ dinette, port and starboard reading bulkhead mounted lamps, engine room and aft cabin. Some will have white/red LEDs. I am totally clueless on how much light (lumens, candels, watts whatever ) are required for each area. Can anyone offer some advice on this? I will use LED lighting.
I have several different types of LED's on my boat: Sensibulb, Dr LED, and a few off the market types.

Money not an objedct, I still think the Sensibulbs are the best product. THey have a light frequency that seems very close to halogens. If you put it next to a halogen, it will have a tad of blue to it, but when compared to the other LED manufacturers, it looks like a halogen while their's looks blue. Unfortunately, these are probably the most expensive of the LED's.

The Dr LED stuff is 'ok'. I think it is vastly overpriced for what it is, but the color is ok compared to off brands.

I bought some LED's off of Amazon for ~$6. I figured I could not go wrong and thougt it would be a good test. THey have held up remarkably well given their cost, but they are a definite blue.

So, my suggestion in all of this is to put the warm lights where they will be most appreciated (salon area). I would put the Dr. LED types where I read in bed. I would put the super cheapies where it doesn't really matter (head and stateroom - not reading though).

My opinions.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-20-2013

bblument is on a distinguished road

We replaced all the G4 halogen bulbs in our interior lights with two of these..

G4 6-LED Side Pin Replacement

and three of these...

Red or White Switchable LED G4 Bulb

They all throw more light than the original halogens, much, MUCH less heat, and don't seem to have the nasty very directional qualities that a lot of folks complain about when it comes to LEDs. They are slightly, and I mean slightly, less "warm" than the halogens... a little whiter rather than amber/glowy... but nowhere near that obnoxious blue-white early LEDs had. Make sure you order the warm version, and not the cool. The switchable red/white bulbs are really neat; no need to add an extra switch. Switch it on, it's red; flick the switch off/on again, it turns white. Turn off for a few seconds, then back on.. it's red again. Not only is that great for preserving night vision, it's also a great way to amuse your dog and young children.

We also replaced the festoon steaming bulb and the MR16 bulb in our Hella combination deck/steaming light with the following..

MR16 LED Bulb
3W Power LED
Linx

Perko 42mm LED Festoon Bulb for Navigation Lights

I am really knocked out by the quality of these bulbs and the customer service of this company. All are very bright, throw off very little heat, and, although the total tab for all of these bulbs wasn't cheap, it was MUCH less than replacing all the fixtures. I only have one 80aH battery on our P26, and no charger other than the outboard. Our usage is minute other than lighting; anenometer, depthfinder, and radio. Now, our lighting draw is minimal, too. Instead of having lights but being hesitant to use them, we can use them freely. I just take the battery home once in a while and put it on a good smart charger for a day.

You could spend a lot more, and probably get better. You could spend a lot less and buy some poorly regulated knockoffs (or maybe something just as good... I was hesitant to take the chance). I think these bulbs are a great mix of quality and value.

On the other hand... as everyone probably already knows... what do I know?

Best to ya.

Barry

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry

Last edited by bblument; 09-20-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-20-2013

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

This is all good information. I appreciate the personal stories. Has anyone experienced radio interference from the LEDs? I would think the fixtures/bulbs have some sort of switching voltage regulation which is more efficient than a current limiting resistor.
Old 09-20-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
This is all good information. I appreciate the personal stories. Has anyone experienced radio interference from the LEDs? I would think the fixtures/bulbs have some sort of switching voltage regulation which is more efficient than a current limiting resistor.
I have not, but I do not have a SSB.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-20-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Has anyone experienced radio interference from the LEDs? .

My mast top LED nav lights (red green, not tri-colour) shorten the AIR reception by quite a few miles.

But no problems in the cabin lights

Old 09-20-2013

outbound is on a distinguished road

keep lights off near antenna tuner, antenna and runs between -should be ok. Have not used pactor yet so can't say about that. have all ssb stuff on separate circuit. also currently fighting voltage drops from bow thruster/windlass/power winches screwing up Raymarine so mods for that may have eliminated this problem from the get go.
Old 09-20-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

AprilSails is spot on in mentioning heat as a contributor to short lamp life in LEDs. Simply attaching a length of LED strip without some form of heatsink will probably result in premature failure of at least some of the diodes.

Retro fit MR16 or MR11 LED lamps can be found with decent heat sinks and some (Philips comes to mind) are equipped with cooling fans. In a boat I am pretty sure that would be damned annoying and the lamps with decent heat sinks are likely to be to long to be workable on a boat.

I confess I've never heard of a 5000k lamp listed as "warm white" but tis true that the term is something of a moveable feast twixt 3000 and 3500k. While some folk are more sensitive to colour temperature than others, personally I find anything beyond 3000k (give or take 10%) to be out of my comfort zone.

We have used the G4 replacement lamps in the Womboat with no operational problems but they are in very well ventilated luminaires.

ps - a couple of the points in my earlier post require clarification .... the 300-400 lumens for task lighting was not meant to indicate that is what you would need or want on board. 200 should be more than sufficient. 5w halogen is not 300, should have read circa 200 depending on reflector efficiency.

For mine I'd go LED everywhere except reading, other than chart table, lights. No justification for this, merely my personal preference and what you like in lighting is quite subjective. I am constantly amazed that anyone can abide 4000k fluorescent in their homes, yet many people are quite content with this.

Then again some people are happy to sail Catalinas and live with smelly fat bulldogs.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 09-20-2013

Stu Jackson is on a distinguished road

Marinebeam Replacement LED bulbs for your existing boat fixtures also has good equipment.
Old 09-20-2013

bigdogandy is on a distinguished road

I replaced the incandescent lights in my boat with the West Marine red / white LED dome lights - one centered over each settee, one in the head, one over the fee- berth and one at the galley. They are awesome...... Have had the for over a year and they still work great. They are rated at 120 lumens, draw less than an amp each, and give just the right amount of light. The downside was they were $50 per, so it took about 6 months of buying one a month to get them all changed out.
1981 Endeavour 32

Be joyful though you have considered all the facts.
- Wendell Berry

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.