SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Pre-Launch Preparation Process

944 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SeaQwest 
#1 ·
I am preparing to splash my fiberglass 35ft sloop after several months on the hard. I still need to sand/paint the bottom, paint and refresh the boot stripe and cove stripe, and clean and wax the topsides. I thought I would tackle these chores in the order I just listed them. But now I am questioning the sequence of these tasks. I would greatly appreciate this forum's thoughts on what sequence makes the most sense?

Jim
Seaqwest

#3 ·
You have to be careful not to wax over fresh paint. Some shouldn't be waxed at all for the first several months.

Then again, you can't paint over wax either. Guess, you'll just have to be careful/precise either way.

Good luck. Thinking about launching right now be nice. I'm beginning to collect winterization supplies. Sad.

#4 ·
Thanks for your input jimgo and Minnewaska. I am in FL, so we are preparing to put our vessels back in the water. Part of me wants to wash and wax now. She does get dirty on the hard. But I am concerned about getting wax on the bottom before I paint. I think most people sand and paint the bottom first, then paint/refresh the boot stripe, and then clean/wax the topsides. I think that should be the sequence, but I was interested to see if others had a different take on the process.

Jim
SeaQwest

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.