SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Using ON OFF on Awlgrip (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/103933-using-off-awlgrip.html)

TQA 09-21-2013 01:48 PM

Using ON OFF on Awlgrip

Is it safe to use ON OFF on Awlgrip. I have a very dirty waterline with algae and scum and scale.

Last year I scrubbed scraped and sweated trying bleach and vinegar. Finally in desperation I tried ON OFF which shifted it like magic. Brush on wash off job done.

Now I read that it damages Awlgrip but how bad is the damage? Can it be any worse than the mechanical damage I would do by rubbing and scrubbing and scraping?

Faster 09-21-2013 01:53 PM

Re: Using ON OFF on Awlgrip

You've used it already?? some time ago? I'd think you'd already 'see' any significant effects if there was a problem.

I imagine the issue is worse if you applied in and left it some time, but on and rinse off right away would be less of a concern...

mitchbrown 09-21-2013 02:19 PM

I believe that Awlgrip goes to great length to make people think that there is nothing but awlgrip cleaners that should be used on awlgrip. They say you can't use compound on awlgrip. But the 80 foot yacht that I work on, gets buffed out once a year and waxed twice per year by a professional detail guy. and it looks fabulous.

RTB 09-21-2013 02:30 PM

On & Off instructions clearly state "For use on fiberglass only. Not for use on metals or painted surfaces".

No doubt, amazing stuff! I just used it for the first time. Takes the mustache off immediately. It also removes any wax too, and leaves the finish dull. Maybe it would affect a painted surface the same?

I'm tempted to try it on our PVC dinghy.

Ralph

poopdeckpappy 09-21-2013 07:03 PM

Boy, any thing that smokes out of the bottle? makes me nervous around painted surfaces

Maine Sail 09-21-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TQA (Post 1091861)
Is it safe to use ON OFF on Awlgrip. I have a very dirty waterline with algae and scum and scale.

Last year I scrubbed scraped and sweated trying bleach and vinegar. Finally in desperation I tried ON OFF which shifted it like magic. Brush on wash off job done.

Now I read that it damages Awlgrip but how bad is the damage? Can it be any worse than the mechanical damage I would do by rubbing and scrubbing and scraping?

I use ON/OFF Gel on our AwlCraft paint. I find it to be a tad milder than regular ON/OFF but still effective. They key with anything is to be smart about it. Yes, acids can etch Awlgrip & Awlcraft and harm the finish. However if you do small 2' sections at a time and IMMEDIATELY rinse and neutralize that section before moving on you will be okay.

Awlgrip/Akzo specifically says to not use acids but their tech support will admit that if you use it smartly you can be okay.

*Use the acid on a warmer day 80+ is best. This helps the acid work faster and this means less time on the hull.

*NEVER work on the sunny side of the hull only work the acid in the shade.

*Once the tannin staining is gone rinse IMMEDIATELY with a hose then neutralize the acid and move onto the next small section.

*Do not let it drip into the bottom paint

*Be smart about it.....

I have seen Awlgrip ruined by dumb use of acids. It looks very dull and etched. If you work fast and rinse often and neutralize you will be okay... recommended by the manufacturer, NO. can it be done? Yes, if done carefully...

sanssouci 09-21-2013 07:47 PM

DON'T

On off is muriatic acid, it is used to condition swimming pool gunite and cement sidewalks.

Also you can wax and buff awlgrip, but once the outside gloss is broken on the paint you are committed to waxing all the time.

TQA 09-21-2013 08:59 PM

OK so do in 2 foot sections and rinse off ASAP. It seems to work in seconds anyway.

Maine Sail 09-21-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TQA (Post 1091984)
OK so do in 2 foot sections and rinse off ASAP. It seems to work in seconds anyway.

Yes but I would use the ON/OFF GEL not regular ON/OFF. ON/OFF GEL is milder... I won't use regular ON/OFF even with immediate rinsing..

RobGallagher 09-22-2013 11:01 AM

Using it on a PVC inflatable is probably a bad idea.

I used it on my dink, Hypalon tubes seemed to be ok but the inflatable deck is made of PVC turned all sticky and developed a leak. The floor had to be replaced. It was an expensive mistake.

Amazon's inflatable cleaner is amazing stuff. IMHO