Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2013

Johnnycatt is on a distinguished road
Re: Old Glory, slightly moldy. What to do?

fortunately, i think it is HIGHLY relevant...

I said to burn it, that is the proper method of disposal. to be quite honest, in my "wave the flag - go USA" days I would have actually found it HIGHLY disrespectful to use oxyclean or throw it in the washing machine.

now, if you would like to critique my method of replacement, you have that right, but as far as my "disposal method" not being relevant, then maybe you have a better suggestion that is somehow superior to what the VFW (I am a former member) suggests?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2013

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road

What is the material? If nylon cleaning with beach should not affect the colors. Just cleaned a nylon pennant to remove some mold. Tried a rough 20% solution of bleach in water. Was not strong enough. 50-50 bleach water worked. Drying in the sun also helps. If cotton bleach will remove the color.
Old 09-22-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnycatt View Post
to be quite honest, in my "wave the flag - go USA" days I would have actually found it HIGHLY disrespectful to use oxyclean or throw it in the washing machine.
Really? (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I rip the Made in China logo off.... or is that disrespectful too?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-22-2013
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnycatt View Post
fortunately, i think it is HIGHLY relevant...

I said to burn it, that is the proper method of disposal. to be quite honest, in my "wave the flag - go USA" days I would have actually found it HIGHLY disrespectful to use oxyclean or throw it in the washing machine.

now, if you would like to critique my method of replacement, you have that right, but as far as my "disposal method" not being relevant, then maybe you have a better suggestion that is somehow superior to what the VFW (I am a former member) suggests?
then how would have cleaned it? I would think having a dirty/moldy flag would be more disrepectful than cleaning it

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-22-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Bleach is a BAD IDEA. The flag will come out pink, sky blue, and blotched.

Oxyclean, often called an "oxygen bleach", or an enzyme cleaner from the supermarket shelf, will probably take it right out. When in doubt use warm water, not hot. Liquid Tide is often very good at removing stains, on a par with Shout! and the other stain cleaners in the supermarket. Anything that says it is meant for "grass stains" probably will do well.

No reason to get extreme and burn the flag, yet.

Every year someone gets in an uproar when uniformed paramilitary youth groups hold flag burnings. That'd be Scouts taking care of the worn flags in your local county park.
Old 09-22-2013

TTC said:
[quote] "I don't think any of Johnnycat's drivel has anything to do with the OP's question. And I certainly isn't relevant or welcome in a discussion on the proper disposal of a sailing ensign. " [end quote]

to be completely un-hypocritical, his post should be taken down for the EXACT same reason mine was taken down...

just sayin!
Old 09-22-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Point out the political content in his post johnny. The issue with your post wasn't the flag disposal by burning part, but the political part. If you want to share your politics, there is a forum here for that- start a thread there.

Last edited by bljones; 09-22-2013 at 09:29 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bljones For This Useful Post:
Johnnycatt (09-23-2013)
Old 09-22-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

[quote=Johnnycatt;1092367]TTC said:
Quote:
"I don't think any of Johnnycat's drivel has anything to do with the OP's question. And I certainly isn't relevant or welcome in a discussion on the proper disposal of a sailing ensign. " [end quote]

to be completely un-hypocritical, his post should be taken down for the EXACT same reason mine was taken down...

just sayin!

TTC's post was quite proper as a response to yours, which was quite rightly edited by my fellow moderator after TTC responded. Fast being a more sober thinker than I merely took out part of the drivel. I'd have flushed the whole thing.

As Fast has told you and as I reiterate ... you want to make any kind of political statment, take it to PRWG.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 09-22-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

If one allows themselves to do some google or equal searching, one can find proper ways to wash, mend, clean etc your US flag. Along with proper ways to dispose of it. Prefered disposing is by burning via the proper disposal ceremony.

I found 8=10 groups that will do such disposing.

So for those saying burning is not the proper way, I suggest you let your finners do the walking thru the internet!

Flying a soiled, stained or equal flag, would be a disrespectful of the flag.

Marty
Old 09-23-2013

Here is my rebuttal:

My post was NOT deleted for "political content" mine was deleted for being "off topic"..

I was encouraged to read the Registration Terms and Conditions of Service"

Guess what? I DID!!

As a matter of fact, I find NO RULE in the "Registration Terms and Conditions of Service" that say ANY response must be about the subject being discussed!!! NOR do I find any rule disallowing political discussion/conversation. THOSE ARE THE RULES YOU POSTED AND I FOLLOWED THEM – based on the current accusations you are making, I wish MY post re-posted!

So, the way I see it (via YOUR rules), neither MY comment or TTC's can be removed, under the rules, for being “off topic” or “political.”

As far as “on topic:” My post stated the proper method of flag disposal. TTC's offers no information pertinent to the original question. TTC could have recited a passage from “Little Women” or “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone” and been JUST AS “ON TOPIC!” as what he actually posted. The Moderators should be fine with that, though, as being “off topic” is not a violation of the "Registration Terms and Conditions of Service."

***WHAT IS A VIOLATION IS THE FOLLOWING ***

By TTC calling my statement "drivel" would definitely be a violation of Paragraph 13 of your own "Registration and terms of Service," which states:
"You may not post messages that are objectionable and meant to offend or incite conflict " TTC's comment has OBVIOUSLY "incite[d] conflict" and is definately "meant to offend." His post should be removed.

MY post should NOT have offended anyone, it was merely a suggestion of what someone MIGHT WANT TO DO to replace a flag - I was not promoting "boarding vessels" and ripping down flags and replacing them while the skipper is under duress of cannon fire! I say fly whatever flag you want to fly!

Also, TTC violated Rule 16 which states: "You may not use this forum to post messages that are meant to embarrass other members in an attempt to settle personal disputes."

TTC's aforementioned response was DEFINATELY meant to embarrass me by using the insulting word "drivel." By calling my statements “drivel” he obviously had “disputes” about my content. He could have simply sent a message to a moderator to have my comment removed. In regards to this, TTC's post should be removed.

Remember, I have NOT, yet, asked mine post to be re-instated; I am requesting you remove TTC's for violation of Rule 13 and 16. I would also like the reason mine was redacted to state the TRUE reason - Violation of rule 13 in that it contained "objectionable material.” (Since “objectionable” is subjective, I will confess to it, but the flag one flies is a matter of “taste,” like the paint color of the boat would be. Demanding that someone fly the USA ensign is “objectionable” to me – as it would be to a Briton, an Aussie, a Brazilian, etc.)

To say it is "Political" is simply a fallacy as I accused "the last 3 administrations" of violating the Constitution (Clinton, Bush and Obama) making it politically neutral. I referenced 4 federals laws only as logical support for MY reasoning to NOT replace MY sailing ensign with the flag of the USA.

That is my case AS YOU HAVE ASKED me to present. Now YOU need to remove the insulting post calling my post "drivel," or RE-POST my original content.

If YOU are going to allow SOME people to break rules (TTC), then YOU must allow all people to break rules.

The question is will you hide your own embarrassment by deleting this post or will you do what's right and delete TTC's post and re-instate mine. Why should his opinion count for more than mine (unless he is an owner of sailnet to which he has the full right to post/delete whatever he wishes)?

Thank you,
-=-JAY

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.