Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2013

Johnnycatt is on a distinguished road
Re: Old Glory, slightly moldy. What to do?

@TTC,

I have no ax to grind with you. You are free to love me or hate me - I don't care. i bare you no malace or anger; I do think you are misguided in your analysis of my statements, but that is YOUR opinion, and I'm ok with that!

Do you know why I'm ok with your differing opinion? becasue I believe in "freedom." so long as you don't violate my person or property, you are free to have whatever opinion you wish - just allow me the same courtesy...

I hand you an olive branch, my friend.

-=-JAY

Last edited by Johnnycatt; 09-23-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Really? (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I rip the Made in China logo off.... or is that disrespectful too?

Sir,
Using OxyClean or "machine washing" was, formerly, my opinion of "DISrespect for the flag." You can feel free to wipe mud from your shoes with the flag if you wish (as long as the flag you use is one you own - with or without a "made in China" tag)...

For me, now, I just choose to ignore it... how one chooses to repect the flag is one's own choice. TBH, I would no more desicrate a USA flag than I would a UK flag... it is just disrespectful to those who love it.

In those days, I would have found throwing "old glory" in the Kenmore a little disrespectful, but If you don't think it's disrepectful, then I would say, "use cold water and wash with like colors on the gentle cycle."

-=-JAY
Old 09-23-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Pounding on the people that make the rules here is kinda futile. Particularly when you pay nothing for it.

Further, this is an international forum. Thinking politics is limited to US D vs. R is failing to recognize the point.

There are flag etiquette rules. If one chooses to follow them, have at it. If not, no on is going to press charges unless you are trying to make a political statement in disrespect of the flag/country. Can't really make new etiquette rules, however. They are what they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-23-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnycatt View Post
Sir,

-=-JAY
Jay,

My name is Mark.

It clearly says so.

Please use it.

Thanks Jay.

Mark
Old 09-23-2013

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
If one allows themselves to do some google or equal searching, one can find proper ways to wash, mend, clean etc your US flag. Along with proper ways to dispose of it. Prefered disposing is by burning via the proper disposal ceremony.

I found 8=10 groups that will do such disposing.

So for those saying burning is not the proper way, I suggest you let your finners do the walking thru the internet!

Flying a soiled, stained or equal flag, would be a disrespectful of the flag.

Marty
Holy Moly, this was a simple question over doing laundry!!! (oh, I am the original poster, just in case this is forgotten). I kind of thought that this might be a little sensitive (was afraid I would end up on FoxNews as a flag-desecrator or something) but I did not expect these violent reactions.

Anyways, I will try Woolite, and if that fails, OxyClean. Thanks
jimgo likes this.
Old 09-23-2013

@Minnewaska,

I don't really mind having my post removed, it's their website, they can do whatever they wish. I was simply instructed to veiw the "Registration terms and use" to see why... funny thing was I had to REALLLLLYYYY stretch to find a rule I had broken, and I'm still not sure i've broken a rule.... and the rule(s) they claim I have broken doesn't seem to exist as of 6:00AM CST 23 September 2013.

I can follow rules, but when they just make one up AFTER THE FACT, it makes it kinda tough to know when i'm walking in a "grey area..."

I have never caused any problems here and will accept them not allowing my post, but as of now, NO ONE knows exactly what rule(s) I broke since the rule(s) they stated DOESN'T/DON'T EXIST!

understand my "quandry?" and if "off topic" is against the rules, there are now about 7 posts on this thread (incuding yours and Mark's) that need to be be removed... just sayin'

@Mark,
Sorry.
your post was unsigned and I didn't realize your "handle" was a "play" on your name, therefor, I used "sir" out of respect. and yes, I do think tearing the "made in China" tag off the flag is disrespectful since it damages the integrity of the flag's manufacture. If someone was to have the stiches removed, then remove the "made in China tag," then re-sew the affected area, I would think that was "respectful." but remeber, THAT is just MY opinion... it's your flag do whatever you wish to it... but do try to remember, there is a little bit of MY blood in those "red" stripes, ok? as well as 2 grandfathers and 3 great grandfathers, and a couple of great uncles (one still burried in France)...

-=-JAY
Old 09-23-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Jay

We generally try not to air such grievances in the public forum, but here we are.

You most certainly did not simply say 'burn the flag'.. your comments were a highly politically polarized viewpoint (you yourself posted a warning to that effect) and they were removed for that reason - there is another, less closely moderated forum here for that type of discussion. If I gave you the impression that it was only because it was otherwise non responsive to the topic, I apologize.

To be fair I've removed the offending word in TCCs response. Most members here have no trouble discerning the appropriate forums for various discussions and viewpoints.

So lets move on..

Ron
bljones, Minnewaska and jimgo like this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-23-2013

DonScribner is on a distinguished road

Whatev'.

The flag may be laundered or drycleaned appropriately for the fabric. Some drycleaners will do so for free. The flag may be trimmed slightly to get rid of tatters and may be sewn or stitched as necessary as long as the proper ratio in not altered.

National Flag Foundation National Flag Foundation

Respect and honor the flag as you should the country that it represents. You don't have to. That's the most wonderfull part. But you should.

Don Scribner USAF Ret.
jimgo likes this.