Join Date: May 2005
Thanked 32 Times in 31 Posts
Rep Power: 12
Re: Old Glory, slightly moldy. What to do?
From a VFW site on disposal
1. The flag should be folded in its customary manner.
2. It is important that the fire be fairly large and of sufficient intensity to ensure complete burning of the flag.
3. Place the flag on the fire.
4. The individual(s) can come to attention, salute the flag, recite the Pledge of Allegiance and have a brief period of silent reflection.
5. After the flag is completely consumed, the fire should then be safely extinguished and the ashes buried.
6. Please make sure you are conforming to local/state fire codes or ordinances.
Not as I remember from my boy scout days, I keep thinking one is to shred and burn, but if the fire is large enough, I can see doing it this way.
Also, not disposing of the flag appropriately, is a FEDERAL offense, and is punishable by jail time. This is assuming the OP's flag is not cleanable etc.
She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!