SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Vinyl Guage for Windows: Roll-up vs. Fixed

790 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Faster 
#1 ·
Most would agree that 40 mil Strataglass is perhaps the best choise for fixed windows where a more rigid material is not selected. There are other good brands. But what about windows that roll-up?

One answer is to zip them out and lay them somewhere safe. Yes, but on most boats there exists no safe place, not if there are kids and guests aboard for a 2-week cruise.

Another answer is to not roll them, just leave the up. Not possible with large enclosures when the mercury climbs to 3 digits and the wind dies.

I have noticed several things about rolling Strataglass:
* The heavier the material, the more force is used and the greater the chance of scratching.
* The heavier the material the greater the chance of cracking in cool weather
* The heavier the material the greater the distortion caused by wrinkles. Wrinkles seem unavoidable if the glass is left with enough slack that unzipping is easy and rolling practical (fixed panes can be drawn tight).

Thoughts? On my last enclosure It was suggested that 40 mil Strataglass was best, but I think for the 2 front windows that was a mistake.

Another question: is it practical to design the zip-out windows so that they are separately replaceable? That would certainly reduce the cost of maintaining that which gets damaged first. I might just have them make 2 sets and keep one in a dark place at home.

See less See more
#2 ·
We have fairly rigid Lexan 'glass' in our dodger.. the center panel unzips at the sides, unsnaps at the bottom and is simply flipped over (flat) on top of the dodger.. works well most days, esp at anchor where the breeze helps keep it there.

Kept clean and scratch free (the latter more difficult) this material is as good as glass for 'see through'.

Sorry, can't help with the mil selection of Strataglass..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.