SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Firm thin cushion material?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  zz4gta 
#1 ·
I'm looking to replace cabin and v birth cushions. For the cabin I've already thrown out the old foam cushion (badly mildewed and nasty looking) with a cheap Coleman camping mattress (like a thermarest). I found that super comfortable. It's also thin and light and makes it much easier to get to the storage underneath.

I'm just wondering if there is something that is thin and firm that I could use for the v birth cushion. I'd love to use a thermarest type thing but doubt that I can find one wide enough for two people or pointed in the end. I'm planning on making the v birth cushion more rectangular and parallel to the port side so it won't go the full beam like the old one.

Anyway, any options for a thin firm material that I could use as a mattress? I'm find of a really firm surface to sleep on but ultimately I'd like to make it habitable for female companionship so something that was generally comfortable would be good.

#3 ·
We used 2 inch Lux-R foam from the "Foam Factory" for our cushions in the salon. We found that they give plenty of support, and are comfortable to sleep on. You can buy a 2" thick sheet that is 48 X 82 for around 25 bucks and cut it to any shape you want. It comes in different thicknesses as well.

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.